Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread - Page 138 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Can you cope with more of Ryan Tubridy?
noooo...I am with you 229 64.15%
no..I've decided just now... no more! 60 16.81%
yes.. I am a masochist (or... yes... he's ok) 40 11.20%
yes .. I love tubberware and all things plastic 28 7.84%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

08-09-2011, 11:33   #2056
SEPT 23 1989

Funny place names today for the 12 year olds in the audience
Advertisement
08-09-2011, 11:37   #2057
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
Funny place names today for the 12 year olds in the audience
can they even say "muff" at that hour?

he's getting slaughtered in the media this week...
09-09-2011, 09:54   #2058
giftgrub

He is getting a hard time in the press, i think the hacks have taken a dislike against him.

I'm no fan but i thought yesterday's Herald article was a nasty piece of work...

Quote:
IS IT any wonder that Ryan Tubridy has lost touch with regular people?

The man who's supposed to lure housewives and working people to his show turns to the stuffy Irish Times for his views on the world.

If that's not bad enough, he drives around in a top of the range Jaguar saloon car. Hardly the acts of someone in touch with goings on in the real world.

But then again, the separated dad-of-two, who's on €533,000 a year, was never likely to know what it's like to struggle with money.

RTE is hoping the private school-educated South Co Dublin boy will be able to bring back the tens of thousands of viewers and listeners he's haemmorhaged from his two shows.

"He's going to have to get over his obsession with JFK, the Beatles and Gay Byrne. The slagging off he's been getting from Jim Jim Nugent on FM104 has hit a few nerves in RTE and Ryan has been told to get his act together -- fast," said an RTE insider.

My humble advice?

1. Do and read what ordinary people do, Ryan, and stop being such a toff.

2. Be more in touch like your hero Gerry Ryan.

3. And, dare I say it, the Jag and the Times should be the first to go!

- Ian Mallon
Really unfair piece if you ask me.
09-09-2011, 09:57   #2059
Bard

Send a message via Yahoo to Bard Send a message via Skype™ to Bard
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftgrub View Post
Really unfair piece if you ask me.
Unfair on who? The Irish Times?
Thanks from:
09-09-2011, 10:12   #2060
Ash.J.Williams

He got slaughtered again in the indo today, they obviously smell blood.

Funny thing is, if he was replaced by someone "i" like, the ratings would probably drop more! eg Mrs Brown and killinascully are the biggest things on tv...The savage eye on the other hand was not even close..

I did laugh at the hack in the Sindo last week who reckon all of us here would prefer to watch "24" all day...ha

Last edited by Ash.J.Williams; 09-09-2011 at 10:17.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-09-2011, 10:15   #2061
giftgrub

The herald seems to be saying that if Tubs read a red top, arrived to work in a white van with a breakfast roll and a fag everything would be ok....
Thanks from:
09-09-2011, 10:20   #2062
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftgrub View Post
The herald seems to be saying that if Tubs read a red top, arrived to work in a white van with a breakfast roll and a fag everything would be ok....
You know, an average white van man would be more in touch with people than golden boy
09-09-2011, 10:23   #2063
easychair
Banned

The most extraordinary thing is why anyone buys the Herald. Some newspapers are nasty. Some posters here are nasty. I choose not to buy the nasty newspapers and choose to ignore the posters here who are obviously nasty and appear to enjoy making personal remarks about Turbidy and appear toenjoy his current uncomfortable position.

What is it about some of us that we appear to enjoy others misfortunes, and appear to take pleasure about others misfortunes?
09-09-2011, 10:25   #2064
Ash.J.Williams

'LATE Late Show' host Ryan Tubridy says he won't fight looming salary cuts at RTE, and is happy with his shows despite falling ratings.
Last night, Tubridy broke his silence after a week of intense scrutiny sparked by drops in his TV and radio figures.
Asking his critics to "cut him some slack" for his radio show, Tubridy spoke out to "set the record straight".
And he joked that he, too, would have watched the Ireland versus Slovakia football game had he not been presenting his own chatshow at the time.
He also revealed that Senator David Norris would appear on the programme next week, and might use the appearance to re-enter the presidential race.
Tubridy dismissed any suggestion that a drop in his ratings could affect his contract negotiations with the station next year.
"That won't be used -- because I am assured it won't be," he told the Irish Independent.
RTE director general Noel Curran is planning to reduce presenters' pay at the station by more than 30pc, relative to 2008 levels, and Tubridy is agreeable to the salary cuts.
"There was a culture here (RTE), a culture of high pay, and that's going to change, and I think that's right.
"I am a realist and I see what is happening in the country. I see what happened in Talk Talk this week."
The 37-year-old star of RTE's flagship chat show made the comments after a drop of more than 180,000 on viewing figures for the first 'Late Late Show' of the season last Friday, which has been blamed on RTE Two coverage of the Ireland versus Slovakia game. This setback came shortly after radio listenership figures showed a drop of 110,000 listeners since he took over a slot on 2fm from the late Gerry Ryan.
"Cut me some slack, will you? I know the real story of what's going on," said Tubridy.
He pointed out that the radio figures were not comparing like-with-like because Gerry Ryan's show was longer, giving more listeners the time to tune in.
"This was a three-hour radio show presented by the biggest personality in the land for 25 years. I took over with a two-hour show," said Tubridy.
"We're fixing it and I'm happy with the way it's sounding."
The presenter strongly denied that he had been warned by RTE management that his job was under threat.
"There is a bizarre whirlwind of rumour and hearsay going on about which I want to set the record straight," he said.
"I have not been told my job is under threat. There have been no panic meetings.
"I haven't been told anything by anyone in management in RTE, other than you are doing a great job. I have a positive wind in my sails."
Tubridy added: "The figures we got on Friday night weren't a fair playing pitch because the match was on.
"We knew that we were up against a very important qualifying match. . . in fact if I had been off, I would have been watching the Ireland match, too, but I was working."
After recently finishing up his summer stint covering for Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2, the RTE star said he "very happy with how things went", and said a second summer run in 2012 could be possible.
For now he will focus on his radio show and the 'Late Late' with Mr Norris to appear on the programme next week.
"I plan to get into everything with David. Everything which is relevant to the discussion will be up for grabs," he said.
Hosting
However, he added that he does not plan to be hosting the 'Late Late Show' for 10 years like predecessor Pat Kenny.
"I don't know if I have the patience for 10 years. I love doing it but I'm also the kind of person who loves doing new things," he said. He went on to dismiss reports that he had snubbed by RTE in favour of veteran Gay Byrne to host a 50th anniversary celebration on New Year's Eve.
"I have a lot going on so anything you hear about 'snubs' and not being asked is a myth.
"Let Gay enjoy the moment. He is the grandaddy of everything and it would be a mistake to let a rookie like me in to do the job."
Guests on tonight's 'Late Late Show' at 9.30pm on RTE1 include Mahdi al-Harati, the Irish Libyan rebel leader who led the main rebel brigade into Tripoli, former footballer Ronnie Whelan, and veteran British TV personality Jimmy Saville of 'Jim'll Fix It' fame.
- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor
Advertisement
09-09-2011, 10:27   #2065
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by easychair View Post
The most extraordinary thing is why anyone buys the Herald. Some newspapers are nasty. Some posters here are nasty. I choose not to buy the nasty newspapers and choose to ignore the posters here who are obviously nasty and appear to enjoy making personal remarks about Turbidy and appear toenjoy his current uncomfortable position.

What is it about some of us that we appear to enjoy others misfortunes, and appear to take pleasure about others misfortunes?
i don't think a 500k (at least ) salary for doing silly voices is a misfortune?
Thanks from:
09-09-2011, 10:30   #2066
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:

My favourite harold article lately was about mythical character "fat freddie thompson"...the headline was "Cup of hate"...and there he was minding his own business having a cup of tea at his mothers front door....
The 2nd pic was a confused looking "FFT" looking at the camera wondering "wtf is photographer doingoutside me ma's house while i'm having me tea"
Thanks from:
09-09-2011, 10:31   #2067
easychair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash.J.Williams View Post
I agree, nor do I. But why the non sequitur?
09-09-2011, 10:35   #2068
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
I agree, nor do I. But why the non sequitur?
I'm incredibly inarticulate
09-09-2011, 10:36   #2069
Leslie91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash.J.Williams View Post
It would appear that's the real reason he is being attacked from all angles. He is vastly overpaid like most everyone in RTE. Until that place gets a Tsunami like shot of reality and the Union is stood up to this is going to continue.
09-09-2011, 10:36   #2070
Skid
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
Unfair on who? The Irish Times?
It seems like it is open season on Tubridy now in the press.

He deserves to be criticised for his radio output, but this article is lazy and built on lazy prejudices.
The writer accuses him of being 'A Toff'. That is an English expression referring to the Estate owning Upper Classes there, It has no meaning here other being a nasty slur on Tubridy's character.

Tubridy reads all the papers, as anyone in his position should - It is invert snobbery to accuse someone of being out of touch just because they read 'The Irish Times'.

Gerry Ryan also had an enormous salary and drove flashy cars, and was proud of it. He boasted about it in his sickening autobiography. None of the leading presenters struggle to pay bills - it is a job that requires empathy, not sympathy.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion