Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-02-2010, 18:09   #1
gramlab

Currys TV and warranty

I know this has benn asked before and have looked at some of the old threads but thought I'd post anyway.

40" Sony LCD TV purchased from Currys start of Feb '09. Dead as of last Saturday. Cant find receipt but have credit card statement. Was taped to back of TV but I think one of the kids got hold of it!

Called in today and was nice and polite and got absolutely nowhere. "It's not our problem once it goes over the 12 months" and "call sony as it's not our problem".

On reading threads here I can take it thats not the case?

Should I call sony or just go through small claims. What's the best way to word the application etc
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 18:39   #2
whiterebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramlab View Post
I know this has benn asked before and have looked at some of the old threads but thought I'd post anyway.

40" Sony LCD TV purchased from Currys start of Feb '09. Dead as of last Saturday. Cant find receipt but have credit card statement. Was taped to back of TV but I think one of the kids got hold of it!

Called in today and was nice and polite and got absolutely nowhere. "It's not our problem once it goes over the 12 months" and "call sony as it's not our problem".

On reading threads here I can take it thats not the case?

Should I call sony or just go through small claims. What's the best way to word the application etc
Nothing to do with Sony, its between you and PC World
22-02-2010, 21:31   #3
dudara
Category Moderator

Absolutely nothing to do with Sony, unless you want to pay Sony to have it repaired.

Your contract of purchase is with Curry's. As a consumer, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable amount of time. The definition of "reasonable" depends on the product in question. For a television, that can surely be expected to be more than one year.

Go in, ask to speak to the manager. Outline your expectations to them, and remind them that under consumer law, you are reasonably entitled to a refund, repair or replacement. Let them make an offer and be nice.

If they refuse to budge, remind them that you will give them 10 working days to resolve the issue, or you will be lodging a claim in the Small Claims Court (cheap and easy to do). Back your statement up with a written letter posted via registered post to the manager and Curry's HQ.
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2010, 22:30   #4
gramlab

Spoke to the manager for 10 mins today and got absolutely nowhere. I was as calm and polite as I could be (surprisingly so for me). Spoke to someone behind the pay desk first who sent me off to a lady at the services deak who then went to speak to the manager, came back, went off to the manager again and returned with the manager who turned out to be the woman behind the pay desk who sent me off in the first place!!

Played the only just out of warranty and good will card for a while to no avail, and then quoted consumer rights and claims court but got the not our problem and dont believe everything you read line.
22-02-2010, 22:32   #5
Chonker

You get a 1 year manufacturers warranty. After that you should get an independent engineer to assess the tv to try prove its a manufacture issue as opposed to ?? maybe a power surge issue (It can Happen) or other.

Should you be able to prove that, you should have no problems.

Lets just say your tv suffered a fault due to a power surge, why would you expect your supplier to fix it after one year. Why you you expect a supplier to take the time and effort looking at it when its out of warranty.

Thats why you are better off being armed with facts before you demand anything otherwise you might be very disappointed.

Having said all that best of luck with it, not a nice situation to be in.
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 22:40   #6
Chonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post

Your contract of purchase is with Curry's. As a consumer, you are entitled to expect a product to last a reasonable amount of time. The definition of "reasonable" depends on the product in question. For a television, that can surely be expected to be more than one year..
Agreed! to a point, a tv will last 2 seconds if it encounters a power surge, Im just using power surge as an example of which there are many that could be the fault. You or I have no idea what the TV could have been subject to in its first year of life, dampness, dust you name it, without knowing that how could we suggest " This tv should last more that one year"

I have in the past fixed lcd's and I can tell you that odds are its not a manufacturer fault after that lenght of time.
23-02-2010, 05:57   #7
dudara
Category Moderator

Monkeylicious - you're right, but I'd expect Curry's to offer to send the TV for analysis to determine to cause of failure. They shouldn't be fobbing the OP off like this.
23-02-2010, 10:47   #8
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylicious View Post
Thats why you are better off being armed with facts before you demand anything otherwise you might be very disappointed.
You should re-examine your facts. What if you had the TV 2 days, and it stopped working due to a power surge or some other event, should you pay for the TV to be assessed by an independent technician before returning it to the shop? No, you shouldn't. You bring it back and the shop/manufacturer will assess the TV and determine if it's a manufacturing fault or not. The 1 year manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your rights, and does not supersede or replace your rights, nor do your rights end with the warranty. Whether it's 1 day old, or 1 year and 1 day old is irrelevant, the customers rights and options are the same.

The product stopped working, and it's within the reasonable life of the product, therefore it's the suppliers responsibility to investigate it.
(4) thanks from:
23-02-2010, 11:50   #9
gramlab

Quote:
Agreed! to a point, a tv will last 2 seconds if it encounters a power surge, Im just using power surge as an example of which there are many that could be the fault. You or I have no idea what the TV could have been subject to in its first year of life, dampness, dust you name it, without knowing that how could we suggest " This tv should last more that one year"

I have in the past fixed lcd's and I can tell you that odds are its not a manufacturer fault after that lenght of time.
TV is on a surge protected extension lead. Damp and dust not an issue.
A 900euro Sony TV or any TV for that matter should work for longer than 12 months
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 11:53   #10
gramlab

If going down the small claims route, when I fill out the application should I just detail the facts or should I add anything about consumer rights, sale of goods act etc or is that necessary??
23-02-2010, 12:18   #11
Chonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramlab View Post
TV is on a surge protected extension lead. Damp and dust not an issue.
A 900euro Sony TV or any TV for that matter should work for longer than 12 months

Im sure that is the case unfortunately its pretty hard to prove that to the seller after 12 months. Suppliers and manufacturers will not go to the expense out of warranty to prove that your are right or wrong.

Indeed as suggested in an above post if in warranty they will have to diagnose them self. I wasn't suggesting they would not, just simply saying if they found a fault i.e power surge after 2 days it would be unlikely they would repair even a two day old TV.

Having said all that in my opinion your best bet, if the general manager can or will not help is to try get in touch with an area manager or seek help from somebody in head office before you go down the small claims route. Should you go that route you may end up having to prove its manufacturer fault before the court, depends on the judge and how he feels about the any past issues he has had.

Agreed though a TV should last more than 12 months Im sure more that 95% do. We have only your good word that it was looked after, I believe you but will Sony? My guess is no.

Best of luck
23-02-2010, 12:23   #12
Chonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor el View Post
You should re-examine your facts. What if you had the TV 2 days, and it stopped working due to a power surge or some other event, should you pay for the TV to be assessed by an independent technician before returning it to the shop? No, you shouldn't. You bring it back and the shop/manufacturer will assess the TV and determine if it's a manufacturing fault or not. The 1 year manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your rights, and does not supersede or replace your rights, nor do your rights end with the warranty. Whether it's 1 day old, or 1 year and 1 day old is irrelevant, the customers rights and options are the same.

The product stopped working, and it's within the reasonable life of the product, therefore it's the suppliers responsibility to investigate it.

With the greatest respect, maybe you should re examine my post. I at no time suggested after 2 days they would not diagnose the issue.
23-02-2010, 15:41   #13
Kent Brockman

Would your TV be covered by your house contents insurance ? (just suggesting another possible option)
23-02-2010, 16:35   #14
ch750536

Forget insurance and small claims just for now.

Tell them that under section 10 of the Sales of Goods Act 1980 you consider the TV you purchased not to be of suitable quality for sale as it has developed a fault within the expected life of the unit, which you expect to be 5 years.

If they still refuse ask for the details of who to put this issue in writing to and take the name of the manager of the store that you have spoken to.

Then send a letter stating the same, & that you expect a response within 10 days else you will apply for proceedings with the small claims court.

Do it all nicely and politely and this will be resolved.

eta, your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer, do not go down this route.
Read this very similar thread after a fault 3 years down the line.

Last edited by ch750536; 23-02-2010 at 16:40.
(2) thanks from:
23-02-2010, 17:19   #15
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
With the greatest respect, maybe you should re examine my post. I at no time suggested after 2 days they would not diagnose the issue.
No, and I never said you did. You said that as 1 year had passed, the buyer should get an independent assessor to investigate and determine if there was damage caused. However, the 1 year warranty period is irrelevant, and the buyer has pretty much the same entitlements now as he did when the TV was 1 day old.

If anything, getting a 3rd party to inspect (open up) the TV would invalidate any kind of warranty, and the shop/manufacturer could refuse to deal with the customer, unless this 3rd party were authorised by the manufacturer.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion