Irish Navy ... any info - Page 35 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2012, 22:18   #511
goldie fish
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Memories View Post
Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...
Many have.
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 23:49   #512
Poccington
Closed Account

Quote:
Surely some navy personnel went on to join the ARW, and I'd imagine that takes a fairly high level of fitness...
Many have, which is why I asked the question about Selection.
07-04-2012, 08:39   #513
Brian Clowen

Anyone who cant find the will to keep and maintain personal discipline and fitness onboard a Naval Vessel is NEVER going to pass selection.

You do not have to be superman fit to pass selection, you just have to want it more than anything else in your life.

"He who has a why, can endure any how!"

It has been a good few years since the last Naval Service Member had sucess in been tabbed a Ranger,
on a brighter note Ordinary Rates are once again been allowed to attempted the Naval Divers Course which is incredibly hard on the body and mind, if you can train for and then pass the divers course you just might have a shot at the wing.
07-04-2012, 10:55   #514
goldie fish
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Clowen View Post
Anyone who cant find the will to keep and maintain personal discipline and fitness onboard a Naval Vessel is NEVER going to pass selection.

You do not have to be superman fit to pass selection, you just have to want it more than anything else in your life.

"He who has a why, can endure any how!"

It has been a good few years since the last Naval Service Member had sucess in been tabbed a Ranger,
on a brighter note Ordinary Rates are once again been allowed to attempted the Naval Divers Course which is incredibly hard on the body and mind, if you can train for and then pass ARW selection you just might have a shot at the divers course.
Fixed
08-04-2012, 14:18   #515
Salvation
Closed Account

Quote:
The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW, as most men find it a way to get out of the sh1thole that is haulbowline.

I spent many years down there as a seaman, could'nt get a transfer out of that sess pit, I would advise anyone considering it not to go down.

The Navy is a undisiplined drinking session and a disgrace, I lost one friend who was murdered in the Navy in 2001 again drink.

Stick to the army or air corp and leave that dump for the locals as it suits them
Advertisement
08-04-2012, 19:15   #516
Maybe_Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvation View Post
The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW
Are you serious?

Also, while on the topic of using the wing as an escape from a previous DF role, is there a limited amount of time you in stay in the ARW?
08-04-2012, 21:14   #517
goldie fish
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvation View Post
The Navy actively block all applications to the ARW, as most men find it a way to get out of the sh1thole that is haulbowline.

I spent many years down there as a seaman, could'nt get a transfer out of that sess pit, I would advise anyone considering it not to go down.

The Navy is a undisiplined drinking session and a disgrace, I lost one friend who was murdered in the Navy in 2001 again drink.

Stick to the army or air corp and leave that dump for the locals as it suits them
When did you drop out? I'm guessing mid 90s? You wouldn't recognise the place now, to be fair. New management has wiped out the drinking culture. They all ran for the hills when the new flag took over.
09-04-2012, 10:39   #518
Brian Clowen

Quote:

The Naval Service can no longer block anyone from going to the wing, if you pass selection your gone simply as. Keep your noise clean and pass selection on your first go and be gone before they realise that your not one of the many ill perpared who go to selection each year and are back in 24hrs.

The young man that we lost was also a very close friend of mine so I take it we know each other and we both miss our buddy very much. the scumbag who murdered him was a nutter who attacked a guy who was unabled to defend himself. I dont want to say anything else about this so as not to cause offence to brians family.

I will be 100% honest here the drinking culture is not what it was back in the 00's, it can flare up here and there but it is on the way out.

The Naval Service is not a dump, if you can apply yourself you can have a good career, it is changing every day and it has come a longway and it has a good bit still to travel.

Our biggest problem is still retention, yound guys just arent willing to do the seatime so they leave, making it harder for the guys that are left, which in turn makes them leave.

Its a problem that can only be solved by fresh blood, 120 new body over the next 12 mths will help.
Thanks from:
10-04-2012, 22:42   #519
Salvation
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie fish View Post
When did you drop out? I'm guessing mid 90s? You wouldn't recognise the place now, to be fair. New management has wiped out the drinking culture. They all ran for the hills when the new flag took over.
I finished shortly after my friend got murdered so around 2002.

Since I could not get approved to go for selection (3 times applied) I simply left and rejoined the army.

I have'nt been back there since and dont intend too but yes 10 years is a long time for change.

Also the question about the wing, you can stay in the wing as long as you want as long as you can hack it with the rest, getting in is easier than staying in.
Advertisement
14-05-2012, 01:49   #520
Emmett 2012

Hi guys,

I'm new to this but i have also applied for the Irish Navy. Myself and 2 friends hope to travel down to Cork from Derry to do out PT test soon.

I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on what the navy is like, Money, Lifestyle, Day to Day duties.

I come from a studying sports background will this be of any use or relevance?

Also is this Psychometric test gonna be as hard as i think?

Thanks guys!
22-05-2012, 01:30   #521
bandybanter

Check out these online vids for day to day life in the Naval Service. Fairly insightful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxKC...feature=relmfu
22-05-2012, 10:30   #522
ruserious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandybanter View Post
Check out these online vids for day to day life in the Naval Service. Fairly insightful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxKC...feature=relmfu

I dunno if the set up situations depicted were ''day to day life''
22-05-2012, 13:25   #523
bandybanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
I dunno if the set up situations depicted were ''day to day life''
Why does there always have to be a pedantic of semantics in every thread. If you watch all three online episodes you will indeed see various tasks that naval personnel carry out on a day to day basis. I posted this video for people who are applying to join the naval service not for trolls.
22-05-2012, 17:28   #524
ruserious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandybanter View Post
Why does there always have to be a pedantic of semantics in every thread. If you watch all three online episodes you will indeed see various tasks that naval personnel carry out on a day to day basis. I posted this video for people who are applying to join the naval service not for trolls.
I'm far from a troll in this regard. I know well what life at sea is like. I was saying that some of the scenes in the documentary were staged.
22-05-2012, 20:30   #525
bandybanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
I'm far from a troll in this regard. I know well what life at sea is like. I was saying that some of the scenes in the documentary were staged.
Of course, it's obvious that some of the scenes were staged; however it gives a clearer idea to applicants of what's involved than just them imagining what life would be like at sea.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion