Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-09-2010, 23:44   #1
sc86

Driving a recovery lorry, what do i need??

hi guys, looking into buyin a 3500 tonne recovery lorry and doin a bit of work with it, i can drive that on my normal car licence but is there anything else in need??

any opinions on this trade in general?
Advertisement
09-09-2010, 23:56   #2
Alanstrainor

Surely you'll need a C1 license for a recovery truck. The 3.5 tonne weight allowance for your B license includes any loads you carry. So if your truck ways that much, you can't legally carry anything with only a B license.
Thanks from:
09-09-2010, 23:56   #3
K80

need more than car licence

hi you have think of the load as well if you a jeep or big van you would be over weight and if any thing did happen the insurance company would run a mile and new thing now is you need a cpc for driving a lorry now its varies in price and cost beetween 50 and 70 euro to do and a whole day to do it from 8-5
10-09-2010, 00:02   #4
sc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80 View Post
hi you have think of the load as well if you a jeep or big van you would be over weight and if any thing did happen the insurance company would run a mile and new thing now is you need a cpc for driving a lorry now its varies in price and cost beetween 50 and 70 euro to do and a whole day to do it from 8-5
thats what i thought but a few lads that used to do it said you would get away with a car licence, im gona do the c licence anyway to be safe

whats a cpc licence mate?
10-09-2010, 00:09   #5
User Friendly
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc86 View Post
thats what i thought but a few lads that used to do it said you would get away with a car licence, im gona do the c licence anyway to be safe

whats a cpc licence mate?
its not a cpc licence.... its a piece of paper you get after sitting a course,there are 5 courses,you must do 1 per year.the first module is on health and safety,i di mine last week. i think,i may be wrong,but anyone who didnt have the cpc course done before the 9/11/10 has to sit a 5 day course.

1 of the main aims of the course is to catch out people who have false licences.... ie it is compulsory for all drivers with a hgv licence to have completed a cpc course while driving a HGV

i'll come back on this tommo..
Advertisement
10-09-2010, 00:12   #6
User Friendly
Closed Account

By the way...isnt there some thing now where you have to do some course if you dont have a trailer/caravan on your licence?... luckily i have it on mine,a lot of the lads i did a course with last week did not have the same as mine(i did my driving test in the Uk)
10-09-2010, 00:16   #7
ianobrien

Im open to correction but if you're collecting burnt out car, you'll need a waste operator's licence as well.
10-09-2010, 00:37   #8
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
Surely you'll need a C1 license for a recovery truck. The 3.5 tonne weight allowance for your B license includes any loads you carry. So if your truck ways that much, you can't legally carry anything with only a B license.
That's not really correct.
He not only can't carry anything legally on B licence, but he can't drive it legally even when a truck is empty.
3.5 tonne limit on B licence applys to the GVW (gross vehicle weight) which is a weight of the vehicle itself + biggest load it can carry.

It's stated in your VRC in point F.1 what is the GVW of the vehicle.

Other thing is, that I'm sure there are some towing truck with GVW of 3.5 tonne or less
Thanks from:
10-09-2010, 00:40   #9
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80 View Post
In the first place no insurance company would give you cover for a vehicle with GVW more then 3.5 tonne if you have only B licence.

CPC for 50 - 70 euro which lasts whole day, is a annual training for drivers that already have CPC. It's just to keep your CPC.
For someone new, you will have to pass additional test to get CPC.
Besides - It's not required to drive a truck.
It's required to work as a truck driver.
It you want to drive a truck privately or volounterly, you don't need CPC.
Also it doesn't apply to vehicles with GVW od 3.5 tonne or less.
Advertisement
10-09-2010, 00:44   #10
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc86 View Post
It's not a matter of being safe or not.
If you want to drive a vehicle with GVW more then 3.5 tonne, then you need C1 or C licence. No one will even provide you with insurance for such a vehicle unless you have proper licence.
10-09-2010, 00:49   #11
CiniO

[QUOTE=User Friendly;67928847]its not a cpc licence.... its a piece of paper you get after sitting a course,there are 5 courses,you must do 1 per year.the first module is on health and safety,i di mine last week. i think,i may be wrong,but anyone who didnt have the cpc course done before the 9/11/10 has to sit a 5 day course.
[QUOTE]

You are a bit wrong.
CPC is actually kind of a licence, which allows you to work as a professional driver.
If you had a C licence before 10th September 2009, then you automatically got your CPC. Only thing which you need to do to keep it, is to do 1 day training every year.
If you didn't have C licence before 10th Sept 2009, and obtained it later, then you have to pass a test to get your CPC. AFAIK test consists of 2 theory tests and 2 practical test. And this is in addition to your normal C licence test. So pretty much to get C licence + CPC you have to pass 3 theory + 3 practical testes. Some of them lasts for couple hours, and might be quite difficult. After you get it, you still need to do 1 day training every year, to keep your CPC.

Quote:
1 of the main aims of the course is to catch out people who have false licences.... ie it is compulsory for all drivers with a hgv licence to have completed a cpc course while driving a HGV

i'll come back on this tommo..
Never heard about it.
I think main aims of the course, is to educate drivers, about safety, ecology, etc....
10-09-2010, 00:51   #12
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Friendly View Post
By the way...isnt there some thing now where you have to do some course if you dont have a trailer/caravan on your licence?... luckily i have it on mine,a lot of the lads i did a course with last week did not have the same as mine(i did my driving test in the Uk)
Nothing like this.
If you have C licence, and want to drive trucks with trailers or articulated trucks, then you have to just stand a EC licence test. CPC has nothing to do with it.
10-09-2010, 07:56   #13
beam99

The ford transit tow truck is one that you can drive on a car licence.
10-09-2010, 08:20   #14
cormie

You'd be seriously limiting your business by only having a B license. If you want to do it properly, get the proper license and do the proper tests. You wouldn't even be able to tow a van if you only have a B.
10-09-2010, 09:25   #15
knifey_spoonie

Send a message via MSN to knifey_spoonie
Well it all depends on what you are looking at doing, and what chassis you want to put the body on.

If you put it on a Canter you wont legally be able to take a mini. If you put it on a transit chassis you will be looking at a legal payload of about 1300KG, If you out a body onto a Dyna you will be looking at a payload of about 1400KG.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion