Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time slips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I love these stories, it's as if there's been a glitch in the software that runs the universe.

I watched that Youtube video about the group that visited the hotel in France. one thing that is problematic is that they could use modern currency and not have the hotel owner make a big fuss about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Yeah that was odd, maybe in those days the type of currency wasn't so rigorously enforced, or maybe the hotel owner just thought it was different because they'd gotten it from elsewhere? There are tons of timeslip stories online though, the ones into the future or supposedly other dimensions are the weirdest, like the following one, I wonder if its true that people can accidentally get in and out of a parallel universe, and if so, maybe some people who disappear off the face of the earth without reason accidentally get into another universe and can't get back, as may have happened to these girls if they hadn't gotten away:

Janna North had the wheel of her father's 1971 Chevrolet Nova, and Carol
    Abbott was in the passenger seat. Sitting in the back seat were Lisa
    Rochefort and Bethany Gordon. It was after 10 p.m. when the girls crossed
    the Utah-Nevada state line nine miles (14 kilometers) east of Modena. And
    they were anxious to get back to the campus before their housemother, Mrs.
    Mortensen, locked the dorm doors.

That stretch of Utah Highway 56 is pretty desolate, all sand and sagebrush
    and ocotillo and Spanish bayonet, with the red sandstone bluffs on the
    northern horizon. So the girls were pretty happy when they finally spotted
    the Union Pacific railroad crossing at Modena. But just past the rails,
    Janna noticed something strange. Two sets of blacktop highway headed off
    into the desert--one veered sharply to the southeast, the other shooting
    northeast toward the canyon country further north.

"Which one do we take?" asked Carol.

"Left," Janna said. She knew that Cedar City was 46 miles (73 kilometers) to
    the northeast, and she guessed that the canyon road would bring them home
    much sooner.

Five minutes later, the Chevy entered the red-rock canyon. Janna, who had
    been chatting with her friends, suddenly noticed that the car's headlights
    were shining more brightly on the pavement. Looking closer, she let out a
    gasp. The white centerline was gone. Instead of black asphalt, they were
    driving on white cement..

"Janna, up ahead!" Carol exclaimed.

Janna gasped. The highway ended abruptly at a rocky cliff face. Janna
    stepped down hard on the brake pedal. Fishtailing slightly, the Chevy
    screeched to a stop in front of the cliff.

"Oh, great! A dead end!" Putting the gear into reverse, Janna swung the
    car's nose around. "You'd think they'd put up a few warning signs."

"Now we've got to go all the way back to Modena," Bethany complained.

"We're never going to make curfew," Lisa said.

"We'll make good time once we're back on the state highway," Janna assured
    them.

Tense minutes passed. Janna began to feel uneasy. They were still rolling
    along, hemmed in by red canyon walls. But they should have been back out in
    the open desert by this time.

The canyon gradually gave way to open country. The girls gasped. Instead of
    moonlit desert, they saw grain fields on the right and a large like, with
    stands of ponderosa pine, on the left.

Carol looked around in awe. "This sure ain't Modena!"

"We must've gotten turned around back there," Janna said, her gaze darting
    back and forth. "Where the hell are we?"

Up ahead Janna spied a roadhouse (tavern--J.T.) and an adjacent parking lot.
    It seemed to have a neon sign, but she couldn't red it. What should have
    been letters were brightly-lit squiggles and curlycues. Some men came out of
    the building.

"There are some guys," Carol said.

Bethany let out a giggle. "Are they cute?"

"Let's find out." Lisa began rolling down the rear passenger window.

"Lisa! We don't have time for this," Janna said.

"Relax!" Hastily she touched up her lipstick. "I'm only going to ask them
    how to get back to the highway."

As Janna slowed down, she noticed a good deal of consternation among the
    men. As if they'd been startled by some unknown animal. Sticking her head
    out the window, Lisa said, "Hi! We're--" And she let out a terrified scream.

"Lisa! What--!?" Janna turned in her seat.

"Get out of here!" the girl screamed, frantically rolling up the window.
    "Punch it, Jana!"

Bethany shrieked, "Step on it!"

Tires sitting sand, the Chevy zoomed away from the building. Janna stepped
    down hard on the gas pedal. The lake flew by on her left.

"Oh, my God! They're coming after us!" Bethany shouted. "Janna, faster!"

Janna glanced in her rear-view mirror, and what she saw turned her blood to
    ice. They were being chased, but not by any vehicle that had ever been built
    in Detroit.

Four queer-looking automobiles followed in their wake. Egg-shaped vehicles
    mounted on tricycle wheels. That is, with two large wheels in the front and
    a smaller wheel in the rear. A single bright white headlight shone from the
    front of each pursuing "car." They made a strange whirring or buzzing sound
    as they rolled along.

"Janna, go faster! They're gaining on us!"

Ahead the road led back into a red-rock canyon. Janna's Checy plunged into
    it at 80 miles per hour. The road was so narrow, it seemed to hem them in.
    The Chevy's tires kicked up a billowing cloud of dust. They could no longer
    see their pursuers.

Minutes later, they roared out of the canyon, back into the familiar desert.
    All at once, the road vanished. The headlights showed nothing but sagebrush
    and ocotillo. The Chevy bucked and jostled like a wild bronc. Janna hit the
    brakes. Too late! The car sideskidded down an arroyo and came to rest at the
    bottom.

Shaking uncontrollably, the girls emerged from the car. Miraculously they
    were unhurt. The Chevy took the worst of it, with three flat tires, numerous
    dings in the front bumper and a missing hubcap. Jenna took one look and
    clapped both hands to her forehead. "Oh, no-no-no! My dad's going to kill
    me!"

Lisa, however, was near-hysterical. She sat on the ground, hugging the knees
    of her bell- bottom blue jeans, weeping and moaning, She kept mumbling,
    "They-they weren't human..."

The girls stayed with the car until sunrise. Then they walked a couple of
    miles due south. Boy, were they glad when they found the familiar blacktop
    of Highway 56. An hour later, they flagged down a cruiser of the Utah
    Highway Patrol and told their story.

Trooper Vic Lundquist, who investigated the case, noted several
    circumstances that were never adequately explained.

(1) There were no tire tracks showing where the Chevy had left Highway 56 in
    Modena.

(2) Tire tracks from the wrecked Chevy extended only 200 yards back into the
    desert and ended abruptly.

(3) No one could explain how the Chevy had gotten nearly two miles north of
    Highway 56 without leaving any physical trace of its passage through the
    rough desert terrain.

(4) Although volunteers searched diligently, no trace of the Chevy's right
    front hubcap was ever found.

If Utah's Gadianton Canyon is, as some people claim, a gateway to another
    dimension, then perhaps Janna's missing hubcap is a prime exhibit--an "alien
    artifact"--on display in a museum on that parallel Earth. (See the book
    Utah: A Guide to the State by Hastings House Publishers, New York, N.Y.,
    1945, page 298.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think timeslips are a type of brain malfunction which just completely erase parts of memory.

Then how do you explain the above? The tire tracks starting from nowhere, missing hubcap, etc? And how can a brain malfunction happen to multiple people at the same time, resulting in them all seeing the same thing?

Then how do you explain the above? The tire tracks starting from nowhere, missing hubcap, etc? And how can a brain malfunction happen to multiple people at the same time, resulting in them all seeing the same thing?

How do I know?
    However its not beyond all conjecture if I had minute details.Especially as regards the tire tracks i.e what sort of terrain were they on,weather etc.
    My first idea was a suspicious one.That is they were up to something untoward and needed to cover themselves.They might have been off their faces on goofballs,got lost,were driving erratically,crashed and subsequently shocked into coherence,didnt know were they were and so were late getting back before curfew.They needed an excuse,something extraordinary to explain an extraordinary turn of events.
    The hubcap,I doubt the girls even know were to begin looking but they picked a spot anyway to fit in with their story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the real issue though is such a story verifyable? Theres a podcast about it (which I'm about to listen to) and some comments on it at http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread233586/pg1

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

this is quite interesting . I wonder if there are any irish stories of time slip?

maccored wrote: »
    the real issue though is such a story verifyable? Theres a podcast about it (which I'm about to listen to) and some comments on it at http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread233586/pg1

This podcast doesn't seem to be accessible for me. Is anyone else having problems viewing it?
    bigeasyeah wrote: »
    How do I know?
    However its not beyond all conjecture if I had minute details.Especially as regards the tire tracks i.e what sort of terrain were they on,weather etc.
    My first idea was a suspicious one.That is they were up to something untoward and needed to cover themselves.They might have been off their faces on goofballs,got lost,were driving erratically,crashed and subsequently shocked into coherence,didnt know were they were and so were late getting back before curfew.They needed an excuse,something extraordinary to explain an extraordinary turn of events.
    The hubcap,I doubt the girls even know were to begin looking but they picked a spot anyway to fit in with their story.

But the police also searched the area and investigated, and they couldn't find the hubcap or explain why the tire tracks stopped so suddenly either. Of course this one may be far-fetched, but others, like the Versailles one, are quite famous and come from reputable sources. It's too bad the Berry Pomeroy ones don't seem to be online. One involves 2 women driving past the cottage next to BP when they found themselves on a weird-looking farm, with very strange chickens running around and a girl dressed in sackcloth. The cottage had only one storey. They felt very uncomfortable and left, but went back the next day to find out why it was so odd there. The chickens and girl had gone and the cottage now had two storeys.

The other involved a pilot flying over Berry Pomeroy and seeing it looking glorious, with all its banners flying and everything. But when he either went there or passed it again, it was totally different, just old ruins with no ceiling or banners or anything. He asked about it and described what he had seen. It turned out he'd seen it as it was hundreds of years ago, his description matched the way it had been perfectly. Don't know why a professional like a pilot would lie, especially as with a job like pilot, he wouldn't want people to think he was mad or untrustworthy. Both of those stories are in books about hauntings in Devon, and were investigated by professionals.

This podcast doesn't seem to be accessible for me. Is anyone else having problems viewing it?

But the police also searched the area and investigated, and they couldn't find the hubcap or explain why the tire tracks stopped so suddenly either..

Like I said as regards the hubcaps,I d say the girls had the police look in another area either because they didnt know where they were,the area mentioned was chosen as is fit into their story, or they wanted to throw the police off.
    Of course this one may be far-fetched, but others, like the Versailles one, are quite famous and come from reputable sources. It's too bad the Berry Pomeroy ones don't seem to be online. One involves 2 women driving past the cottage next to BP when they found themselves on a weird-looking farm, with very strange chickens running around and a girl dressed in sackcloth. The cottage had only one storey. They felt very uncomfortable and left, but went back the next day to find out why it was so odd there. The chickens and girl had gone and the cottage now had two storeys.

The other involved a pilot flying over Berry Pomeroy and seeing it looking glorious, with all its banners flying and everything. But when he either went there or passed it again, it was totally different, just old ruins with no ceiling or banners or anything. He asked about it and described what he had seen. It turned out he'd seen it as it was hundreds of years ago, his description matched the way it had been perfectly. Don't know why a professional like a pilot would lie, especially as with a job like pilot, he wouldn't want people to think he was mad or untrustworthy. Both of those stories are in books about hauntings in Devon, and were investigated by professionals.

Well theres badapples and nutjobs in every profession but yes its interesting.However this brings me back to my original notion of a brain malfunction.
    Who are these professionals who investigated these occurrences?
    It is very interesting though.

works fine for me, plus it does a particularly good job of questioning said story.

direct link is http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/files.abovetopsecret.com/podcasts/atsxpod_2000.mp3

• Advertisement

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Who are these professionals who investigated these occurrences?

I'm looking for the book it was in, I'll let you know when I find it, I can't remember the full stories off the top of my head.
    maccored wrote: »
    works fine for me, plus it does a particularly good job of questioning said story.

direct link is http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/files.abovetopsecret.com/podcasts/atsxpod_2000.mp3
    Thanks.

Here is a video, I found it just now, I haven't investigated it or anything so maybe there's a reasonable explanation, but the person who showed it to me says that some people say it could be of a time slip/parallel dimension slip. It shows a truck suddenly appearing out of nowhere:
    http://www.wat.tv/video/collision-mysterieuse-entre-1ajhd_2ey61_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Big fan of time slips, really curious about them. Some of the stories are just down right creepy. Especially the ones about people slipping into an alternative univseise where a totally different species exist on earth
    This is a good story here
    I take pleasure in sharing with you the following occurrence because I personally interviewed one of the parties involved, and have repeatedly gone over the incident with him these past six years. L.C. (his real initials) has been my friend for fifteen years, but as we visited together one day about six years ago, he told me of this most amazing event in his life which haunts him to this day.

L.C. and a business associate, Charlie, (fictitious name) had just finished lunch in the small Southwest Louisiana town of Abbeville. Still discussing their work, they began their drive north along Highway 167 towards the Oil Center city of Lafayette about 15 miles away. The date was October 20, 1969, and the time was about 1:30 in the afternoon. It was one of those picture-perfect days in Fall--clear blue skies and a nippy 60 degrees, just right conditions for cruising along with the car windows rolled down.

The highway had been practically traffic-free until they spotted some distance ahead what appeared to be an old turtle-back-type auto traveling very slowly. As they closed the distance between their vehicle and this relic from the past, their discussion turned from their insurance work to the old car ahead of them. While the style of the auto indicated it to be decades old, it appeared to be in show room condition, which evoked words of admiration from both L.C. and Charlie. Because the car was traveling so slowly, the two men decided to pass it, but before doing so, slowed to better appreciate the beauty and mint condition of the vehicle. As they did so, L.C. noticed a very large bright orange license plate with the year "1940" clearly printed on it. This was most unusual and probably illegal unless provisions had been made for the antique car to be used in ceremonial parades.

As they passed the car slowly to its left, L.C., who was in the passenger's seat, noticed the driver of the car was a young woman dressed in what appeared to be 1940 vintage clothing. This was 1969 and a young woman wearing a hat complete with a long colored feather and a fur coat was, to say the least, a bit unusual. A small child stood on the seat next to her, possibly a little girl. The gender of the child was hard to determine as it too wore a heavy coat and cap. The windows of her car were rolled up, a fact which puzzled L.C. because, though the temperature was nippy, it was quite pleasant and a light sweater was sufficient to keep you comfortable. As they pulled up next to the car, their study turned to alarm as their attention was riveted to the animated expressions of fear and panic on the woman's face. Driving alongside of her at a near crawl (no traffic in either direction allowed this maneuvering) they could see her frantically looking back and forth as if lost or in need of help. She appeared on the verge of tears.

Being on the passenger's side, L.C. called out to her and asked if she needed help. To this she nodded "yes," all the while looking down (old cars sat a little higher than the low profiles of today's cars) with a very puzzled look at their vehicle. L.C. motioned to her to pull over and park on the side of the road. He had to repeat the request several times with hand signs and mouthing the words because her window was rolled up and it seemed she had difficulty hearing them. They saw her begin to pull over so they continued to pass her so as to safely pull over also in front of her. As they came to a halt on the shoulder of the road, L.C. and Charlie turned to look at the old car behind them. However, to their astonishment, there was no sign of the car. Remember, this was on an open highway with no side roads nearby, no place to hide a car. It and its occupants had simply vanished.

L.C. and Charlie looked back at the empty highway. As they sat in the car, spellbound and bewildered, it was obvious to them that a search would prove futile. Meanwhile, the driver of a vehicle that had been behind the old car pulled over behind them. He ran to L.C. and Charlie and frantically demanded an explanation as to what had become of the car ahead of him. His account was as follows. He was driving North on Highway 167 when he saw, some distance away, a new car passing up a very old car at a slow pace, so slow that they appeared to be nearly stopped. He saw the new car pull onto the shoulder and the old car started to do the same. Momentarily, it obstructed the new car and then suddenly disappeared. All that remained ahead of him was the new car on the shoulder of the highway. Desperate to associate logic to this incredible sight, he immediately assumed an accident had occurred. Indeed, an accident had not occurred, but something more haunting, perhaps as tragic, and certainly more mysterious had.

After discussing what each had seen from his perspective, the three men walked the area for an hour. The third man, who was from out of state, insisted on reporting the incident to the police. He felt that it was a "missing person" situation and that they had been witnesses. L.C. and Charlie refused to do so as they had no idea where the woman and child along with the car had gone. They were missing alright, but no police on this plane of existence had the power to find them. The third man finally decided that without their cooperation he could not report this on his own for fear his sanity would be questioned. He did exchange addresses and phone numbers with L.C. and Charlie. For years he kept in touch with them, calling just to talk about his incident and to confirm again that he had seen what he had.

High strangeness points to ponder over: what if--she was from the past, and went forward in time, and she is now an old lady still living today, and what if on that same day it had been her instead of L.C. and Charlie behind the "old car," that same now old lady would have met herself. What if--the Earth itself has a super mentality and it creates as a cosmic joke all these anomalies of life on its surface just for its amusement or some other esoteric reason. What if--and this is the final and most depressing of the "what ifs"--she had come from the past, popped into the future and did not return to her past. The newspapers of 1940 would puzzle over a disappeance of a mother and her child one cold October day, foul play suspected, the search continues--while she and the child continue traveling in and out of various time zones forever.

http://www.strangemag.com/highstrangenesstimetrav.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'm looking for the book it was in, I'll let you know when I find it, I can't remember the full stories off the top of my head.

Thanks.

Here is a video, I found it just now, I haven't investigated it or anything so maybe there's a reasonable explanation, but the person who showed it to me says that some people say it could be of a time slip/parallel dimension slip. It shows a truck suddenly appearing out of nowhere:
    http://www.wat.tv/video/collision-mysterieuse-entre-1ajhd_2ey61_.html

That video has been tampered with. i have seen the original and there definately isn't a second truck in it. That truck was too close to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mjcross

TIME SLIP
    A number of years ago I booked a meal in your restaurant in the Castle Leslie in Monaghan. We were met by the daughter of the owner then and showed around the reception / lobby and where the toilets were etc. After a drink in the large living room we were brought through and sat in the dining room where the four of us started our meal. After the starter my brother-in-law left the table to go to the gents toilet. A couple of minutes later I decided to also go to the toilet. I went back out to the lobby and opened the panel door where we were told the gents was. When I opened the door I was looking into quite a large room with 'pigeon hole' type shelving on the back wall and a man in dark type trousers and a white blouson shirt. The man had shoulder length black curly hair. I said immediately 'Oh sorry I'm in the wrong room'. He never turned around. I turned around and went to the next door panel and opened it and it was immediately clear it was the entrance to the ladies toilet. I turned around again and then seen my brother-in-law exit the last door I was in. I asked him 'what were you doing in there' to which he responded 'It's the gents'. I said 'No way'. I opened the door and immediately seen the hooks for coats etc and the different angle of the walls. My brother-in-law said that he heard me speaking earlier whilst he was in the toilets.
    We both went back to the dining room and on arrival at the table my wife said to me 'jesus you look like you've seen a ghost ....'.

I have read recently that the current castle was built on the site of Plantation castle so maybe it was a time slip back to those days ....

i had one experience a few years ago that I still cant explain. Around 2009 I was driving along a local road that I travel on a lot, when I noticed a really nice thatched cottage, really clean with chickens outside. it really looked like something from an old irish postcard. I almost stopped to take a photo it was that impressive, and I'd never noticed it before. Unfortunately I drove on.

Back at work, I mentioned this cottage and said I never noticed it before. Most of my work colleagues also know the road and all of them disagreed with me, saying there was an old cottage there alright, but not a renovated one. Obviously I argued the point and decided there and then I'd go back out the road and have another look.

There was no new renovated cottage - like the one I'd seen less than an hour before. There was a dilapidated, broken down one instead. I have no explanation for that. Same road, same place, but very different looking cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

maccored...I've sent you a pm

got that mrs.doubt.fire - thank you!

Advertisement