Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-08-2010, 23:48   #1
time lord

Ireland's largest land bridge?

I was on the new relief road in Mullingar which i read in a local paper has Irelands longest bridge. Would they mean land bridge or would it matter, a span is a span kind of thinking regardless of what it traverses or how high the land underneath comes up. Just curiosity.

Ps I think they are calling it after Joe Dolan.
Advertisement
18-08-2010, 23:59   #2
Judgement Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by time lord View Post
I was on the new relief road in Mullingar which i read in a local paper has Irelands longest bridge. Would they mean land bridge or would it matter, a span is a span kind of thinking regardless of what it traverses or how high the land underneath comes up. Just curiosity.

Ps I think they are calling it after Joe Dolan.
I thought that honour went to the new Foyle Bridge in Derry/Londonderry?

19-08-2010, 00:19   #3
Sponge Bob
Banned

Its not new, been there 20 years
19-08-2010, 01:11   #4
time lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
I thought that honour went to the new Foyle Bridge in Derry/Londonderry?

I'll dig out quote tomorrow if the paper it was in is still about. 20 spans 540m long I think..
19-08-2010, 01:16   #5
time lord

Nation’s longest bridge to be named after Joe

Mullingar Advertiser, July 30, 2010.
The Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge at Clonmore.

By Finian Coghlan
The longest bridge in Ireland, the 540m completion section of the €40m Mullingar orbital road, is to be called the Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge, it was revealed at this week’s council meeting.
“This was discussed with the family and they’re very happy their brother Joe could be remembered like this,” cathaoirleach Mick Dollard told the meeting.
The final part of the C-Link road - which was begun nearly 13 years ago - extends from Clonmore Business Park to the Lynn Road roundabout and will be officially opened by Minister of Transport, Noel Dempsey TD, on September 6 at 12.30pm.
This 780m stretch of road consists of a two-lane carriageway and with the raised section of 540m over marshy ground, including over the Brosna and Lacy’s canal, the council believes this to be the longest bridge in Ireland.
By comparison, the recently built cable stay bridge over the Boyne on the M1 motorway is just 370m long, but has the single biggest span in the country at 170m. Work on the site began in March 2009 and of the €40m cost of the closing link, the bridge itself cost €12m.
The bridge crosses the flood plain of the river Brosna as well as Lacy’s canal. There will be 3.1m (10ft) of clearance over the canal to allow for boat passage. The ground conditions, which consist of 10m of peat over 20m of very soft silt, mean that constructing the bridge was a “considerable engineering challenge”, according to county manager, Danny McLoughlin.
Naas firm, Messrs Jons Civil Engineering Co Ltd, were responsible for the final design and construction, and this last stretch included piling, abutment work, approach embankments, and all the required tie-ins with the old N52 at the southern end and the C-Link at the northern end.

Found the article..
Advertisement
19-08-2010, 01:19   #6
Amtmann
Closed Account

That's the first I've heard of this Mullingar orbital road. What's the route number?
19-08-2010, 01:21   #7
Sponge Bob
Banned

Not in this forum you don't
19-08-2010, 07:14   #8
richardjjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
That's the first I've heard of this Mullingar orbital road. What's the route number?

It seems to be made up of a number of R Routes - see the Westmeath County Council map here and a map which suggests it includes the R400 and part of the R394.
Thanks from:
19-08-2010, 09:02   #9
wellbutty
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by time lord View Post

Nation’s longest bridge to be named after Joe

Mullingar Advertiser, July 30, 2010.
The Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge at Clonmore.

By Finian Coghlan
The longest bridge in Ireland, the 540m completion section of the €40m Mullingar orbital road, is to be called the Joe Dolan Memorial Bridge, it was revealed at this week’s council meeting.
“This was discussed with the family and they’re very happy their brother Joe could be remembered like this,” cathaoirleach Mick Dollard told the meeting.
The final part of the C-Link road - which was begun nearly 13 years ago - extends from Clonmore Business Park to the Lynn Road roundabout and will be officially opened by Minister of Transport, Noel Dempsey TD, on September 6 at 12.30pm.
This 780m stretch of road consists of a two-lane carriageway and with the raised section of 540m over marshy ground, including over the Brosna and Lacy’s canal, the council believes this to be the longest bridge in Ireland.
By comparison, the recently built cable stay bridge over the Boyne on the M1 motorway is just 370m long, but has the single biggest span in the country at 170m. Work on the site began in March 2009 and of the €40m cost of the closing link, the bridge itself cost €12m.
The bridge crosses the flood plain of the river Brosna as well as Lacy’s canal. There will be 3.1m (10ft) of clearance over the canal to allow for boat passage. The ground conditions, which consist of 10m of peat over 20m of very soft silt, mean that constructing the bridge was a “considerable engineering challenge”, according to county manager, Danny McLoughlin.
Naas firm, Messrs Jons Civil Engineering Co Ltd, were responsible for the final design and construction, and this last stretch included piling, abutment work, approach embankments, and all the required tie-ins with the old N52 at the southern end and the C-Link at the northern end.

Found the article..
Don't think so! The Waterford bypass bridge is longer than the Boyne one, it's 230m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suir_Bridge
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-08-2010, 10:07   #10
Stonewolf

Longest, probably. In any way imaginative or worth celebrating? Definitely not.

It's not as bad as the Westlink mind.
19-08-2010, 10:10   #11
Judgement Day

How about nominations for Ireland's most beautiful bridge or is that for another thread?
19-08-2010, 10:14   #12
BluntGuy
Closed Account

Could slap up another thread, there's a lot more candidates for "most beautiful" than longest I reckon.
19-08-2010, 13:27   #13
Jambo

Alhthough its a Rail Bridge isnt the longest bridge in the Republic the Barrow rail bridge which is about 650/680m long ? (Individual Spans are about 45m)
19-08-2010, 21:54   #14
Chris_5339762

Will the New Ross bridge be the longest if it gets built?
19-08-2010, 22:55   #15
Road-Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
Will the New Ross bridge be the longest if it gets built?
Yes end to end nearly 1k in length, also longest span will just top the River Suir Bridge at the moment which is 230m..........bridge engineers alway talk in longest spans as opposed to end to end (abutment to abutment) lengths when rating bridges' lengths.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion