Originally Posted by irishhigh
Just wondering if anyone knows of a prayer or novena that works. I'm unemployed for nearly a year now and have been looking and applying for jobs every day. I have been on lots of interviews but have had no luck. Someone said to me pray and it will happen.
Maybe some more practical and pro-active advice that might work...
1. Are you aware of a specific reason why you are an unattractive candidate e.g. you once got caught with your hand in the company tea money? If your references are going to be bad (i.e. a refusal to give a reference), you need to prepare yourself to deal with this. Try to gain some good references, maybe by volunteering somewhere (charity shop, old folk's home, whatever). You can then use these to vouch for your character.
2. Have you got any feedback about why your interviews have been unsuccessful? Any interviewer should be able to highlight specific problem areas. Don't be shy, give them a ring and ask for feedback.
3. Are you applying for jobs you are qualified to do or are you looking at jobs which require direction changes/new skills? If the latter, you will likely be competing against people with more experience and you might expect to need more time to land the job you want.
4. Have you considered doing stuff in the meantime, like a few courses? Anything that improves your CV in any way would be useful, not just now but for the future. What gaps do you have? Computing skills, a language....? Easier said than done but you never know, it might give you the edge you're looking for. Most big libraries will have careers advice centres.
5. Are you walking into job interviews expecting a knockback? Negativity is really easy to detect and if you are sitting with slouched shoulders and a frown, nobody's going to employ you. Or worse, are you going into interviews like they owe you something? Be honest about what attitude you are projecting. Make sure you're smiling and bright, even if inside you are groaning. Try to be positive, tell yourself what a great guy you are before you go in
It seems like you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment but you will get to the end and everything will be fine. Good luck.