Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running tights

• 09-03-2010 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

I have noticed alot of people these days are wearing running tights, so i want to know how many people on here wear running tights.

Do You Wear Running Tights? 77 votes

YES only when i train.
    0% 0 votes
    YES only when i race.
    57% 44 votes
    BOTH
    0% 0 votes
    NEVER just give me a pair of shorts
    23% 18 votes
    Running Tights WTF????
    19% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're missing an option for 'Sometimes, when it's very cold out, and I have to do a slow recovery training run'. That's what I'd choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Bigger question for me is men in capri lenght tights. I got 2 pairs in the Nike sale and due to injury I have not been out running and have only worn them twice, I still am not a 100% sure if I can pull off the look :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

I second Krusty's call for another option as i only wear them on warm up and warm down on cold nights taking them off for speed work, hill work or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

surfjunky wrote: »
    I second Krusty's call for another option as i only wear them on warm up and warm down on cold nights taking them off for speed work, hill work or whatever

Ok Dont know how to edit Polls if one of the mods are could edit it and stick sometimes in where wtf is it would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I only wear mine in winter when it's cold, still hasn't warmed up enough for me to switch back to shorts and I'm usually hardy enough in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've only worn an old pair of RonHills on some very, very, very cold days, through most of the snow though I juststuck with the shorts. I did wear my 2XU's during a couple of the Raheny night races, but that was because t was fricking cold on the bike to get there, not because of the conditions for running.

Other than that it's only in the privacy of my own home that I put on the compression tights for after a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I only wear them on the bitter cold days also,but i do like to have short tights under my regular shorts.
    I have 3 pairs of shorts that have them built in....i always wear them on runs of 10 and longer (chaffing issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Only on very very very cold days that also have a wind. I got through the snow this year in shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Until late last year I thought anyone running in tights was either a poser or big wussie. However, I splashed out on a pair of Canterbury base layer tights before Christmas and haven't taken them off since (even on a couple of the marginally warmer but chilly in the shade days we've had recently).

It may be coincidence or placebo effect, but I haven't had any shin-splints problems this year yet either so tights get a major thumbs up from me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

+1 ....
    There the mut's nut's in my opinion,
    Have been wearing them for year's, don't leave home without 'em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Tights make cold weather running tolerable. Heading for a run from the office while wearing tights never quite feels right though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ronanmac wrote: »
    Tights make cold weather running tolerable. Heading for a run from the office while wearing tights never quite feels right though :o

+1
    We have a group of smokers who after lunch would be outside, the looks I get when coming back for a run...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've worn them for quite a decent chunk this winter because it's been so damn cold, and I'm a huge wuss about cold weather. I'll wear capris most of the year though, because they're really comfortable and pretty much stop any chafing issues I may have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Can an option 'Tights? HTFU' be added to the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

skins compression tights - love them for my long runs, really help the muscles and leave my legs less tender. wear shorts over them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kennyb3 wrote: »
    wear shorts over them.

You'd run the risk of getting arrested if you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

wear shorts over them
    You mean modesty protectors ? Now that's wussy, real men have something to be proud of down there and want everyone to see our bits, like ladies with fabulous cleavage, they don't cover them up with an Arran sweater.

I always thought that shorts over tights just looks odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Tights under the shorts is THE worst look. Either tights OR shorts-not both.

jinka wrote: »

Seriously, you're not suggesting that tights is a better look? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Damn I look good in tights!!!

Training runs are a great excuse to slip into them in my experience - I mean what better excuse does a married man have??
    Strutting around the shop looking for a bottle of water wearing said tights is another highlight, although it is wise to wear a hi-viz as well so that people you meet understand you're a runner and not a weirdo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

+1

Well i guess its a personal choice and i know what i like and which i think looks better and feels more comfortable. each to their own

If I don't wear shorts over the tights then it will cause a problem with the people behind me as all the wimins will be chasing after me and getting in the other racers way. It's just to make it a fair race for everyone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

This winter in Canada I wore full-length thermal tights (I was going running when it was minus 16).

Now I'm back in Ireland I rock the capris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Got a pair of them Nike capri's for 6 yo-yo's as a xmas pressie to myself after everyone on this forum said how good they were. Still have not worn them in public (in daylight).

dna_leri wrote: »
    Still have not worn them in public.

but you have worn them then - in the bedroom:D sorry couldnt help it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

kennyb3 wrote: »
    but you have worn them then - in the bedroom:D sorry couldnt help it

your not far off the mark, :rolleyes:. there are only so many times you can be laughed at before it affects your confidence :o.

Correction, i did wear them once when running in the woods at night, but that is hardly a public place. I guess I'm just not a tights man.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I've got a pair of the canterbury base layer half tights. They stop the junk going numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

now capris are another level altogether. They should never be worn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

robinph wrote: »
    Seriously, you're not suggesting that tights is a better look? :eek:

Well if you mean ladies tights then wear the shorts over them!
    No, i'm talking about leggings like Ronhill / Nike etc .I'm not talking about a pair ya get from Pennys!!
    Nobody I know wears shorts over tights. It seems that's more a look you would see on some old geezer going for a run around his farm:cool:

Advertisement