Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2010, 22:01   #31
thenobody

@lil_lisa

is that SD in Kildare/SD where i think it is?? Where i might be? Where you have may felt the earthquake a week and half ago?
Advertisement
14-04-2010, 22:05   #32
lil_lisa

Strange question but, well if the chances are I get it, I'd like to be as ready in advance as possible and I'm not living in Ireland at the moment so its difficult but you don't happen to have a link or number of the forms used for the process?

Oh dude, the earthquake was crazy. I was up near Carlsbad when it happened, glad I wasn't at home downtown. Felt another one last week in work. What's gonna happen next!
14-04-2010, 22:12   #33
thenobody

Yeah it was mad alright. Was in our 6th floor apartment in Mission Valley. Didnt know what was going for a while but had to run and save the tv from tumbling over to the floor. Has been a few aftershocks. Quite fun actually.

Forms that are included to be completed are DS230 (part I and II) and DSP122

Thats some great memory I have

You can process it from here if you are on another visa. You specify this on the forms the address in the US for the greencard to be sent to and where you want to do the interview. US Embassy Dublin would be for most.
There is more hassle to doing it in the states (AOS is the term used) though than going back from the interview in dublin.

Last edited by thenobody; 14-04-2010 at 22:16.
Thanks from:
14-04-2010, 22:13   #34
lil_lisa

Thank you!

Don't want to go off topic but if you're planning any Padres games this season, let me know, maybe go for a drink or something!
14-04-2010, 22:22   #35
lil_lisa

Came across this article, seems to cover everything:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3190.html
Advertisement
14-04-2010, 22:27   #36
MossNyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenobody View Post
Yeah it was mad alright. Was in our 6th floor apartment in Mission Valley. Didnt know what was going for a while but had to run and save the tv from tumbling over to the floor. Has been a few aftershocks. Quite fun actually.

Forms that are included to be completed are DS230 (part I and II) and DSP122

Thats some great memory I have

You can process it from here if you are on another visa. You specify this on the forms the address in the US for the greencard to be sent to and where you want to do the interview. US Embassy Dublin would be for most.
There is more hassle to doing it in the states (AOS is the term used) though than going back from the interview in dublin.
Yeah i was living here legally on a h1b and could have done the change of status to a greencard but a buddy of mine who is an immigration attorney told me not to be a tool and bite the bullet and go home and do the interview there. More straightforward and less waiting. But if you are living legally in the US and get picked in the green card lottery it is possible to just change your status to a green card. its one of the options you have when you receive the notice letter.
14-04-2010, 22:29   #37
thenobody

Yeah sure. meant to go to mondays game but the chance of rain scared some off. Dont know much about baseball at the moment. Went to a chargers game last year. Most boring load of crap sport have ever seen.

Seems to have most of the info but the minor details will catch you out but the 1st post covers it well.

Btw, if it comes to it you will need police certs from every country you lived in and they must be within 6 months at the time of the interview. This can be worrysome and an issue for some. You need to time these things well and your case number will give an idea of when the interview will be. I had only Ireland and still took a while. Its slower when trying to get it from other countries when you arent there.
You will need bank statements going back a few months too - so they can see you didnt just dump money in the week before as you have to have enough money saved to be above the poverty line - think this is around $14.5K for a single person.
Or an affidavit of support from a US person (very very intrusive forms to fill out and not something to ask someone lightly about).
Or a job offer letter.
14-04-2010, 22:31   #38
lil_lisa

Yeah I think I'd rather go home and do it if I had to, but I don't want to be sitting idle for two months at a time and leave my job here, try and do as much here and then go back...

...IF I get it of course! But you gotta keep everything in mind!
14-04-2010, 22:35   #39
thenobody

Youll need to do the medical as well though when you are back (blackrock clinic i think is the main place). So you will also need to factor in about a week and a half to get the results of that and then the interview so dont want to cut it too tight.
Anyway, you need the letter first!!!
Mine was dated April 18th received around May 25th. So keep checking .......
Advertisement
14-04-2010, 22:36   #40
lil_lisa

Yeah I was reading all that, so between being told that you won this lotto (again IF) and the actual interview can be between 4 months to a year later?

Moss, did you have to get a police cert from the US? It states:

Quote:
Note: Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.
14-04-2010, 22:42   #41
thenobody

Interview can be in September (case #0000001) and ends in July the following year.
For your reference case number around 18500 will mean an interview after the end of March.
14-04-2010, 22:48   #42
MossNyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_lisa View Post
Yeah I was reading all that, so between being told that you won this lotto (again IF) and the actual interview can be between 4 months to a year later?

Moss, did you have to get a police cert from the US? It states:
Yeah i got the one from New York , its called a good conduct check. They just fingerprint you and give you a letter saying you never have been arrested. I brought it to the interview but she said i didnt need it as they would be able to see if i had a record. The irish one is easy to get ( especially if you know the actual Garda in your village or town) but can take a bit of time to come.

Personally if you need it quickly id go to a local councillor or td and ask them to speed up the process. They would be able to help you
18-04-2010, 17:15   #43
rosh1

green card lottery

Hello

I won a Green card through the Diversity Lottery and i have to be in the US by the end of September 2010. I went through the same interview procedures as MossNyc. I did not like the impersonal glass screen and speaking through a microphone. They just asked for various documents but asked no questions. I was expecting an intensive interview but it was nothing like I was expecting.

I have never been to the US and i am not sure whether to go or not. I do not know anybody there except for some relations I have never seen.

I really do want to go but I am worried about the job situation. I have some savings but worried about wasting it if I cannot get a job in US.
In Ireland I am a qualified civil engineer and worked as a site engineer on residential projects. But I hear construction is very bad in US at the moment and I may not be able to find a good job. I may have to start from scratch as a graduate and some of them work for free initially.

I am a hard worker and would be prepared to do labouring, supermarket work, fast food outlets etc initially to get started But with employment so high in the US are even these sort of jobs available.

I hear a lot of doom and gloom but what is the real situation on the ground?
Are basic jobs available labouring, fast food outlets, hotel work etc.
Is construction really bad? I can do labouring if necessary no problem and semi skilled in a few trades.
What would be the good areas to go to?
is there signs of recovery?

I would appreciate any help.
18-04-2010, 18:49   #44
thenobody

Well done. nice one.

But to be honest it will be extremely tough for you or even anyone coming over.

Firstly, you need to pick some places to start your job search and really the only and best way to search for a job from Ireland and even more so over here is by contacts you know in the industry but sounds like that may be hard for you.

The poxy thing for engineers here is you will have to go for the a PE certification which will take years but before that you need to take the FE exam which is an absolute bastard of one. I just did mine yesterday. So glad it is over and out of the way. I'm an electrical engineer and hated having to learn biology, chemistry, statics, thermodynamics, mechanical and materials, economics etc just for one damn stupid exam. Just hope i pass it now and then it will be onto the PE exam next year.
Anyway to get into a consultancy firm that will have to be your goal.

You should at least activate the greencard and buy yourself more time to decide.

Realistically you would need at least 15k with you and you really should buy health insurance for when you come over until you get a job that gives it (or makes it cheaper) but the jobs you seem to look for wont. It is very expensive.

From what i can see there are few jobs here - well any skilled jobs anyway. And its very difficult to find some because they all just want you to fill out an application on their website and attach the CV and its sent off to a black hole never to be heard from again. There is generally nobody to talk to and it is the exact same for the recruitment companies. They are useless compared to the ones in Ireland.
Not trying to scare but just showing you what ive seen and know. You could find that you get a job easily. I did but person Im with got a two month contract job after nine months looking and it will be back to searching in one month.

But I think Ireland is far more screwed than here.

A job in engineering will give you a higher salary than Ireland. A job laboring will be far far less money than Ireland. So dont give up on your engineering yet or at the start. it is the best way for you do your best over here and you should at least to try to stick with it.

So whats your thoughts and where do you think you would like to go to?

Last edited by thenobody; 18-04-2010 at 18:52.
21-04-2010, 15:50   #45
rosh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenobody View Post
Well done. nice one.

But to be honest it will be extremely tough for you or even anyone coming over.

Firstly, you need to pick some places to start your job search and really the only and best way to search for a job from Ireland and even more so over here is by contacts you know in the industry but sounds like that may be hard for you.

The poxy thing for engineers here is you will have to go for the a PE certification which will take years but before that you need to take the FE exam which is an absolute bastard of one. I just did mine yesterday. So glad it is over and out of the way. I'm an electrical engineer and hated having to learn biology, chemistry, statics, thermodynamics, mechanical and materials, economics etc just for one damn stupid exam. Just hope i pass it now and then it will be onto the PE exam next year.
Anyway to get into a consultancy firm that will have to be your goal.

You should at least activate the greencard and buy yourself more time to decide.

Realistically you would need at least 15k with you and you really should buy health insurance for when you come over until you get a job that gives it (or makes it cheaper) but the jobs you seem to look for wont. It is very expensive.

From what i can see there are few jobs here - well any skilled jobs anyway. And its very difficult to find some because they all just want you to fill out an application on their website and attach the CV and its sent off to a black hole never to be heard from again. There is generally nobody to talk to and it is the exact same for the recruitment companies. They are useless compared to the ones in Ireland.
Not trying to scare but just showing you what ive seen and know. You could find that you get a job easily. I did but person Im with got a two month contract job after nine months looking and it will be back to searching in one month.

But I think Ireland is far more screwed than here.

A job in engineering will give you a higher salary than Ireland. A job laboring will be far far less money than Ireland. So dont give up on your engineering yet or at the start. it is the best way for you do your best over here and you should at least to try to stick with it.

So whats your thoughts and where do you think you would like to go to?
I was thinking about going to the west coast but I would go where ever there is work. Everyone seems to head for the east coast.
I am looking through the internet at the moment to see where the best opportunities would be. The internet is all I have at the moment. the best way to getting a job really is through contacts.

I was thinking if I do not get a job quick enough in the construction side that I could go into an engineers office or architects office and be a draughtmans as I can use Autocad. I might get my foot in the door that way and go from there. I never realised i would have to do more exams. i thought i was finished with exams.

The low wage I would do only to tide me over and not eat into my savings. It would only be a short term option.

I still believe that the US would have better opportunities than Ireland now and the future. Even though they say things are improving in Ireland I don't see Ireland improving in the next few years.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion