WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure - Page 6 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation
5 stars (excellent) 9 75.00%
4 stars (good) 1 8.33%
3 stars (average) 2 16.67%
2 stars (poor) 0 0%
1 star (terrible) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2010, 21:28   #76
c montgomery

Anyone have any info on the river run at the end. The website doesn't have any info on it. Just wondering how long it is and what type of terraine will be involved or are we actually running through a river bed.

Also my friend requested a refund due to removal of the kayak stage and hasen't heard anything back from the organisers yet. Anyone else get a refund?
Advertisement
12-09-2010, 21:52   #77
jackyback

I completed most of the bike section today, all i can say is with the climbs. At least i know what faces me!!
12-09-2010, 21:54   #78
c montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyback View Post
I completed most of the bike section today, all i can say is with the climbs. At least i know what faces me!!

Whats the offroad/unsealed road section like?
12-09-2010, 21:57   #79
jackyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by c montgomery View Post
Whats the offroad/unsealed road section like?
I did not get to that section as i was doing the Jim Loughman 123km which covers some of WAR terrain, Shay Elliot is a tough climb.
12-09-2010, 22:49   #80
Fi H

I dont think the river run will be either long or that tough by the sounds of things. Its just being added to the end to give the race a bit of spice Nothing to be scared of.

Any sign of flooding etc on your cycle?
Advertisement
12-09-2010, 23:19   #81
Oryx
Soloist

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
Re refunds etc Id say give it time. Its two weeks to the event, Id say they are inundated with issues to sort out, especially with the changes. Theyre usually a good crew when it comes to following up on communications.
13-09-2010, 11:55   #82
fishboy1974

Did the 2 cycle stages on Saturday:

Stage 1 is definitely the tougher of the 2, after about 3-4 KM there is an uphill segment of about 1.5KM that comes out of nowhere and does not look particularly steep but takes a alot of you. From there on until you reach the Shay Elliot it is relatively easy [couln't find the off road part and is not marked as of yet]. Shay Elliot is long and is gruel but in reality the hardest parts are when you turn into it if for the first KM and the last 250 metres which is very tough. After the descent past the lodge the next climp IMO is way tougher, its just as long as the Shay but the gradient is steeper. After having done a 10KM run this will be hurt alot of folk [outside of elites].

Stage 2 starts off with a wicked descent which is relatively straight [so alot of speed] but a little gravelly in parts and then turns up through the mountain, its steep here but manageable. Once your through this your pretty much home and is mostly descents. Alot of care needed when descending as road is quite cut up until you get back to Glenmalure. If its wet there could be carnage here and be careful of pot holes, theres alot of them.

WTF is a river run and how long is it??
Thanks from:
15-09-2010, 15:14   #83
nerraw1111
Closed Account

Thinking of doing this. Probably opt for the sports class as I'm feeling pretty lazy at the moment and will be working later that day.

Anyone know what the first run, Kirikee mountain is like? Trail/muddy/enjoyable?
15-09-2010, 16:07   #84
Fi H

I know its through a farmers land so isnt really all that accessible. I would reckon v muddy given the current weather But the top part i think is a trail
Advertisement
15-09-2010, 16:48   #85
trinewbie

Kirakee run is fireroad for the first few k, then out into a farmers field to the summit,its grass, it might be wet but its not too mucky...the descent from the summit is on what seems like half built fireroad, so it a mixture of peat like soil and some gravel, nice and bouncy to run on , mucky in spots....then back onto a small bit of fireroad and a section through the trees, back into a field and then back on the fireroad....Its a nice run, not all that tough tbh.
15-09-2010, 16:48   #86
mexican.mitch

Hi All

Hi all any newbie’s out there?

This will be my first adventure race and I’m wondering how long people expect he “sport version” to take?

I did the first part of the run (up to the top and back the same way) on the weekend and half of the cycle (to just before the off road section). I must admit I found it very difficult, I’ll be very happy just to finish!

We drove the off road section in a 4 by 4 and met the farmer who owns the lad (by the way he said he didn’t know when WAR was on ekkkk and hoped he wasn't herding cows that day) Anyone have any firm insight into the last leg?
15-09-2010, 17:15   #87
nerraw1111
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinewbie View Post
Kirakee run is fireroad for the first few k, then out into a farmers field to the summit,its grass, it might be wet but its not too mucky...the descent from the summit is on what seems like half built fireroad, so it a mixture of peat like soil and some gravel, nice and bouncy to run on , mucky in spots....then back onto a small bit of fireroad and a section through the trees, back into a field and then back on the fireroad....Its a nice run, not all that tough tbh.
Cheers for that Trinewbie. It looks like a nice fast run on Google maps. Trying to decide sports or expert. Bit tried after GF and Roar but wouldn't mind one last tough hurrah.
15-09-2010, 17:20   #88
Fi H

Ah go on...make the sea 2 summit your last hurrah instead

Just wondering if anyone at all is planning on staying around glenmalure on sat night? we havent booked anywhere on the basis that most people will head abck t o dublin but just wondering!
15-09-2010, 17:46   #89
Peterx

Just waiting now for the horsie racing style bookies favourites tips from the race organiser
Without seeing the final entries I'm already looking forward to the duel between;

Aaron O'Donohue - fastest over a shorter Hellfire Duathlon
Niall Somers - 2nd in Achill ROAR
Kevin Keane - fast in numerous triathlons this year

I'd nearly go for a walk on the second hillrun cos there will be places gained and lost on that section if previous WAR races are anything to go by.

If Padraig "superstar" Marrey makes an appearance there could be even more fireworks and EoinyBeany Keith is always there or thereabouts...Apologies to the ladies but as I say I haven't seen the start list!
16-09-2010, 09:28   #90
fishboy1974

Has anyone here done the Croaghanmoira run and if yes how exactly do you access trail, i have an idea its on the left hand side of road having done climb past Glenmalure Lodge but not 100%.

Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion