Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ipconfig won't work (windows 7)

• 09-08-2010 6:36pm

Hi all,

I'm running windows 7 on my acer aspire netbook. As part of my job, I need to use it to identify ip addresses. However, ipconfig won't work. I went into properties and it says I'm running IPv$ and IPv6. Is the problem that I'm running both? Therefore confusing the machine?

(I really don't know!)

In the cmd window, after I type ipconfig, it comes back as a massive list,
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*104:

Media state...........................: Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS suffix..:

I have no idea what this means. Should I turn off IPv6?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

From the looks of that you're just not using the Local Area Connection. How are you accessing the internet? Are you using Wireless (I'd have to assume you are based on that).

Try looking further down the list for the wireless properties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make sure the cable is plugged in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

make sure the cable is plugged in

Actually, if you (OP) are testing Local Area Connection, this is definitely step one. Also, make sure that it's working (i.e. if the cable is damaged the lights may not engage [one orange, one green in most machines]), perhaps trying a different cable if needs be.

If the cable is plugged in, it should auto disenage your wireless usage, but try turning that off too just to make sure that the LAN is definitely the one in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Are You sure its plugged in, not being smart, but it looks like its not, could be dodgy cable/router

Thanks all. Using wireless. Didn't know that it would matter?! So plug in, disable wireless, happy days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

In the cmd window, after I type ipconfig, it comes back as a massive list,
    I assume you just quoted the end part of what you saw. It may be something like this window. You may see interfaces disconencted at the bottom but look for an ip address somewhere. In this example it's at the top with the 192.168.1.101 part.
    ipconfig.png

Nothing wrong with ipv4 and ipv6 and no it doesn't confuse the computer. If you have both wireless and wired enabled and are conencted via wifi and plugged in, then yes your computer may decide to use one connection over the other so just disable whichever one you're not using. Nothing wrong with using wireless.
    Go to start and type this in and press enter.
    ncpa.cpl

This gets you the old network view that microsoft in their idiotic mindset, took the ease of getting into out of vista and windows 7. Same as going the long way through network sharing center.

note your address may look like any of the following and when i say * i mean from 1 to 254/255

192.168.*.*
    10.*.*.*
    172.16.*.* => 172.32.*.*

Advertisement