moylaragh - cracks - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2010, 16:24   #1
medee

moylaragh - cracks

Hi,

I have a house in moylaragh which i purchased in 2003. Two years ago there seemed to be alot of settlement cracks within the house, usually in corners where walls meet timber and around the door frames. I contacted newlyn and they sent out an engineer to the house who said they were shrinkage cracks. He issued a report on this so i have it in writing.Newlyn agreed to replaster the cracks. However 2 years later the cracks have reappeared. I'm just a bit worried about them, even though they don't appears to be structural. I've heard this has happened in alot of the houses. Then i received the letter from the martello tower residents saying they had the same problems.
Has anyone else come accross these problems? How did you get rid of the cracks in the end? I can't afford to keep replastering every few years.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-03-2010, 16:45   #2
Martron

you could try posting this over in the construction forum as they could supply you with a more permannet solution
22-03-2010, 16:47   #3
medee

i will do thanks, but i just wanted to see if other people are having the same problems within the estate too.
22-03-2010, 22:04   #4
Moylaragh

Hi,

Moylaragh resident here.

I am trying to address the problems with landscaping as you may have seen from the other post.

Regarding the cracks. Yes we seem to have them. We have cracks in the ceiling/door frames etc. Also problems with ventilation. The patio back door is always wet with condensation. I am in the missle of addressing the mould it has caused aroud the door frame.

Its all more money to fix up what wasnt done properly
Thanks from:
23-03-2010, 11:05   #5
Eoineo

You may not remember but the winter of 2003 was very wet. I'm reliably informed that the timber frame houses in Balbriggan were constructed in haste and weren't given enough time to dry out before sealing to the elements. Apparently it can take up to 10 years for the frames to dry out hence the cracks upon cracks.

Your best bet would be to leave them for a while and stop replastering.
Advertisement
25-03-2010, 22:00   #6
Bengy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by medee View Post
Hi,

I have a house in moylaragh which i purchased in 2003. Two years ago there seemed to be alot of settlement cracks within the house, usually in corners where walls meet timber and around the door frames. I contacted newlyn and they sent out an engineer to the house who said they were shrinkage cracks. He issued a report on this so i have it in writing.Newlyn agreed to replaster the cracks. However 2 years later the cracks have reappeared. I'm just a bit worried about them, even though they don't appears to be structural. I've heard this has happened in alot of the houses. Then i received the letter from the martello tower residents saying they had the same problems.
Has anyone else come accross these problems? How did you get rid of the cracks in the end? I can't afford to keep replastering every few years.
Yes I also live in Moylaragh same thing loads of cracks in walls door frames etc.. Homebond told me to contact builder and if i didnt get response to contact them so basically im looking at big ugly cracks every day. Time for a residents commitee in Moylaragh to sort these issues out just like they did in Martello

Last edited by Bengy68; 25-03-2010 at 22:04.
25-03-2010, 22:12   #7
Moonbeam

In Martello things didn't all get sorted either and to get things sorted some people were involved in legal action against the builders.
There is a good residents association though and I am sure they would be happy to meet with yours and discuss issues.
The more people that get back to newlyn with issues the better!
19-04-2010, 20:30   #8
MommaDeuxx

Moylaragh Homes suffering serious structural defects

Hi
I am a resident of Moylaragh in Balbriggan for the last 5 years and our house was brand new when we bought it from Newlyn Developments. We have had serious cracks and plaster falling from our ceilings. The crack are big enough to fit a finger in and in some cases a hand. My stairs are falling away from the walls and the spindles in my banisters fell out. I have 2 children a 3 year old and a 2 year old. This is extremely dangerous and very upsetting . This is our first home. I am in contact with the builders and Homebond at the moment.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problems?

Last edited by MommaDeuxx; 19-04-2010 at 21:30.
19-04-2010, 20:37   #9
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Threads merged

Beasty
Advertisement
05-05-2010, 23:39   #10
focus_mad

Hi Folks

From a Building Surveyors point of view there is the possibility of settlement possibly differential? What is the landscape like in the estate (sorry I'm not familiar with it) plastering over the cracks can be a case of out of sight out of mind which is ok for the short term but long term this will not "repair" it so to speak.

focus_mad
08-05-2010, 23:16   #11
LeoB

What are the floors and kitchen like?

Houses in Rush which were built around that time have Pyrite. Have just found this information
What is pyrite?
Pyrite is a mineral found in the broken stone used as fill under the concrete foundation slabs in house basements. It oxidizes in the presence of moisture and oxygen, causing the stone fill to swell and the foundation slab to lift and crack. The resulting damage can be significant.

The residents in Rush, Tayleurs Point have had to move out of their houses. The main problem was with the floor and when it rained they moved and doors and kitchen press would not close and became lobsided. I sincerley hope this is not what is causing your problems. They are covered by insurance and would your houses not be covered by homebond?
11-05-2010, 15:37   #12
wobblyknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by medee View Post
Hi,

I went to look at some of the very first showhouses in this estate. We very nearly tried to buy the very first big corner house on the left hand side as you pass through the roundabout. The thing that struck me at the time was that there was absolutely nothing else built in the estate at the time. A VERY short time later, loads of completed houses seemed to have been thrown up. I don't think I would be ott in saying this estate in particular was built way too quickly and I'm sure mistakes were made along the way. I'm particularly glad we didn't end up going for a showhouse as I'd say the plaster was barely dry before they were sticking up the 'show' curtains.
11-05-2010, 15:40   #13
wobblyknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoB View Post
What are the floors and kitchen like?

Houses in Rush which were built around that time have Pyrite. Have just found this information
What is pyrite?
Pyrite is a mineral found in the broken stone used as fill under the concrete foundation slabs in house basements. It oxidizes in the presence of moisture and oxygen, causing the stone fill to swell and the foundation slab to lift and crack. The resulting damage can be significant.

The residents in Rush, Tayleurs Point have had to move out of their houses. The main problem was with the floor and when it rained they moved and doors and kitchen press would not close and became lobsided. I sincerley hope this is not what is causing your problems. They are covered by insurance and would your houses not be covered by homebond?
I'd also like to point out that a couple of houses in chieftains have been vacated due to this problem. I hope it's not something that ends up becoming a recurring problem.
Thanks from:
27-01-2011, 19:39   #14
susietwirler

cracks

I think its pyrite, there have been houses confirmed as having pyrite in moylaragh. contact homebond and ask them to send someone out and test for pyrite in your house, send them photos of the cracks if you can. Its a serious problem, the residents are in the process of trying to form a committee t do something about it
28-01-2011, 12:18   #15
cathy01

Hi ya, martello have a great residence association.I know they are having a clean up Martello day on Saturday (at 11 I think) and ask for Dan, hell fill you in or point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion