Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-07-2011, 10:34   #1501
Printemps93

Quote:
Originally Posted by starviewadams View Post
Was like that when I started on lithium,
Manic Depression?
Out of curiosity how did the diagnosis come about ? were you misdiagnosed before?
Advertisement
09-07-2011, 13:28   #1502
flutterflye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printemps93 View Post
Manic Depression?
Out of curiosity how did the diagnosis come about ? were you misdiagnosed before?
Just on this, I was diagnosed with bi-polar once by the hse psychiatrists after one 2 hour session.

My gp did not agree with diagnoses, and i got a second and third opinion, and turned out that I did not have bi-polar at all.

I was later found to have ADD which I imagine was being confused for symptoms of bi-polar.

Never take one opinion as fact.
Always question a diagnosis, and get another opinion from another professional.
09-07-2011, 14:28   #1503
starviewadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printemps93 View Post
Manic Depression?
Was on lustral for a month or so and it wasn't working,had a bit of a manic phase and ended up in a+e getting my wrists stitched up,don't remember anything of how it happened.The psych reckoned I was slightly bi-polar because of that incident and because of my family history with bi-polar so switched me onto citalopram and 200mg of lithium to give the citalopram a boost.Am up to 300mg as of last week.
09-07-2011, 16:47   #1504
wobzilla1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobzilla1 View Post
Does anyone know how bad withdrawal from SSRIs is?
I've been on them 3 months but I've decided to stop them because of the side effects. (Although I'm glad all the time I'm unable to feel really happy even when I'm doing things that should make me happy, A lot of the time I feel out of touch and surreal, and the main thing is sexual side effects. I have a new girlfriend and it's really embarassing when you're having sex and can't orgasm. I could be going for ages and be unable to)
Anyway, I stopped taking my tablet 3 days ago and haven't had any really bad effects yet. I'm starting to feel a bit nauseas tonight though, like travel sickness.

Also a warning for anyone on SSRIs: Don't drink alcohol.
I had a few pints one saturday night and on Monday I was in bits.
I got more depressed than I'd ever been before I took the tablets.
I spent the entire day sitting on the floor with my head between my knees

So I completely cut out the tablets 2 weeks ago and had very little side effects (Just some vertigo and tinitus).
Then on Wednesday night I got really depressed. I start taking my tablet again but I'm still getting depressed. I have uniploar disorder but In the last 2 or 3 days I've been having episodes of what I think is mania. I can be really confident and optimistic and next minute I can't look anyone in the eye, I feel really guilty and hate myself. I'm also getting stupidly jealous which I never was before (I get really angry if I see my girlfriend laughing with someone else). A few hours later I can get really cheerful again only to come doen again later.
09-07-2011, 16:58   #1505
troubled but happier

Abroad to get away from ireland

i feel anxious a lot and use various meds and legal substances to help me through the day and weekend, I know this is wrong to self medicate but at least it keeps me stable and relatively happy on my own while trying to stay clear of people and trouble or troublesome people because of my social anxiety and also my drinking issues......but today i feel better than last week and last week and last week better than the previous, i am running from home and running from my prior social life to be by myself and to control my environment more, but it feels like the right thing to do right now, I know I have issues but feel i need to be away from Ireland on my own to reconcile myself with myself.....

Advertisement
09-07-2011, 18:13   #1506
Printemps93

Quote:
Originally Posted by starviewadams View Post
Was on lustral for a month or so and it wasn't working,had a bit of a manic phase and ended up in a+e getting my wrists stitched up,don't remember anything of how it happened.The psych reckoned I was slightly bi-polar because of that incident and because of my family history with bi-polar so switched me onto citalopram and 200mg of lithium to give the citalopram a boost.Am up to 300mg as of last week.
If you find youve been losing friends really easily because of an incredibly irate mood would it be possible that you may have been misdiagnosed as having unipolar depression?
09-07-2011, 21:11   #1507
mareliada

does anyone else find it impossible to find any info on how to manage the part of antidepressant side effect that means a loss of libido/ability to orgasm? i have come across lots of info that says it defo is a side effect, (like we needed to read that to know). amongst many day to day problems of being depressed for almost 20 years now my husband finds this side effect devestating, i try to reassure him but surely there must be some guidance or research out there? anyone? plus we want a baby so we can't keep just coping anymore
i have read that b12 and testosterone treatment can help, does he need to get a blood test from his doctor for this?
09-07-2011, 22:06   #1508
Sardonicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobzilla1 View Post
So I completely cut out the tablets 2 weeks ago and had very little side effects (Just some vertigo and tinitus).
Then on Wednesday night I got really depressed. I start taking my tablet again but I'm still getting depressed. I have uniploar disorder but In the last 2 or 3 days I've been having episodes of what I think is mania. I can be really confident and optimistic and next minute I can't look anyone in the eye, I feel really guilty and hate myself. I'm also getting stupidly jealous which I never was before (I get really angry if I see my girlfriend laughing with someone else). A few hours later I can get really cheerful again only to come doen again later.
Wobzilla, these could be the extreme mood fluctuations I warned you about. Please go and see your GP. It may still be withdrawals even though you have started taking them again (they take a while to work), or your dose may need to be adjusted.

It's safer to let your GP know what is going on with you.

Last edited by Sardonicat; 09-07-2011 at 22:09.
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 02:39   #1509
KnifeWRENCH
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi3 View Post
When i'm with people i wish i was alone and when i'm alone i wish i was with people. Bit all over the place at the moment. One minute i'm ok and the next i'm depressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
I know the feeling, all too well. Part of me wants to live in a bubble while the other wants interaction.
I get that a lot too.
Earlier on I was surrounded by people and couldn't wait to just get home.
Now I'm all alone in my bedroom wishing I had someone to talk to (in person, not just over Facebook or whatever.)

I'm just not happy whatever situation I'm in. I hate that my mind works like that.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2011, 10:16   #1510
Gillo

I find the same thing Knifewrench, I've tried CBT for other things so think it mIght be worth a shot for this, see if I can push myself to interact with other people a bit more. Lol easy to say now, wait until I try doing it but at least if I give it a try I can say I doing something about it.

Thank Christ I got a great sleep last night, seems to be making a bit of a difference, I'm coming off sleeping tablets at the moment so it's generally a frustratingly restless night for me at the moment.
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 14:01   #1511
midlandsmissus

Does anyone ever feel like they weren't meant for this world? Also anyone have suicidal thoughts every single day? Theres a big jump between suicidal thoughts and actually doing it (lack of motivation and hurting those behind stopping me), but still I have them every single day. Any one else like this?
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 14:10   #1512
stupidusername
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlandsmissus View Post
Does anyone ever feel like they weren't meant for this world? Also anyone have suicidal thoughts every single day? Theres a big jump between suicidal thoughts and actually doing it (lack of motivation and hurting those behind stopping me), but still I have them every single day. Any one else like this?
yep all the time. i don't get people, and i can't handle things that happen with them all the time. so yeah i think i'm not meant for the world, the way it is. i've always thought that, and tbh i think one day i may very well do something about it.

i just find it too hard to deal with people, but at the same time i need them, so it's just too difficult to deal with it mentally.
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 14:20   #1513
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
i just find it too hard to deal with people, but at the same time i need them, so it's just too difficult to deal with it mentally.
Exactly, same here. I'm not very good at reading or understanding people. I work in a job which partially involves customer service and I absolutely hate that element of it, I'm not suited to it at all. My dream job would be one which wouldn't involve interaction with people. Driving a train is something I'd love, just you and the open track for a few hours - sure you've the train radio to deal with but I could handle that.

About suicidal thoughts, I have had them. The thing which stops me going through with it is my family and one particular friend of mine. These people are my rock and I'm sure it would devastate them if I went through with it.
10-07-2011, 14:28   #1514
midlandsmissus

Chin up stupidusername and karsini. I can say that because I'm a depressive . What cheers me up sometimes is hey look how far we've made it in this hard life without giving up yet. I'm late twenties so around halfway there, we're not doing too badly.
10-07-2011, 14:31   #1515
Printemps93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
yep all the time. i don't get people, and i can't handle things that happen with them all the time. so yeah i think i'm not meant for the world, the way it is. i've always thought that, and tbh i think one day i may very well do something about it.

Same
Thread Closed