Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-05-2010, 04:10   #16
ROTTING CHRIST

Ah come on now, there's a difference between consuming your own sweat, hair, spit, etc than a complete strangers.
Advertisement
12-05-2010, 04:11   #17
ROTTING CHRIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurching View Post
Which is the exact same in just about every restaurant in the world.
I just said I don't eat in restaurants, not for this reason though but now I'd be even more weary if this is standard practice.
12-05-2010, 04:15   #18
Lurching

I still don't see the issue. People aren't dieing on the way out the door of restaurants every day due to the odd hair in their food. Otherwise, what you dont know, cant hurt you.
However, that doesn't condone some of the incredible hygiene breaches happening in some restaurants due to rodent and insect infestations etc.
12-05-2010, 04:15   #19
Irish_wolf

I work in a fast food place and the second we get a break in customers I have to clean down all of the surfaces and clean my hands, replace the cloths, mop the floors, clean my hands again etc. My manager went ballistic at a fellow crew member the other day cause he scratched his nose while working on the tills, she was nearly calling the head office.

Obviously it's impossible to get rid of all germs but we do try. The food you get in a fast food place will probably have as many or perhaps less germs than what you cook at home unless you have ocd or something.
12-05-2010, 04:19   #20
ROTTING CHRIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_wolf View Post
Obviously it's impossible to get rid of all germs but we do try. The food you get in a fast food place will probably have as many or perhaps less germs than what you cook at home unless you have ocd or something.
I find that unlikely, at home you can peel or wash fruit, vegetables, grain, etc yourself as most people would do and then prepare them. nothing OCD about that.
Advertisement
12-05-2010, 04:20   #21
m@cc@

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTING CHRIST View Post
Ah come on now, there's a difference between consuming your own sweat, hair, spit, etc than a complete strangers.
Well if that keeps you up at night, think about a loaf of bread, a packet of crisps or a pre-packaged salad. How can you guarantee who or what has handled it? You can't. Unless you're producing the food from the cradle to the grave, you can't guarantee anything. That's life, move on.
12-05-2010, 04:21   #22
Xavi6
PFJ4LYFE

OP, do you own a Spruce Moose by any chance?

12-05-2010, 04:26   #23
ROTTING CHRIST

Get in the plane ! but sir...
12-05-2010, 04:30   #24
Irish_wolf

Quote:
I find that unlikely, at home you can peel or wash fruit, vegetables, grain, etc yourself as most people would do and then prepare them. nothing OCD about that.
I was refering really to the area in which it's perpared. Your chopping boards and counter tops and cutlery are probably not cleaned down as often as they are in fast food places (well good ones anyway). Germs are everywhere. I doubt you go to the bathroom and clean your hand every 30minutes whether they are dirty or not.

And also if I was preparing fruit or grains or whatever i would wash it and peel it. The same preparation goes on in restaurants as it does in the home. We're not a bunch of slobs firing out half cooked meat and unwashed veg without a care as many people seem to think.

Therefore it is easy to assume that there is the same amount of germs or maybe less are in the food you eat out in restaurants unless you have to clean the place as often as I have to, every 25minutes or so, which would be ocd behaviour in my unprofessional opinion.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-05-2010, 04:37   #25
dolanbaker

Would the OP prefer it if the pizza cook was like this!
Thanks from:
12-05-2010, 05:01   #26
happyoutscan

Quote:
It might kill harmful bacteria, but it doesn't get rid of anything like fingernails, snots, hair, sweat, or god knows what else is on their hands.
I'd be more grossed out over saliva, but then again I couldn't be arsed.
12-05-2010, 06:08   #27
dazed+confused

In McDonalds they teach staff that clean hands are better than gloves. Staff have to wash their hands at least every 30min. People wearing gloves in Deli's often wear them for hours, by which time they've picked up as much grime and bacteria as unwashed hands would have in that time.

I know cleanliness is important, but people freak out about it way too much. So eat the odd blackberry straight off the bramble and let kids get as dirty as they want, its what being a kid is all about!
(3) thanks from:
12-05-2010, 06:12   #28
ball

Surely if they used gloves, the dough would taste like latex?
Thanks from:
12-05-2010, 06:15   #29
Snowie
Closed Account

Quote:
I was in Dominos with a friend tonight, usually never eat fast food as I'm allergic to eggs and some other foods so have to be careful. Anyway you could see where they were preparing the pizza and to my horror the guy was rolling the dough, spreading the toppings etc with his bare hands!! I asked my friend and he said that's the same in all dominos?? He could have anything on his hands! Wiped his nose, etc.

Does anyone find this disgusting? And is this normal, like does it go on in apache, four star, etc also?

Im not really sure where to start, have you ever eatin in this thing called restuarunts ? well chefs handel food they dont wear rubber gloves....
If you go to forighn countrys they all make pizzas bare handed you have to same with any food. wear ing the rubber gloves are< dangerous, annoying....

No I dont find it dissgusting becaus eif hes following the H&S and hicap or how ever you pronounce it guide lines trhen there little chance of anyhting happening..

Oh bye the way you should get cheacked for OCD and make sure you also get your imune system cheacked cleerly you never ate wroms as a kid
12-05-2010, 06:18   #30
Snowie
Closed Account

Quote:
I know cooking the food kills the germs but seeing some teenager practically maul the dough with his bare hands that I would then be eating was horrible.

what would you like him to do play a small violine at it while singing love poems in the hope that the ball of doh turns into a pizza base. ?

I bet your one of these really really really neet people. concerened I am
Thanks from:
Thread Closed