Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

10-07-2011, 12:24   #766
CatFromHue

my point is in a game between nz and oz or sa in the knock out stages or final i would be up for nz. it was a response to a "who would you be supoorting other than ireland question". i would equally be up for a 6 nations team in the knock out stage / final. except for wales in their group games, i hope fiji and or samoa win there.

i would prefer if the world champions are actually the best side, not just in the day, but for at least a season or two before/after the competition.
Advertisement
11-07-2011, 08:12   #767
JustinDee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFromHue View Post
my point is in a game between nz and oz or sa in the knock out stages or final i would be up for nz. it was a response to a "who would you be supoorting other than ireland question". i would equally be up for a 6 nations team in the knock out stage / final. except for wales in their group games, i hope fiji and or samoa win there.

i would prefer if the world champions are actually the best side, not just in the day, but for at least a season or two before/after the competition.
Its not an aggregated competition. The winning side is World Champion regardless of season outside and in my view, thats bang on.

If Ireland got knocked out, there isn't any one side I'd go for to win it (and I'm an Australian citizen). Its international rugby and we have one team. I don't go for that hemispherical convenient tribalism tosh meself.
Thanks from:
11-07-2011, 10:41   #768
CatFromHue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDee View Post
I don't go for that hemispherical convenient tribalism tosh meself.
well la de da! I do.
(3) thanks from:
14-07-2011, 10:30   #769
thomond2006

O'Gara tears calf in training.

RONAN O'Gara has admitted he is now playing World Cup catch-up after tearing his calf during pre-season training.

The Ireland fly-half has not done much running since picking up the injury to his right leg on July 1, but is expecting to return as Ireland reconvene at Maynooth's Carton House for the second session in camp.

Although the injury should not affect his New Zealand chances, with 58 days to go before Ireland kick-off against the USA on September 11, O'Gara is determined not to rush the injury after Jerry Flannery had his season ruined by calf problems last year.

"I hurt myself on the last day in Carton House," he said. "I tore my calf running. I just pushed the body so hard in the first week that I got a bit of a twinge. I'm nearly back, but I haven't done much running for the last 10 days.

"I'm playing catch-up -- most definitely the lads are ahead of me. They will have had four heavy fitness sessions on me and the sessions look really hard, so I'll have to make that up. But I wouldn't give too much thought to something like that."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...p-2821183.html
14-07-2011, 10:59   #770
emmet02

Advertisement
14-07-2011, 11:15   #771
part time punk

Not good news about ROG ... without wanting to get into a big debate about Paddy Wallace as it's been done to death already who would be next in line? Don't know enough about Humpreys or Keatley. Is there anyone else?
14-07-2011, 11:25   #772
keane2097

Doesn't really sound like that big a deal tbh.

ROG probably won't be first choice so I can't see four or five fitness sessions being the end of the world when he comes on with 20 minutes to go?
14-07-2011, 12:16   #773
Blured

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane2097 View Post

ROG probably won't be first choice so I can't see four or five fitness sessions being the end of the world when he comes on with 20 minutes to go?
I think the worry is that it doesnt heal properly and we are left with Paddy Wallace as the number 2 outhalf.
Thanks from:
14-07-2011, 12:22   #774
part time punk

Also you probably only want your first choice team playing 2 or 3 of the group games so they're not wrecked come the knock out stages. ROGs experience and skills would be crucial e.g. in the game against Russia particularly if a lot of the team weren't first choice.
Advertisement
14-07-2011, 12:35   #775
crisco10

Quote:

Also means he will miss a lot of the conditioning work done in pre season...
14-07-2011, 12:58   #776
emmet02

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco10 View Post
Quote:

Also means he will miss a lot of the conditioning work done in pre season...
We need ROG, make no mistake.

This is sexton's first international knock out tournament bar the Churchill. He will need ROG alongside him.

Rest the **** out of that leg and get back in business ASAP ROG!!
14-07-2011, 13:23   #777
vinny chase
Closed Account

We definitely need O'Gara in the squad heading into this World Cup. The fact that Paddy Wallace is the only real alternative is only one of the reasons. I've always felt O'Gara's experience is invaluable in a tight situations.
Thanks from:
17-07-2011, 21:40   #778
Dave_The_Sheep

Bit of a strange one. Wonder who paid for that one, Carton House?

Good stuff out of Jamie at the urinal.
Thanks from:
17-07-2011, 21:47   #779
faigs

Puma obviously!
17-07-2011, 21:49   #780
copacetic

Puma ad so they would have paid, Carton likely let them use venue for free..
Thread Closed