Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny) - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2010, 10:43   #1
mambo

Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny)

Anyone cycled the Great Western Greenway, from Mulranny <-> Newport?

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Great-...-Greenway.aspx

We're thinking of heading down to Mayo from Dublin for a weekend, and including a cycle along this route, the longest dedicated walking/cycling route in Ireland, 18km long...
Advertisement
03-07-2010, 14:33   #2
oscarBravo
Administrator

I've walked parts of it, and I know several people who have cycled it. It's definitely worth the trip.
03-07-2010, 19:16   #3
nuac

Yes - have walked parts of it. Very scenic. Well worth doing. Planis to extend it up to Westport.
03-07-2010, 20:58   #4
happyoutscan

Have cycled it a few times and it is amazing. Within a year or so the sections between Westport-Newport and Mulranny-Achill should be complete. If you're staying in Westport try Clew Bay Bike Hire, they'll run you out and collect you from the Greenway for the price of a full day bike hire per person.

http://www.clewbayoutdoors.ie
04-07-2010, 19:08   #5
mardybumbum

Send a message via MSN to mardybumbum
That looks like a very nice route. Must give that a lash myself.
Advertisement
04-07-2010, 21:46   #6
RoadKillTs

Parts out it go through our land. Its a really good track. So many people cycle down to Mulranny and the roads are just too dangerous these days.
05-07-2010, 11:08   #7
westtip

Its a great cycle ride - we need more facilities like this off road as the roads are just too dangerous and this does bring visitors to the area.

The should do the same with the Collooney- Claremorris old railway line and forget all the nonsense about it ever being re-opened, it won't happen and in teh meantime the alignment is in serious danger of being lost in parts.

checkour www.sligomayogreenway.com to see what people are saying about it.
07-07-2010, 00:08   #8
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtip View Post
Its a great cycle ride - we need more facilities like this off road as the roads are just too dangerous and this does bring visitors to the area.

The should do the same with the Collooney- Claremorris old railway line and forget all the nonsense about it ever being re-opened, it won't happen and in teh meantime the alignment is in serious danger of being lost in parts.

checkour www.sligomayogreenway.com to see what people are saying about it.
rumours they want to bring it to achill but there is a load of bridges need rebuilding and i am sure its land grabbed in parts.
07-07-2010, 01:26   #9
mardybumbum

Where exactly does the Newport - Mulranny route begin in Newport? Is it near the town itself?
Advertisement
07-07-2010, 07:40   #10
RoadKillTs

Quote:
Where exactly does the Newport - Mulranny route begin in Newport? Is it near the town itself?
Its just outside the town. You go out the Mulranny road about a quarter or a mile and there is a sharpish corner ahead. The start is just before the corner on the left. Its marked. Should be some parking available on the right.
Thanks from:
07-07-2010, 10:07   #11
oscarBravo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgeo View Post
rumours they want to bring it to achill but there is a load of bridges need rebuilding and i am sure its land grabbed in parts.
They'll have similar problems bringing it to Westport, but I really think it's worth it. As for landgrabs, they got a lot of co-operation from landowners on the existing route. It might be trickier for the new phases - as best I can track it, it actually goes through people's gardens in places - but hopefully they'll get similar levels of co-operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKillTs View Post
Its just outside the town. You go out the Mulranny road about a quarter or a mile and there is a sharpish corner ahead. The start is just before the corner on the left. Its marked. Should be some parking available on the right.
It could be better signposted, alright.
07-07-2010, 15:23   #12
mardybumbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKillTs View Post
Thanks.
I'd often travel through Newport on my way to Mulranny.
Not once have I noticed a cycling track, but then again I haven't been looking for one.
Think I'm going to cycle this route next week if the weather holds up.
07-07-2010, 16:31   #13
Bob the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo View Post
They'll have similar problems bringing it to Westport, but I really think it's worth it. As for landgrabs, they got a lot of co-operation from landowners on the existing route. It might be trickier for the new phases - as best I can track it, it actually goes through people's gardens in places - but hopefully they'll get similar levels of co-operation.
You'd be surprised how easy most, if not all people have co-operated with it. There were something like 49 landowners house-visited and using an incentive from the Dept. of Rural Affairs, everyone was extremely co-operative..

Quote:
It could be better signposted, alright.
That's in the process of happening. Or at least was. Should be on course in the next few months.
07-07-2010, 18:51   #14
happyoutscan

If you're coming from the Newport direction it's handier to start the cycle at the 7 Arches Bridge. This is located about 1 mile outside Newport, you'll see the impressive stone bridge on your right hand side. Turn right there and there is room for parking. From here the Greenway is all scenery and in my opinion the best place to start your cycle.

As far as I know they are making great progress and are hopeful to have most of it completed within a year or so.
07-07-2010, 19:06   #15
oscarBravo
Administrator

I came across a drawing somewhere that showed the route of the planned Westport-Newport section. I was delighted to see it linking with the end of the existing railway line walk, crossing Altamont street via the old railway bridge, over the viaduct across the river, and out along the old railway alignment past Allergan. The crossing of the N5 will be an interesting problem, but I suppose not much worse than where the Greenway crosses the N59 at Burrishoole.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion