Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2010, 13:05   #1
UltimateMale
Banned

Wild goats in Ireland ?

Watching Lesser Spotted Ulster last night on UTV, a woman mentioned that she had seen wild goats in her youth in her area ( forget where, Tyrone, Down wherever ).

Has anyone ever seen wild goats in Ireland and if they are any left, are they indigenous or where they ones who just became free of their keepers and developed from there ?
Advertisement
17-03-2010, 13:30   #2
It wasn't me!

There are several herds where I am (west Wicklow). There are some massive numbers around the west and north-west as well. As far as I know, they're all just feral, as opposed to wild goats.
17-03-2010, 13:33   #3
marlin vs

There are two wild herd's in Waterford both can be easily seen, one herd in in Billberry which is the hill on the waterford side of the Suir bridge and is almost in the city, the other is in Passage East on the hill overlooking the village.
http://bilberrygoats.wordpress.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVC_w2ky5tY
17-03-2010, 18:13   #4
SeaFields

Mod: Angling
There's plenty of the in Kerry. I've seen maybe thirty or forty together at a time.

On parts of the ring of Kerry they are on the side of the road.
18-03-2010, 09:01   #5
UltimateMale
Banned

Interesting folks, thanks. There's a lot more wildlife in Ireland to what I thought.
Advertisement
18-03-2010, 09:36   #6
Alun

There's a large herd of feral goats in and around the Glendalough area. They belonged to the miners who inhabited the miners village (I think they kept them just for milk, but possibly also for meat, I don't know) at the end of the upper lake, and were released into the wild when the mines finally closed at the end of the 19th century or thereabouts. They seem to be doing quite well.
18-03-2010, 19:38   #7
UltimateMale
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin vs View Post
There are two wild herd's in Waterford both can be easily seen, one herd in in Billberry which is the hill on the waterford side of the Suir bridge and is almost in the city, the other is in Passage East on the hill overlooking the village.
http://bilberrygoats.wordpress.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVC_w2ky5tY
I see from your link on theBilberry goats that " The 14 acrepiece of land where they graze used to be a commonage but was recentlysold to a developer who wants to build houses on this historic area. Thiswill render the Bilberry Herd extinct. "

Typical, bloody typical. I hope with this developmenthas gone by the wayside as the country has obviously waaaay too many houses anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if this ' developer ' is a Fianna Fail cronie.
19-03-2010, 05:34   #8
Birdnuts

I know of at least two herds - One about 30 strong inhabits land in and around the giant Roadstone quarry on the Wickow/Kildare border just outside Blessington.

The second of about 15 animals lives on a small island in the middle of Carrowmore lake in North Mayo near Belmullet
21-03-2010, 17:32   #9
transit260

There are dozens of ferral goats in munster that are playing havoc with the farm animals there.I witnessed a billy raming his head into the ribcage of a pregnant ewe a few weeks ago.Their eating the grass that the landowners need for the sheep.There are over 70 -80 in one herd and 2 smaller herds of 30+ and 20's.They are there since the sixtys im told and I have been asked to cull them to a managable number,at the moment theres kids all over the place,the farmers are less than pleased.When they get to a number that the land cant accomidate alongside the sheep then I think there will be a cull in the future unfortunately.
Advertisement
21-03-2010, 19:04   #10
Valmont

I remember being on the dart when it hit one on Bray head a few years ago. I would often see the goats and kids scuttling out of the way. I'm pretty sure they are all gone now, whether it was the dart itself or they brought someone in to do it, I don't know.
22-03-2010, 00:10   #11
It wasn't me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transit260 View Post
There are dozens of ferral goats in munster that are playing havoc with the farm animals there.I witnessed a billy raming his head into the ribcage of a pregnant ewe a few weeks ago.Their eating the grass that the landowners need for the sheep.There are over 70 -80 in one herd and 2 smaller herds of 30+ and 20's.They are there since the sixtys im told and I have been asked to cull them to a managable number,at the moment theres kids all over the place,the farmers are less than pleased.When they get to a number that the land cant accomidate alongside the sheep then I think there will be a cull in the future unfortunately.
The herd mentioned near Blessington gets controlled as they damage trees fairly severely. A herd of 70+ would do huge damage, and deplete resources for livestock, as you say.
22-03-2010, 01:34   #12
Valmont

I think they are hunted. I've definitely seen a picture of a dead one on the hunting forum. I guess enough people aren't going out after them if they have to be culled.
22-03-2010, 15:30   #13
It wasn't me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
I think they are hunted. I've definitely seen a picture of a dead one on the hunting forum. I guess enough people aren't going out after them if they have to be culled.
Yep, there's decent meat in them too, according to friends of mine who've shot them.
22-03-2010, 15:57   #14
foxshooter243
Closed Account

theres plenty of feral goats around Donegal too, at times they are culled back in numbers due to problems caused to farmers and livestock, but if you know where to look they are there to be seen.
23-03-2010, 10:39   #15
Zzippy

Mod: Rugby
Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasn't me! View Post
Yep, there's decent meat in them too, according to friends of mine who've shot them.
A colleague occasionaly has to shoot a couple on his land when numbers get too high. Roast goat (not too old) is absolutely delicious mmmmm!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion