RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service - Page 147 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 15:14   #2191
excollier

The Ka lnb will be nearest the dish focus, with the dish centred at roughly 13e.
I tried it last night on a TD88, and got a good balance between that and 28.2e (on my meter). Posted my result, for what it's worth, on satellites.co.uk plus ISAA's link to their You Tube video of the TD78 dual feed.
See here

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/s...ml#post1025555

It was only tinkering in the back yard
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 23:07   #2192
Fin McCool

Have set up a Triax TD88 exactly like this & it's working well

http://www.sat-planet.ie/index.php?r...formation_id=3
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 13:55   #2193
zg3409

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-24-W...=WALKER&image=

Model : WP75SAT-HD
Specifications
Walker Free To Air Satellite Box
Hd Digital Satellite Receiver
No Subscription Or Monthly Bills
Perfect For Ex-sky Subscribers
Bbc1 -bbc2- Bbc3- Bbc4
Itv1 -itv2 -itv3 -itv4
5- Bbc Hd- Itv Hd- Ch4 Hd
Hdmi Digital Tv Connection
7 Day On Screen Program Guide
Usb Recorder And Player
Hi-fi Stereo Sound
On Screen Display
Signal Level & Quality Indicator
Infra Red Remote Control
Ready For Rte Satellite (SaorSAT)
Rte Now Broadcasting Kasat 9e
Installation Service Available
Requires Ka Lnb

and there is one advertised on eBay:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Walker-HD-DVB...item2c635c3410

WP75SAT-HD

This receiver can be used to receive both Saorsat (Ka Sat 9E) & SatFree (Astra 28.2) simultaneously.
Saorsat requires a Ka band LNB and Astra uses a standard Universal LNB.
Both can be mounted on the same dish eg. Triax TD78 with LNB multiholder.
ie. >100 channels including RTE, BBC, ITV, CHANNEL 4, News, Film, Kids, Music etc & HD channels.
It also features 7-Day programme guide for both Saorsat and SatFree channels.

Features:
HD Satellite Receiver DVB-S2
5000 Program Memory
USB 2.0 Multimedia Connector & Recording
Video :AVI, MP4, XviD/3ivx, MJPEG, MS ISO, MPEG2-TS, H264-TS, MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG2, MPEG1 - Audio/Photo : MP3, JPEG Baseline, Progressive
HDMI 1080i
7 Day On Screen Program Guide for Saorsat & Sat4Free
Signal Level & Quality Indicator
Remote Control, Batteries & HD Lead Included
UniCable, DiSEqC 1.0, 1.2 enabled for multiple LNB systems
Scart Socket - S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio
F-Socket LNB Input
HDMI 1.3a up to 1080i
Ethernet RJ45
USB 2.0 (Rear)
28-02-2012, 14:12   #2194
Tony

I'd be interested to know how they are achieving this , if its over the air via freesat stream I would think freesat Uk would object as they have in the past when sat4free was around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg3409 View Post
It also features 7-Day programme guide for both Saorsat and SatFree channels.
28-02-2012, 16:45   #2195
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I'd be interested to know how they are achieving this , if its over the air via freesat stream I would think freesat Uk would object as they have in the past when sat4free was around.
I now know how they might have implemented it.

The 7 day EPG is not combined. You must exit source from 28.2 groupings (entertainment etc) to 9E in order for that 7 day epg to work. Think Freesat TV software and switching sopurce to dvb-t.

And quite obviously they are using sat4free's software from Grundig (Tont you fear right) its a Freesatish API which must be exited to load the other channels not on Freesat. This may be fine if they implement it on these combo's I have been hearing all about but have yet to see. But remember the 7 epg will not be combined, as it will involve switching sources from the dvb-t to dvb-s tuner on the remote. .

Last edited by STB; 28-02-2012 at 16:48.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 16:48   #2196
givecredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
The 7 day EPG is not combined. You must exit source from DVB-T to DVB-S2 in order for that to work. Think Freesat TV software.

Now i am really confused. Is this Walker box not just a satellite receiver. How can it access the DVB-T epg from saorview?

I assume it will access that EIT epg from saorsat and freesat epg from freesat/"satfree"
28-02-2012, 16:57   #2197
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by givecredit View Post
Now i am really confused. Is this Walker box not just a satellite receiver. How can it access the DVB-T epg from saorview?

I assume it will access that EIT epg from saorsat and freesat epg from freesat/"satfree"
Either I am too slow with my edits or you are too quick with your replies. I was in middle of editing it. I was typing further ahead of myself as to what the combo's will perform like knowing what they have done. Does it make sense now ?

Last edited by STB; 28-02-2012 at 17:01.
28-02-2012, 17:02   #2198
Tony

I hope they got permission from Freesat to do this otherwise injunctions will start flying around as before.
28-02-2012, 17:22   #2199
givecredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
Either I am too slow with my edits or you are too quick with your replies. I was in middle of editing it. I was typing further ahead of myself as to what the combo's will perform like knowing what they have done. Does it make sense now ?
Yes make sence now. Look forward to seeing their combo box if and when it comes out.
A combo may sell well in the UK too. Giving them access to Freeview and freesat in one receiver and hopefully being able to sort channel order as you want it, (Putting HD channels at top of epg etc)

Freesat will not be happy....
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 18:25   #2200
Chuck Stone
Closed Account

Why wouldn't Freesat commission a 7 day FTA UK sat EPG box that could receive Saorview?

They'd sell a shed load of them would they not?
28-02-2012, 18:59   #2201
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post

No they would not , the market here is very small in comparison to the UK and Freesat would have no interest in such a box in any case as they are a Uk only service.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 19:05   #2202
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
Why wouldn't Freesat commission a 7 day FTA UK sat EPG box that could receive Saorview?

The British taxpayer might get annoyed ? They are aware of their sat pattern, they wont be going out of their way to promote its reception outside its boundaries .

Last edited by STB; 28-02-2012 at 19:07.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 20:20   #2203
davidod1

Could I ask the knowledgeable folks here if anyone can see a method of achieving the perfect solution for the following situation.

I have a camper where the TV and the motorised satellite dish both run on 12V. (I have attached a pdf that show the Specs and the Rear View of the Receiver) The receiver is a standard FTA receiver but pressing the Menu button brings up the full satellite set-up menus. This includes the motorised system. There is no Diseqc control system built in.

Being a standard FTA system there are no Irish Channels available on the list. The TV has 'Freeview' but obviously will not receive Saorview and would need a Saorview adaptor, however being in a tin box UHF off-air TV reception is practically non existent without an external aerial and the only external aerial that i have is the dish.

Back to the ideal solution. My ideal solution would be a Freesat Receiver that will control the motorised dish, have provision for the second KA Band LNB required for Saorsat. And of course all must work off 12V.

If the ideal solution is not achievable; then how much of it is possible? Of course my main objective is to be able to receive our Irish channels while in the camper.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite receiver.pdf (352.4 KB, 55 views)
28-02-2012, 21:38   #2204
Skanco

I would just like to sound a word of warning on the subject of purchasing equipment for Saorsat at this time. Our testing on the Isle of Man would suggest the service outside and inside a large part of Ireland, will be very variable with weather conditions, using the current signal levels. Wales will be assessed next week.
28-02-2012, 21:52   #2205
Gerry Wicklow

That manual mentions DVB-S only not DVB-S2 which is needed for SaorSat.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion