towing capacity - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2010, 18:50   #16
BrianD3

It may be the case that a tacho is needed for any combination over 3.5 tonnes. However it's incorrect to say you need an EC1 licence for any combination over 3.5 tonnes. Once the towing vehicle is in category B (which a 3500 kg GVW transit would be) then you need an EB licence, not an EC1.

Quote:
everyone driving a D-Max and new l200 with a trailer would be driving illegally ,
Many of those only have a B licence in which case they are driving illegally if towing heavy (say 1500+ kg) GVW trailers.

PS a 3500 kg GVW transit can tow a <750 GVW trailer on a B licence
Advertisement
03-07-2010, 19:48   #17
Slidey
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
the tachos are probably fitted to the transits for employee monitoring or making sure that any of the lads on site etc.. with only a B licence dont chance it and get the van impounded or crashed. it would seem a bit odd as 90% of the d-max's and l200s have towbars but id be hard pushed to find one with a tachograph
They are owned by a large rentals company and leased to a company that subs for Eircom so I doubt that it is the reason.

I would also be of the opinion that most people with a B licence would not even know what that square box that looked like a radio does.
12-07-2010, 15:55   #18
Slidey
Closed Account

I emailed the licence division in Ballina and got a very fast reply today

Quote:
Dear <snip>,

Your category B (car) Licence limits you to a combined weight of 3,500kg.

Definition of an EB Licence from

Extract from the Road Traffic( Licensing of Drivers Regulations ) 2006. Part 2 Section 6.

Combinations of Vehicles with drawing vehicle in Category B and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is greater than 750kg.

As you can see it doesn’t mention a limit to the weight you can draw, however you must bear in mind that the towing vehicle –Jeep, car, must be designed and capable of towing the trailer you have in mind.

Kind regards

Mary <snip>

Driver Licensing Section
12-07-2010, 16:15   #19
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidey View Post
I emailed the licence division in Ballina and got a very fast reply today
so since the unladen weight of all these crewcabs is most likely below 2.7 tonnes all the crewcabs can tow a 750kg trailer on a B licence , but if you want to tow anything over 750KG you definitley need an EB Licence , and the max train weight of anything should never be exceeded , although considering the train weight on the likes of the Isuzu D-Max is 6.5 tonnes i dont think it will be a problem
12-07-2010, 16:22   #20
R.O.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
so since the unladen weight of all these crewcabs is most likely below 2.7 tonnes all the crewcabs can tow a 750kg trailer on a B licence , but if you want to tow anything over 750KG you definitley need an EB Licence , and the max train weight of anything should never be exceeded , although considering the train weight on the likes of the Isuzu D-Max is 6.5 tonnes i dont think it will be a problem
GVW of the D-Max is close to 3.5Ton to qualify it for €50 VRT, so if you stick a tow-bar on the back of it, techincally you'll need a tacho as it takes the GTW over 3.5Tonnes.

At least that's what I think!

I used spec vans like Slidey mentions. 3.5Ton LWB Transits with a Tow Bar.
Advertisement
12-07-2010, 16:22   #21
Slidey
Closed Account

Well the email I sent asked the question; What is the maximum combined weight that can be pulled using an EB licence
12-07-2010, 17:26   #22
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.R View Post
GVW of the D-Max is close to 3.5Ton to qualify it for €50 VRT, so if you stick a tow-bar on the back of it, techincally you'll need a tacho as it takes the GTW over 3.5Tonnes.

At least that's what I think!

I used spec vans like Slidey mentions. 3.5Ton LWB Transits with a Tow Bar.
the gvw of it IS 3.5 tonnes, but from the response slidey got it looks like the combined laden weight cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes so if you take the unladen weight of the d-max , add whatever you as a driver weigh and then whatever is left over from 3.5 tonnes is what you can tow, if you actually start putting things in the d-max then you would need an EB licence, the d-max does not weigh 3.5 tonnes but has the potential to when fully laden
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion