Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A few underwater photos from Carraroe, Co. Galway...

Options
  • 12-04-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

We need more underwater photographers on here! Here's a few shots from yesterday off the coral beach in Carraroe, Co. Galway. First time diving with the newly acquired Canon G10, very happy with the results so far.

4514221927_5bfa6913f3.jpg

4514856468_2ba6c6f942.jpg

4514228623_4f8db83401.jpg

4514874086_8984da489c.jpg

4514231075_785717d6cd.jpg

4514855534_d58ec8e8ca.jpg

C&C Welcome....

Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wow! I'd love to do this! Great shots

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I like 'em.

One question -- with underwater photography, what do you have to do about light? What kind of adjustments would you have to make for being down there, if any?

I can see from the EXIF that you used the flash -- I've got the G9 myself, and find the flash to be a bit harsh in most cases (as you'll get with a pop-up/built-in). That said, I've never used it underwater! Does the water diffuse the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Nice Shots...Very Clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Great shots!

Do you dive anywhere else in Carraroe - or is the Doilin beach the best you have seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    One question -- with underwater photography, what do you have to do about light? What kind of adjustments would you have to make for being down there, if any?

I can see from the EXIF that you used the flash -- I've got the G9 myself, and find the flash to be a bit harsh in most cases (as you'll get with a pop-up/built-in). That said, I've never used it underwater! Does the water diffuse the light?

Well when underwater everything is moving, including you... so you need a fast shutter speed to prevent motion blur. I'd use a minimum of 1/100sec.

The problem then is you need more light, and that reduces with depth too. So for all the shots above, apart from the diver ones, they are lit practically entirely by flash. I used 1/500sec and iso80 for most of them which would have come out very very dark without flash.

The flash on the G10 is harsh, but it's diffused by the large diffuser on the housing. This has two purposes - without it, the housing lens actually casts a shadow across the image and it also cuts down on scatter-back. By diffusing the light out different directions it prevents direct harsh reflections back from small particles in the water. Ideally you'd use a strobe on an arm for this!

350__2_b51dda2c5f9d0592d04bcea7f1674660.jpg

For the diver one they were too far away to use the flash as a lot of scatter-back would be highlighted between them and the camera. So I upped the iso and lowered the shutter speed to the point of just about preventing motion blur. That shot isn't great, but good starting point for the next dive! ;)

• Advertisement

Keedowah wrote: »
    Do you dive anywhere else in Carraroe - or is the Doilin beach the best you have seen?

I haven't, Doilin beach is very handy for parking up, getting in and out. If there is somewhere else you'd recommend I'm all ears! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Who thinks foto-joe should arrange a underwater meet up? :pac:

I'd love to! Who dives and has UW camera?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

foto joe wrote: »
    I'd love to! Who dives and has UW camera?!

me.... but only just got my PADI qualification - so not uber confident/good underwater.

have a 5D and underwater housing and strobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Great shots, I am in the process of gathering a collection of underwater shots, I am off to Malaysia soon so I am sure I will get some cracking shots on my dives, I will post some here when I sort them all out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I had my first dive with my new Powershot D10 back in December:

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=306

it's a great wee cam, although I wish I could have RAW output- the noise reduction is a bit muddy. I mostly use it when I'm out kayaking, although it's good to 10 meters, which is good enough for a shallow dive (which is where most of the light is, anyway :) )

Edit : it also has an 'underwater' white balance feature so it mostly cancels out the tint present when you dive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

How cool are these! Well done, they're fantastic! I love the second one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Bokeh! Where the hell's your fifty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'd love to get into it, been diving since the eighties but have missed out a lot in the past 3/4 years.
    This is one that a friend took in Lanzarote @ 32metres(ish) with the camera he got from Aldi/Lidl for less than €100 !!!! Obviously not a patch on the likes of the G10 etc but perfect for snapshots - probably could be improved with practice as well. This was his first time using it and he hasn't got a clue about photography. A good cheap way to start though!!

3929426907_15fff53f65.jpg

...the camera he got from Aldi/Lidl for less than €100 !!!! .....

.....A good cheap way to start though!!

I'd highly recommend looking out for housing for some of the older Canon Powershot cameras, they've full manual control and give great photos for the price. My previous camera (Canon Powershot A570is) I got for €40 on eBay and the housing for €40 on adverts.ie . So €80 setup and it took these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36224551@N04/sets/72157623196281395/detail/

Well worth the €80 as this shot won me a dive computer worth around €750 about a month ago!! :eek: I got the G10 and housing seperately both second hand too, so there are bargains to be had, keep an eye out!

4319638492_532c7bff66.jpg

Fenster wrote: »
    Bokeh! Where the hell's your fifty?

Come again... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

what kinda depths have you taken the G10? Is there a maximum depth?

I was looking at joining the local Subaqua club but in these unemployed times I can't afford it. :(

The housing is rated to 40m, these shots were taken at about 7m though - more light! I hope to take it diving in Killary soon, down to about 20m, set up on a tripod and get a long'ish exposure of a trawler wreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

that sounds so strange to be setting up a tripod underwater for a long exposure. Although I suppose without bringing pro gear down there that's your only option

I picked up a second hand tripod for less than a tenner so not going to be messing up great gear with salt water! Few weights on the legs... should do the job! :p

• Advertisement

A few others from the same dive site in Galway;

4554977966_9a5486ceb1.jpg

4535488660_f75aa67caa.jpg

4535481986_0f9c5e9a22.jpg

4534848953_07c29aa627.jpg

4534847571_0589117964.jpg

4534847087_2c6bab8611.jpg

4534826293_f12ed23848.jpg

4534824829_b7b75f86c2.jpg

4535462542_ce1a3a16db.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

stunning pictures:) must get out there sometime too, if ye are organising a meetup let us know:)

Do you dive breadbin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Or find a shallow well lit rock pool if your housing hasn't arrived yet...

1893EA1CA7914814BA1472D150FB7122-500.jpg

foto joe wrote: »
    Do you dive breadbin?

ha not yet;) its like another planet down there though so i think i will start over the summer. im no stranger to the sea though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'd be up for a dive sometime .... newly qualified, would need to rent gear but would be well up for an underwater photoshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 agentreid

very nice shots, you should try some diving in kilkee,co clare, great diving,my buddy does a lot of underwater photography and has got some great photos from there, even when he uses me as a model they come out amazing.

I've never dived Kilkee, dived Fanore without the camera and bridges of ross. Has your buddy their photos online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 agentreid

he had some on the kilkee dive centre web site, check it out they may be still on it. his best ones are framed and hanging on his wall though.

• Advertisement

these pictures are stunning and sort of piqued my interest. I have an Olympus 8080 that i don't really use so thought i'd get a housing for it. Thnk again!! they literally cost more than the camera. might have a look for an old canon like a previous poster suggests:)

Advertisement