can doctors test be wrong? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2010, 17:52   #16
anothernight

I don't know if the tests are better now, but 19 years ago my mum's test, done by her doctor, came back negative. 9 months later I was born...

Congratulations though
Advertisement
29-04-2010, 17:55   #17
new2010

thankfully I am not on any drugs, the docs was obviously less sensitive.. but she told me to " go home and keeping trying" and winked at me! it never entered her head that I was just a bit early for her type of test.
I did a third today there now ( different brand - just to be sure) and it is positive..

I will ask for a blood test tmw.. its just more waiting☺☺
thanks again!
29-04-2010, 22:40   #18
AmcD

Just about the blood test (hcg): you are probably better off just getting your GP to do another urinary pregnancy test in a few days time (even just 48hours later using an early morning urine specimen). The blood tests can sometimes take a ridiculous amount of time to come back. The last one I ordered for a patient took three weeks to come back. The standard issue HSE pregnancy tests are supposed to turn positive at 25 units hcg. The tests available in pharmacies can certainly be more sensitive.
Also, locally in the Rotunda, they won't accept walk-in patients for blood tests, unless the blood tests are ordered by a hospital doctor.

Last edited by AmcD; 29-04-2010 at 22:45.
30-04-2010, 08:45   #19
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
I wouldn't bother with the blood tests if I were you! You're pregnant. Three positive home pregnancy tests cannot be wrong. Just go back to the doctor in a couple of days and request another test, but bring a sample from your first wee of the day, it's more concentrated than the rest, so will pick up Hcg levels better.

Don't know why the doc would bother with more tests if you bring the tests with you, most just take your word. Although my doctor did even though I presented him with 7 positive tests.

Congratulations!
30-04-2010, 12:12   #20
new2010

It's confirmed! I went to a different doctor ( in the same clinic) he confirmed it! Yay!

thanks all for the positive comments, it helped when the first doc ruined my joy! xxx
Advertisement
30-04-2010, 12:26   #21
Swizzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2010 View Post
It's confirmed! I went to a different doctor ( in the same clinic) he confirmed it! Yay!

thanks all for the positive comments, it helped when the first doc ruined my joy! xxx

Congrats and welcome to the club
03-05-2010, 20:06   #22
Nevyn
Closed Account

congrtulations new2010, hope your pregnancy goes well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion