Why do African women have big butts? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2010, 12:21   #1
0verblood
Banned

Why do African women have big butts?

I'm looking for a scientific explanation if soembody can help me out. Is it used as a fat/water store? Or did it come about as a result of sexual selection ie. the men just preferred a nice round bum? I'm in Uganda now and I'm just amazed at how many of the women have "ghetto booty" !
Advertisement
17-02-2010, 13:31   #2
Calibos

Pretty sure its sexual selection. In a continent where there has always been hardship, a 'heavy' wife is a sign of wealth. ie. you can afford to feed her well.

Sexual selection would have kicked in here were it not for fake tan. Before the early 18th century, snow white skin was a sign of wealth because it meant you lived a life of leisure and did not have to work in the fields under the Sun. Hence the fashion of faking it with white makeup. Even the blokes. Then with the advent of international travel(pre air travel) where it was fashionable to do grand tours of Europe, the opposite became true. A tan became the sign of wealth because it showed you could afford to travel to sunnier climes. Cheap air travel and fake tan meant the rich had to show their wealth differently. Hence poncy posh gourmet restaurants charging a fortune and Chelsea wagons(SUV's)
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2010, 00:22   #3
Bodhisopha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
Pretty sure its sexual selection. In a continent where there has always been hardship, a 'heavy' wife is a sign of wealth. ie. you can afford to feed her well.

Sexual selection would have kicked in here were it not for fake tan. Before the early 18th century, snow white skin was a sign of wealth because it meant you lived a life of leisure and did not have to work in the fields under the Sun. Hence the fashion of faking it with white makeup. Even the blokes. Then with the advent of international travel(pre air travel) where it was fashionable to do grand tours of Europe, the opposite became true. A tan became the sign of wealth because it showed you could afford to travel to sunnier climes. Cheap air travel and fake tan meant the rich had to show their wealth differently. Hence poncy posh gourmet restaurants charging a fortune and Chelsea wagons(SUV's)
Excuse me if this is a stupid question. But, if ghetto booty is a product of men favouring a heavy wife, how does nature pick up on this to the point of making it prevalent? How does that work?
22-02-2010, 00:26   #4
ScienceNerd
Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisopha View Post
Excuse me if this is a stupid question. But, if ghetto booty is a product of men favouring a heavy wife, how does nature pick up on this to the point of making it prevalent? How does that work?
Fairly simple natural selection. Lets say there are 2 sets of genes coding for ass shape, one for "normal" and one for "large". If the large one is preferred sexually, it is going to have more chance to pass on it's gene, as men will mate with that woman more often, thus leading to more children with the "large ass" gene. As the gene is getting passed on more, it will become more and more prevalent in the society.
22-02-2010, 00:41   #5
Bodhisopha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceNerd View Post
Fairly simple natural selection. Lets say there are 2 sets of genes coding for ass shape, one for "normal" and one for "large". If the large one is preferred sexually, it is going to have more chance to pass on it's gene, as men will mate with that woman more often, thus leading to more children with the "large ass" gene. As the gene is getting passed on more, it will become more and more prevalent in the society.
I guess my question is, how does nature pick up on preferences and trends, what decides "society prefers big asses, so let's go with the big ass gene"?

I can understand there is a design, both genders forms are made to attract the other, but beyond that if society creates it's own preferences, how does nature pick up on this to alter the physical form?

Surely then, every woman in the world should be a stone cold stunner!
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 17:33   #6
taram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisopha View Post
Surely then, every woman in the world should be a stone cold stunner!
We'd bring in more social preferences then, like not attractive man (but rich!) marries attractive woman (who likes money), and of course, humans being what they are will be attracted to people that might not be conventionally attractive, or even attractive to that time period, but could be considered beautiful 200 years later. The genes are still there! Then we have to include drunken one-time sex leading to pregnancy where either or both partners are selecting for 'relatively attractive, into me, let's go' rather than attractivness in their offspring.

Nature will pick up trends for humans in different ways than for other creatures, because we have things like contraception and free will, ie. if I'm "in heat" I won't just allow myself to be mated with To make trends visible (like big butts) you'd need a lot a time for it to become apparent, and a localised population. It's bloody tricky though for the reasons in my first paragraph, this is why I study plants not humans
22-02-2010, 19:03   #7
fontanalis
Banned

African eh? ISn't there more genetic diversity within Africa than outside it?
22-02-2010, 19:09   #8
Jumpy

Fat storage as well, desert survival. We learned this about the Kalahari Bushmen in school a good while back, their women apparently have large backsides.
The guys are tiny and very fast though, natural selection at its finest, hunters are lean and fast, gatherers are storers.
22-02-2010, 20:29   #9
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by taram View Post
To make trends visible (like big butts) you'd need a lot a time for it to become apparent, and a localised population.
Depends on the selective pressure. Elephants have generation times similar to ours and in only a few generations they are shedding their tusks in order to survive. Or rather the ones with tusks are less efficient at passing on their genes because they have been poached for ivory.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/180301.stm

On the other hand even when there is no selective pressure random genetic drift can cause some genes to become more popular on the same basis that if you flip lots of coins sooner or later you will get runs where one side predominates for a while.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 20:35   #10
taram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Depends on the selective pressure. Elephants have generation times similar to ours and in only a few generations they are shedding their tusks in order to survive. Or rather the ones with tusks are less efficient at passing on their genes because they have been poached for ivory.

On the other hand even when there is no selective pressure random genetic drift can cause some genes to become more popular on the same basis that if you flip lots of coins sooner or later you will get runs where one side predominates for a while.
Very true, I always forget other animals have long generation times also. We're not that special
26-03-2010, 13:32   #11
Prof.Badass

Africa is quite a warm place. Caucasians and asians have evolved a more even fat distribution because it helped their ancestors keep warm during cold winters. As a result, in african's a higher proportion of the fat is sent to the special fat storing areas, which coupled with the fact that there is less fat in the other areas makes them look bigger.

It's also why it's harder for caucasians and asians to have arms that look as toned as an african's, regardless of how much they build themselves up (unless they're quite skinny).

Last edited by Prof.Badass; 26-03-2010 at 13:40.
26-03-2010, 13:34   #12
tony231974

Send a message via AIM to tony231974
24-04-2010, 21:01   #13
ligertigon

Might also explain why the indigenous males have a long penis

I mean, before the missionary people arrived.
Thanks from:
25-04-2010, 00:39   #14
ToniTuddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post

Wow!

That is really interesting yet also sad
25-04-2010, 15:47   #15
Frei

Not all African women have "big ghetto booty". Africa is very genetically diverse and body shapes vary widely. The difference between one country and another can be huge.
http://scienceblogs.com/geneticfutur...ican_genet.php

The Khoisan carry the genetic susceptibility of steatopygia. Saartjie Baartman was a woman of this tribe who was exhibited around Europe becuase of her very large bum and began the obsession and stereotyping of all African women as having large bottoms.

Genetics and environment do play a part in body composition but it is complex and can't be explained in a few sentences.The Masai tribe of Kenya for example, are very tall thin slender people, whereas in the Igbo people of Nigeria people are smaller and heavier set.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion