Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2010, 07:56   #1
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Children in the front seat

Hi all,
Just something that Ive been thinking about. Does anybody know why children arent allowed in the front seat? I know children under a certain height/size have to have an additional booster in the back, but when they reach a certain age, they dont. From this point, why are not allowed in the front? If anything, being in the front seat is safer. More airbags in the front, etc..
Advertisement
18-06-2010, 08:30   #2
Michael 09

i THINK it has something to do with the power at which the airbag is released it can injure a child because they would get it to the face...

I could be wrong but i think it's something like that anyway
18-06-2010, 10:06   #3
cjt156

Children are allowed in the front seat if the airbag can be de-activated.
18-06-2010, 10:13   #4
voxpop

I thought it was only babies that were not supposed to be in the front - due to the airbag. Surely once the child can sit with seatbelt on correctly - its safe to sit in the front ?
18-06-2010, 10:27   #5
smcgiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxpop View Post
I thought it was only babies that were not supposed to be in the front - due to the airbag. Surely once the child can sit with seatbelt on correctly - its safe to sit in the front ?
I think the height limit is 5 feet or 12 years of age. I think the height is the one to work to and if over 5 feet then front seat shouldn't be a problem.
Advertisement
18-06-2010, 11:08   #6
cjt156

Quote:
Where safety belts have been fitted, they must be worn.
Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.
Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles.
Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts.
A rearward-facing child car seat must not be used in the front passenger seat of cars with active airbags.
A child car seat must be in accordance with EU or United Nations - Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE) standards.
Make sure passengers aged under 17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt. All drivers are legally responsible for this
Nothing about kids in the back - unless you've no seat belts.
From here.
18-06-2010, 11:58   #7
Guy:Incognito

Anyone know what the situation is for kids in vans?

Although I think having kids in the van means your not using it for work purposes
18-06-2010, 11:58   #8
BostonB

I thought theres a law that kids under 12 have to be in the back seats if theres back seats, unless the only seat belts are in the front.
18-06-2010, 12:01   #9
who the fug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB View Post
I thought theres a law that kids under 12 have to be in the back seats if theres back seats, unless the only seat belts are in the front.
It was the law when they first brought seat belts in
Advertisement
18-06-2010, 13:01   #10
cjt156

Quote:
Originally Posted by who the fug View Post
It was the law when they first brought seat belts in
Correct, that's all been superceeded by the above.

Essentailly your kid can sit anywhere as long as they're in an appropriate child seat or booster. No babies near the airbags up front. No seatbelts?>>sit in the back.
18-06-2010, 14:42   #11
Lex Luthor

I see plenty kids under the age of 12 in front seats with boosters....

I wasn't aware it was illegal. (Scandalous on the parents behalf if there is a back seat)
18-06-2010, 15:48   #12
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
I see plenty kids under the age of 12 in front seats with boosters....

I wasn't aware it was illegal. (Scandalous on the parents behalf if there is a back seat)
It seems if they have booster seats, they are allowed to sit anywhere in the car. If they dont have a booster seat, they are not allowed travel?

Also, its not scandalous in fairness. When in the mini, my daughter sits in the front in her seat (shes nearly 7) because the seats are safer in the front. The rear belts are the ones that have no give in them, just tighten them to the desired tightness. Also, there are no rear headrests, so nothing stopping her head going back.
Thanks from:
18-06-2010, 15:53   #13
Richie..Galway

but my car has 10 airbags 4 of which are in the rear so whats the situation with that then? kids are always in the back because they are 3 and 4 years old but whats the situation with airbags in the rear if thats the reason they cannot sit in the front in a child seat
18-06-2010, 15:56   #14
voxpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie..Galway View Post
but my car has 10 airbags 4 of which are in the rear so whats the situation with that then? kids are always in the back because they are 3 and 4 years old but whats the situation with airbags in the rear if thats the reason they cannot sit in the front in a child seat
The reason for the front seat is because the airbag comes out of the dash and can hit the baby or baby seat. Babies necks being weak and having big head means that forward/backwards motions are very bad. The rear ones are most likely in the doors
18-06-2010, 16:00   #15
Yawns

Kids can sit in the front once they are in the appropiate seat. A kids seat can be in the front but not a rear facing seat if there's an active airbag. The reason being when the airbag is deployed it will push the rear facing seat into the chair and the baby may be suffocated etc.

A front facing seat can be used these days afaik. Once it is appropiate for the child and is properly secured that is.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion