Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sunday
    Long Bike

Was due to head out 8am but did not get out until 9.30am as i was waiting on a mate (note to self DIY sessions from now on). Very blustery out there today especially along the coast route we took and it shows in the pace. Took it easy for the first 30km or so as my mate was struggling, so much in fact when we hit Rush around the 50km mark he rang his missus to collect him leaving me to do the 50km back on my own:mad:
    Picked up the pace a small bit then got a bloody puncture and then the garmin start acting up. I was really tired and the i was feeling yesterdays race in my legs around the 70/80km mark. I think i actually bonked with 10km to go as i had given most of my gels and sports beans to my mate so felt sooooo weak and had no energy. It took me about half an hour to recover when i got back to the house, horrible feeling.
    Pretty ****ty session and i don't think i will head out with the mate again until he get's some fitness back as it just screws up my training and pace.
    Taking a rest day tomorrow to let the body recover.
    Distance: 100.05km
    Time: 3:48:16
    Avg Speed: 26.3kmph
    Avg HR: 138 - 71% of max HR
    Summary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I feel your pain the wind was pretty shocking today. Did malahide - donabate - lusk - loughshinny - rush - home myself. It was tough so fair play for doing a ton.

I might of passed you as i seen two guys out around rush then passed them going the other way and there was only one of them (possibly you).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

One 100k won't forget in a while. But the next one will be easy in comparison

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I feel your pain the wind was pretty shocking today. Did malahide - donabate - lusk - loughshinny - rush - home myself. It was tough so fair play for doing a ton.

I might of passed you as i seen two guys out around rush then passed them going the other way and there was only one of them (possibly you).

More than likely it was me, there seemed to be a good few out braving the conditions.

Abhainn wrote: »
    One 100k won't forget in a while. But the next one will be easy in comparison

Yeah hopefully so just going to put it down as a bad day.

• Advertisement

Week 9 Summary
    10 - 16 January|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|16:01|242.6km
    Swimming|3|2.37|8.2km
    Cycling|3|5:33|160.8km
    Running|7|6:11|73.6km
    Conditioning|1|1:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|1|0:40|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-16 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|101|95:36|1511.9km
    Swimming|20|16:42:30|45.5km
    Cycling|26|33:09|1057.4km
    Running|41|34:54:30|409km
    Conditioning|9|8:00|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|5|2:50|Swim coaching

Another decent week put in and no missed sessions. Broke my first IM milestone clocking over 1000kms on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jaysus a 100km bike today after yesterday's race! Lunatic.. Although, I'd have done likewise if I had the chance ;) A very well done on that pb, super running and completely deserved wit hthe work you are putting in. I'm sad I met no bardsies but then I legged it afterwards... next time!

Jaysus a 100km bike today after yesterday's race! Lunatic.. Although, I'd have done likewise if I had the chance ;) A very well done on that pb, super running and completely deserved wit hthe work you are putting in. I'm sad I met no bardsies but then I legged it afterwards... next time!

Yeah probably stupid doing the 100k after Saturdays race and i paid for it towards the end.

Monday
    Rest Day

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Spin
    Brought the bike out at lunchtime today as the laptop with my Tacx Turbo Software is getting fixed so going to sneak a few sessions in during work. Last 9k was a killer with the wind right in my face, suprisingly there was still patches of ice on the roads so had to be careful.
    Distance: 23.04km/14.3mile
    Time: 48:33
    Avg Speed: 28.5kpmh
    Avg HR: 145

PM Swim Coaching
    My last session and the teacher was complimentary with the progress i have made over the last few weeks. Actually done a few tumbleturns off the wall and managed not to break an ankle:). Probably going to replace this session with Yoga to improve my flexibility
    Distance: 1.45km
    Time: 40 mins

Late Night Recovery Run
    I planned to head out for an hour which turned into an hour and half as i was not keeping an eye on the watch. Really enjoyed this run and took in a few trails under the full moon which was fun. No niggles from the weekend race so delighted with that.
    Distance: 17.35km/10.78 mile
    Time: 1:34:02
    Pace: 5.25km/8.43 mile
    Avg HR: 144

Wednesday
    Lunchtime Brick Session
    Ended up doing this in the gym as the roads were still icy. Normally i would be doing a 45 bike 15 run but had to cut it short.
    Bike
    Time: 30 mins
    Distance: 17.4km
    Cadence: 119 (gym bikes are very accurate:rolleyes:)
    Run
    Time: 15 mins
    Distance: 3.3km

PM Swim Session
    I was having conversations with myself right through this session to keep things moving on. The last 3 sets of 300 was tough going and felt like i was swimming through tar, arms are sore.
    200 wu
    2x50 - drill kicks, 2x50 pull buoy, 2x50 one arm drills
    10X100 - hit most of these around the 2 min mark
    5x300
    200 cd
    Time: 74 mins
    Distance: 3.2km

In other news i signed up to the Barcelona Marathon in March so having looked at my targets i now think London is too soft at sub 3:30 so will be going for a sub 3:25 in Barca and looking for a sub 3:20-2 now for London. I may revise these down further if the running training continues to go well.

• Advertisement

Thursday

Gym AM - 60 mins
    Hit the gym floor at 7am and done my usual sets but spent an extra 10 mins on some core work. My last assessment was near 2 months ago so had another one this morning and the results are very pleasing.
    End Nov: 157lbs/71kg and 9.7% BF
    Now: 151lbs/68.5kg with an 8.3% BF
    2.5kg decrease and 1.4% BF reduction, well on the way to hitting my 7% BF target.

Lunchtime Strides
    I had planned to do slightly longer but had to get back to work for a meeting. Same as last week put in 200mtr strides for every km i ran. Slight pain below my right knee so will need to keep an eye on that, it is sore to touch almost like bruising underneath:confused:
    Distance: 7km
    Time: 33:17
    Pace: 4.45km/7.38mile
    Avg HR: 159

Long Bike PM
    Got the laptop back so hooked the bike back up to the turbo. I was due to do an hour but changed the session to my long bike session as i would struggle to get it in this Sunday.
    Loaded up the UKIM course and paced it at race pace or therabouts. First time up Sheeps Lane climb was fine, second time around a lot tougher so i can just imagine what it will be like 3rd time around on race day.
    Trying fig rolls and Elevenes bars along with gels and energy bars and it seemed to work well as i did not fade and in fact felt strong throughout.
    I may decide to continue with a Thursday Long Bike instead of the Sunday. With the +4 hour rides coming up it takes away to much family time.
    Distance: 115km
    Time: 3:35
    Avg Speed: 32kpmh
    Power: 198 watt
    Cadence: 95
    Climbing: 1050 mtrs
    Avg HR: 137 (71% MAX HR)

I will sleep like a baby tonight, should be fun when the alarm goes off for my early morning swim:o
    Wk10LongBike-1.jpg

Jaysus JB you are starting to make my log look like a dosser's log :cool:

Fair play getting a long bike in midweek. I was thinking along similar lines recently. Last week I just didn't have the time on Sunday to get out. I haven't been out on the road in ages and typical this weekend is both a recovery week and probably frosty/icy :rolleyes: I have no chance of a long bike the next 2 weekends due to family stuff so it will be long turbos. I'm thinking of maybe getting them done midweek and being like a zombie in work rather than a zombie with my son. As I stated at the start of my log this wuold be my biggest challenge and alas its is!

Good training though dude, you are really putting the work in and it will stand to you. Keep trucking!

Jaysus JB you are starting to make my log look like a dosser's log :cool:

Fair play getting a long bike in midweek. I was thinking along similar lines recently. Last week I just didn't have the time on Sunday to get out. I haven't been out on the road in ages and typical this weekend is both a recovery week and probably frosty/icy :rolleyes: I have no chance of a long bike the next 2 weekends due to family stuff so it will be long turbos. I'm thinking of maybe getting them done midweek and being like a zombie in work rather than a zombie with my son. As I stated at the start of my log this wuold be my biggest challenge and alas its is!

Good training though dude, you are really putting the work in and it will stand to you. Keep trucking!

Thanks Shotgun. Taking the family side into it once you start hitting the longer rides it does take a chunk out of the weekend time particular when you throw your long run in on top of that. Whilst there is always the option of the 5/6am weekend starts that aint much fun either.
    I have to say i felt fine this morning at my swim session with just the 5 hours sleep so will probably continue with the Long Bike on a Thursday to see how it goes. One thing to also consider is the quality of my long bike should improve without having a 30k LSR in my legs from the previous day!! Quite pleasing to know i just have a 1hr bike session on Sunday now:D
    How is the sickness behaving itself...confirmed man flu or something more serious?

Friday
    Swim AM
    Felt suprisingly well after last nights long bike and only 5 hours sleep. The plan was to do as many 400's as i could with a target of 10x400. Managed to knock out 7 and was done after that both physically and timewise as i had to get going for work.
    Happy with the session and i will have the 10x400 nailed soon enough.
    Distance: 3.3km (300&200wu/cd)
    Time: About 75 minutes

Lunchtime Run - Short & Steady
    Quick run at lunchtime on the icy paths, still pretty lethal in parts. The HRM spiking again at the start!!
    Distance: 4.88km
    Time: 24:33
    Pace: 5.02km/8.05mile
    Avg HR: 155 (going by feel it felt lower than this)

Looking forward to having a Friday evening free. I have a 30/31k LSR planned with a few ARTists tomorrow in the park so should be good.

Ha talk about making hay while I'm on a recovery week! Whe is your recovery week so I can pencil in a 32km run :D

No not man flu. just a lung inflammation and annoying cough. On a strong dose steroid inhaler for a while

Ha talk about making hay while I'm on a recovery week! Whe is your recovery week so I can pencil in a 32km run :D

No not man flu. just a lung inflammation and annoying cough. On a strong dose steroid inhaler for a while

Whenever this baby decides to make an appearance:p, more than likely next week so you can put me to shame then!!

Have a speedy recovery.

Saturday
    First off Mrs Jackyback finally had the baby late last night/this morning and all is good. A lovely little girl to add to the jackyback clan.
    Recovery week next week:)

I was due to do a group run in park but opted out as i was still in the hospital this morning. I had a 3hr window before i was due to go back up to the hospital as the kids were getting looked after. I had the option of a sleep or long run....you guessed it long run won easy.

It was an enjoyable run in mucky trails and i ended up knee deep in a swampy area along the Boyne Valley River, best not to ask. Pace was decent enough for an LSR and felt very strong even with the lack of sleep. Just took one gel and a bag of sports beans and that kept me going. Enjoyed this run, enjoying the baby and just happy overall:D
    Distance: 29km/18 mile
    Time: 2:34:34
    Pace: 5.19km/8.34mile
    Avg HR: 146 (76% max hr)

Back up to see the bambino and may even break the booze ban and wet the babys head tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Congrats Jacky.........How the hell did she let you off doing 2 marathons and an Ironman with a new born coming half way through the training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Congrats Jacky thats great news. Well done on getting in a quick 18 miler :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Congrats on the new arrival. dont know how you survive on so little sleep.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the new arrival JB, fun times now for the next few weeks :D Mrs JB must be very tolerant of all the training but fair play to you balancing things out the way you do. I'm taking up your suggestion of gettting the long turbo done midweek. Can't say I'm looking forward to it though.

Thanks for all the well wishes folks, the two little ladies are home safe and sound.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Congrats Jacky.........How the hell did she let you off doing 2 marathons and an Ironman with a new born coming half way through the training :D

Do not forget the half ironman also:D She has been very supportive since i have taken up running/tri. It also helps that i do my fair share when not training and i try work my training around the family as that's what comes first!!
    Congrats Jacky thats great news. Well done on getting in a quick 18 miler :o

Thanks El D, never miss an opportunity for a quick 18 miler.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new arrival. dont know how you survive on so little sleep.

I am a vampire:o I have always got by on about 5 hours sleep although i have noticed i need an extra hour or two since i started the heavy training.
    Congrats on the new arrival JB, fun times now for the next few weeks :D Mrs JB must be very tolerant of all the training but fair play to you balancing things out the way you do. I'm taking up your suggestion of gettting the long turbo done midweek. Can't say I'm looking forward to it though.

Thanks man. You know yourself managing your time is soooooo important to fit everything in. I deffo think i am going to struggle to get all my sessions in from now on but if i can keep getting out for the early and lunchtime sessions along with a few nightime sessions it should not impact me too much.
    Good luck with the mid week turbo, i have to say it made a huge difference in just doing a 1hr spin this morning instead of a 4 hour one.

Sunday
    1 hr bike
    Up for a 7am start on the turbo before the kids woke up. Was feeling a bit stodgy from the few beers the night previous but i was sorted a few minutes into it. Just finished in time as the kids came down for brekkie.
    Distance: 33.65km
    Time: 60 mins
    Power: 224
    Cadence: 98
    AVG HR: 133

Week 10 Summary
    17 - 23 January|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|15:19|258.7km
    Swimming|2|2.29|8km
    Cycling|4|5:53|189.1km
    Running|5|5:17|61.6km
    Conditioning|1|1:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|1|0:40|Swim coaching

Totals so far
    15 Nov-16 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|114|110:54|1770.6km
    Swimming|22|19:11|53.5km
    Cycling|30|39:02|1246.5km
    Running|46|40:11|470.6km
    Conditioning|10|9:00|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

Another solid week put in. Even though i am off work for most of next week there will be a drop off in swim & bike volume but i will be maintaining the run volume with Barca marathon on in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Congrats on the new arrival. Will you have to schedule training in between naps and feeds now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Many congrats on the new arrival - you've some serious all round ability to be spinning all those plates and getting through that training volume.

I think you'll be my new reference point during any tricky IM conversations with Mrs I.:)

Aimman wrote: »
    Congrats on the new arrival. Will you have to schedule training in between naps and feeds now. ;)

Might bring the kids out with me on training runs:rolleyes:
    Izoard wrote: »
    Many congrats on the new arrival - you've some serious all round ability to be spinning all those plates and getting through that training volume.
    I think you'll be my new reference point during any tricky IM conversations with Mrs I.:)
    Lol don't go playing that card now:P

Monday
    Recovery Run
    Couple of niggles during this recovery run and the legs felt sluggish even more so after stopping for 5 mins for a chat with a friend i passed on the roads.
    Got the foam roller out and gave the legs a good going over after this.
    Distance: 10.25km/6.37 mile
    Time: 56:51
    Pace: 5.32km/8.55 mile
    No HRM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

hey Jacky-how do you paste in your graphs??

hey Jacky-how do you paste in your graphs??

Left a "how to" on your log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Congratulatations, Jacky, fantastic news on the new arrival. I wish you all the best. I don't know what I admire most, your time management, your commitment to your training, or that you can get away with five hours sleep!

• Advertisement

Tuesday AM
    Interval Session - Planned 6x800 & wu/cd
    Dropped the kids off to school and headed out for a quick interval session while the little ones and the missus were still asleep. Either my HRM is on the blink or my max hr is wrong, my tested max hr was 192 a few years ago yet i hit a 196 on one of the intervals:eek: Legs still feel sluggish so may book myself in for a massage before i head back to work.
    Hit the intervals in 3:12, 3:06, 3:17, 3:15, 3:15, 3:19 so 4.8km covered in 19:24. Probably done 1k warm up and 2k cool down.
    Distance: 4.8km + 3km wu/cd
    Time: 19:24 exc wu/cd
    Pace: 4.02km/6.30mile
    HR: 149/max 196

Advertisement