Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-07-2010, 17:39   #31
floggg

I'm still in the same contract, so locked in until next April. But thats fine by me, because I only have me desire a little while and no plans on moving networks. Also, it was left a bit ambiguous, but am fairly certain that I can get an upgrade in a while if i wish.

I didn't have to do a thing. She just applied everything there and then (or so I'm told). I'm on the bill pay lite price, with bill pay lite add ons (i.e. free meteors), but just still have the same contract term. More than happy with that!

Now if you want to be free of the 18 month term, then I reckon you will need to cancel and move to PAYG, then switch to Bill pay lite in store.

Of course, if you only want to get out of the term so you can upgrade in a little while, you can do what i did. What she did was add a note to the system saying I can have one if i want. Something similar was done before, so I know it should work if go in store to buy down the line.

I didn't really push that point to hard, because its not a big deal to me at the moment, seeing as I only have my phone 3 months. Won't want another for a wee while yet!
Advertisement
29-07-2010, 18:10   #32
M450

That sounds cool. I might go the slightly longer, more tedious route of switching to PAYG and then to the lite plan as 18 months is a long long time. Even though I don't plan on changing my handset in that time it'll be peace of mind that I'm not bound to a contract.

Never know when I might want to escape the country haha!

Come to think of it I might even get away with being on the €10 lite plan with a €5 250MB data add-on. Free Meteor texts and 50min/txts. After that it's only 10c/min to Meteor numbers. Plus 300 webtexts of course!
29-07-2010, 18:27   #33
RasTa

Sweet I've being on my desire less then a month.
29-07-2010, 19:09   #34
tylerdurden94

Send a message via MSN to tylerdurden94
More questions, I have to send in an email to say I want to cancel, has anybody else had to do this?

If so how long does it take? Do you get switched back to payg? Can i just go into a meteor store any sign up to the bill pay lite option?

I'm just a little freaked that i will get stung with some mad charges, is there no repercussions if you mentioned that your coming off it because of this data price change.

Once again thank you for any info.
29-07-2010, 20:18   #35
Lawstud

[QUOTE]More questions, I have to send in an email to say I want to cancel, has anybody else had to do this?

If so how long does it take? Do you get switched back to payg? Can i just go into a meteor store any sign up to the bill pay lite option?

I'm just a little freaked that i will get stung with some mad charges, is there no repercussions if you mentioned that your coming off it because of this data price change.

Once again thank you for any info[/QUOTE

I cancelled my 18mth contract around lunch time today. The lady I spoke to advised me to send an email confirming that I wanted to cancel my contract due to the change the contarcts terms by meteor.

I was further advised that I would be switched to payg. I was told that at some point the service on my phone would drop at which point I should switch the phone off for 20 mins and when I turned it on I would be on payg.

I have yet to experince the dropped service to facilate the change. Once I am on payg I plan to visit a Meteor shop tomorrow and sign up to a monthly contract.

The whole issue was resolved very quickly and politely. Just waiting on the service to drop off. But given the amount of people that are cancelling their contracts I presume this is taking some time.

I wouldn't be worried about any charges. The EU regulation which has precipitated the contractual amendments prohibits any such charges or penalties.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-07-2010, 20:29   #36
partyatmygaff

All in all Meteor are dealing with this pretty well. It's not consistent but nevertheless they're doing a pretty good job.
29-07-2010, 20:35   #37
artielange

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
More questions, I have to send in an email to say I want to cancel, has anybody else had to do this?

Once again thank you for any info.
Same here had to email my mobile number name and address to cancellations@meteor.ie ,did that at 11am today and then rang them at
1800-222-085. They just checked that they got it and said I be switched in the next 5 minutes.

Thanks to partyatmygaff I am rooted and out of my contract.
(2) thanks from:
29-07-2010, 21:15   #38
Pacifico

I was told by two people that if i'd cancel the contract i'd have to return the phone!??
29-07-2010, 21:18   #39
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by artielange View Post

Thanks to partyatmygaff I am rooted and out of my contract.
Let's call it the full Desire package
Advertisement
29-07-2010, 22:18   #40
Keith186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
I was told by two people that if i'd cancel the contract i'd have to return the phone!??
That's what meteor were saying on Tuesday but they weren't saying it on Wednesday. I think they copped that "without penalty" means what it says!
29-07-2010, 22:30   #41
Tech3
Closed Account

Yeah this was the statement:

Quote:
In accordance with the Ts & Cs, termination must be notified in writing prior to the date of implementation of the change, so you would need to cancel your contract in writing before the 22nd of August. Also in accordance with the T&C’s, if you are within the minimum period of your contract, Meteor is entitled to require the return of your handset. The change does not directly affect customers on Bill Pay Max, Bill Pay Surf or our Smart Plans, as they already have an inclusive allowance of Data within their plans.
29-07-2010, 22:38   #42
floggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith186 View Post
That's what meteor were saying on Tuesday but they weren't saying it on Wednesday. I think they copped that "without penalty" means what it says!
Don't think its necessarily clear cut. If title doesn't pass until the end of the term, then the phone is not yours but meteors. When you exercise the option to terminate, the phone is still actually meteors, so in theory they can ask for it back.

No unfortunately for meteor however, the terms and conditions posted on line dont seem to be drafted the best, in that there is no reference to amendments to T&C's that I can see, or any provision regarding ownership of the phone upon early termination.

Perhaps the reason they've changed tone is because they have left it all a bit ambiguous. if they had a better drafted contract, I don't think there would be anything to stop them seeking the return of the phone.

Asking for the return of their own property wouldn't be a penalty (although you would expect that they would refund the money you paid for it).
29-07-2010, 22:49   #43
Pacifico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith186 View Post
I was told this today unfortunately....wonder why i'm being told this when so many others are not?
29-07-2010, 22:56   #44
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
I was told this today unfortunately....wonder why i'm being told this when so many others are not?
I think it depends on your history with Meteor. How long are you with them and what do you want to change to?
29-07-2010, 23:01   #45
Tech3
Closed Account

I only entered a contract with Meteor last Wednesday. Is it worth ringing up and seeing if I could upgrade to free meteor calls and txts. If I succeed, will I have to go into a meteor store to sign up for a new 18 month contract?

Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion