Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assignment 32 - Public Transport Portrait

Options
  • 08-03-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ok, I thought I'd take different approach to the challenge for this one. It's something I've been thinking about doing for a little while and thought I'd hold out to try it on here.
    The challenge is more to push peoples boundaries and get them out of their comfort zones to capture an image they would possibly never normally take and hopefully end up with an image they are really pleased about and glad they pushed themselves to take it.

The general rules apply of course:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 6pm 22nd March.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 8th March onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

The special rules for this task are:

*The photo has to be taken on public transport.

*Focal lengths have to be less than 85mm so no photo sniping with telephoto lenses!!! (as most kit lenses/small lenses are generally 18-55mm or 18-70mm or prime lens of 85mm etc....)

*It has to be taken of someone of a different ethnicity than you are if possible.

*IT CANNOT be shot from the hip so you must be looking through the viewfinder/LCD screen when it is shot.

*You cannot ask permission

*They have to be unknown to you

Ok, I can see this one being a bit scary even for myself but that's why I set the challenge.

Here is an example photo, not mine but linked back to where I found it to give you an idea. so get out there and get shooting!

20080429211756_jackonthemetroii800p.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Nightmare! i dont use public transport.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

What's "Public Transport"? :)

Seriously though, this is good. It's definitely different and will put the frighteners on most people (including myself) but what the heck?

I see a lot of DSLR's being left at home and the little discreet P&S coming into it's own.

yeah P&S thats how i will do it.

not sure how tired people on the bus and train are going to react to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Public transport is buses, trains, trams, coaches, tube, underground, metro etc....taxi's wouldn't be included as they are private transport.

I've got the frighteners about it too, although I'm sure once I don't shave, don't wash, wear dirty clothes and look crazy, speak to myself I could take pictures of whoever I wanted on public transport and they'd think I was CRAZY!

I'm pretty sure once you shoot 1 or 2 it'll become easier.

Edit: I'm going all out, D3 and 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4....I don't even own a P&S!

also people who don't generally use public transport will have to make the effort to take part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Seems very similar to assignment #30.
    I'll give it a go if I get the chance, but apart from being on the luas once in a blue moon I haven't been on public transport in 7 years!

• Advertisement

yeah there seems to be a few similar assignments........ if there was only some way to make them more exciting ....... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

'Tis a pity if you live in a rural area, without any public transport.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Public transport is buses, trains, trams, coaches, tube, underground, metro etc....taxi's wouldn't be included as they are private transport.

Airplanes? Shuttle bus from car park to terminal?

(I'm off to Old Trafford next weekend - c'mon you Reds) :)

I didn't think of airplanes tbh. Its people/the public being transported en mass so why not? Shuttle buses are buses so they're all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I think this assignment is too restrictive and not my idea of fun. I don't feel the need to justify my comments other than to say I never use public transport for personal reasons & I certainly would not use it just for the sake of getting a picture.

• Advertisement

I don't think it is restrictive. It's setting guidelines for the challenge so everybody is reading from the same page regarding what and how it is to be shot so everybody is clear about whats expected.

If people don't use public transport that's something beyond my control. Some people might not think it is fun as it is out of their comfort zone, some people may just not like the idea at all.

You could think of using public transport as a "photowalk" except its on public transport instead?

It's suppose to push people and be fun. I'm sorry to anyone who doesn't like and/or isn't comfortable with the theme.

DK32 wrote: »
    I think this assignment is too restrictive and not my idea of fun. I don't feel the need to justify my comments other than to say I never use public transport for personal reasons & I certainly would not use it just for the sake of getting a picture.

I also think it's restrictive and it's certainly not my idea of "fun". I also don't use public transport 'cos I have a car and never need to use it.

However, I'm with pete4130 on this one - it's a challenge to do something you wouldn't normally do. You don't have a lot of time to think about it (2 weeks is not long) so it's just a case of getting out and doing it - or not! You have the option of not taking part in this assignment.

I don't have a P&S so it's the DSLR, probably with the nifty fifty and hopefully I'll have the goolies to take some shots when the time comes. Knowing my luck, I'll run foul of the cops on the train in Manchester and get arrested for phototerrorism :eek:

i do also think it is restrictive same as above i dont use public transport. also i dont think the camera will be well recieved on the train or whatever.and as i have said in the other assignments street photography is not my idea of fun.

but again we have a choice to enter it or not. i think the street photography was taking people out of there comfort zone . this however is a few stages ahead of that as in if people did not feel comfortable in taking street photography they certainly wont feel comfortable taking pictures of people in a confined situation.

but sure we see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I should have ended my post by saying I choose not to participate ;) I am looking forward to seeing the output for those fortunate enough to be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

You get yelled at by the driver or ticket checkers on the LUAS if they think you are taking pictures on the tram. They say LUAS is private property and they don't allow photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

As with any of these assignments it's up to yourself if you want to participate. While I'm not overly comfortable in photographing people on the street let alone on public transport I am going to try and participate - if only because it does push me out of my comfort zone. For those that don't use public transport much and want to participate it's not that much of an ask to hop on a bus for a handful of stops!!!

There are limitations though - as mentioned the Luas is a no go area if there are ticket checkers etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entries on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Ok, I
    *It has to be taken of someone of a different ethnicity than you are if possible.

I have no problem with public transport. But do you pay me a ticket to perform this?

waterways wrote: »
    I have no problem with public transport. But do you pay me a ticket to perform this?

If that's what it takes to make you to shoot some photos then I'd be tempted!

:p

ah i think everyone is running away with the idea of having to buy tickets and what not......

you do not have to do this assignment if you dont want to.

the proposer of any assignment is not liable for any costs incurred while entering the assignment :D

If that's what it takes to make you to shoot some photos then I'd be tempted!

:p

i take my previous post back :D

i will require a 2 week bus and train pass Pete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

ah now personally speaking there are too many restrictions for this task its only my opinion though, and how are you going to imply them? I initially liked the idea when i seen the topic, even though i never be on public transport, but then i read these restrictions. how are they going to be ruled , who's to say what someone on heres race is, and where they come from, just too many restricting things in this one for me, you'd get the crap kicked out of you if you went on a swilly bus (anyone who has been up here will know what that is;)) trying to sneeky photos of someone.

i do look forward to seeing the pictures but with all the restrictions i think it takes the fun out of it, so its not for me:o

P.S. pete you seem to mention Challange a lot, in your OP, i think this is just exactly like a challange not an assignment which were set up to have minimal rules to have maximum input from people, just saying its more an challange rather than an assignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

... you'd get the crap kicked out of you if you went on a swilly bus (anyone who has been up here will know what that is;)) trying to sneeky photos of someone.

He speaketh the truth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gone2themoon

What about the legal aspect of posting peoples pictures online without permission?

If you don't want to participate, then don't. I'm not going to argue with people. I have mentioned challenge as it is a challenging assignment for those who want to participate. It's challenging peoples comfort zones and pushing them to try something new and you never know.....people might find they like it?

Would people be more comfortable taking a picture of someone of their own ethnicity....I certainly would be so it makes the assignment that little bit harder. I understand that some people won't be living in an area with as much ethnic diversity as others so that isn't so strict.

If you want to participate then do, if you choose not to, then don't. It's less than two weeks to wait for the next assignment.

i see where you are coming from pete . But as it was pointed out to me in another thread its an assignment not a challenge. And what i have also learned from that other thread is that if something here does not appeal to the masses it simply wont work. Although you are right to stick to your guns , you wont make people to what they dont want to do. And by choosing a topic like this you have choosen a subject where probably only 20% of the usual posters will like enter it. You might as well say to some people to take a picture of a live zebra thats not in a zoo! I think that when people are choosing topics they need to be considerate to the majority. As many people have said that they do this for fun and by doing this is not their idea of fun. I just think seeing that it is an informal exercise it should be a subject easily attempted by most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Well I'll certainly try to enter this one, I have taken pictures of people on the dart before (never any good ones though) so why not..

Then again the different ethnicity thing is much easier for me as I'm not Irish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Right, might as well start the ball rolling so

IMG_0183.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

seriously, am I the only person who's entering this assignment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

swingking wrote: »
    seriously, am I the only person who's entering this assignment?

Relax the assignment has only been running for 2 days!!!!!

• Advertisement

judging by the objections at the start i would say its going to be lower than usual

Advertisement