Engineering / teaching maths - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2010, 10:28   #1
clartharlear

Engineering / teaching maths

Call for engineers to retrain as teachers

My frustration leaves me wordless
Advertisement
11-02-2010, 13:06   #2
dambarude

It's a bit much isn't it?

Why don't all the unemployed architects train as DCG teachers and all
the unemployed nurses and physiotherapists retrain as Biology teachers?
Anyone whose profession or degree doesn't fit a subject can be primary teachers!
11-02-2010, 14:39   #3
TheDriver

they are just annoyed and having a hissy fit becasue project maths took all the university business input and haven't taken much from engineers (i.e. vectors etc being phased out) and realised they were asleep for the last few years hence all this crap today.

P.S. Better qualified?? We all have degrees etc, what the hell does that mean??!!!
11-02-2010, 14:45   #4
clartharlear

Maybe I should have been a little clearer about why I am so frustrated.

The Teaching Council of Ireland does not recognise engineering degrees as being suitable for teaching maths.

PS
I have a degree in engineering and a hdip.
11-02-2010, 15:09   #5
pathway33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clartharlear View Post

The Teaching Council of Ireland does not recognise engineering degrees as being suitable for teaching maths.

PS
According to the Teaching Council list of recognised degrees

The honours degree in manufacturing engineering from Bolton Street is recognised to teach maths.

The honours degree in building services engineering from Bolton Street is recognised to teach maths.

The honours degree in mechanical engineering from Bolton Street is recognised to teach maths.

The honours degree in structural engineering from Bolton Street is recognised to teach maths.

The honours degree in electronic/electrical engineering from Bolton Street is recognised to teach maths.

The degree in electronic engineering from the Institute of Technology in Tallaght is recognised to teach maths.

The degrees in engineering from UCC, NUIG, TCD and UCD are recognised to teach maths.
Advertisement
11-02-2010, 17:42   #6
clartharlear

Yeah, that list is lies. I was quite upset by that. When I was in contact with the TC, pointing out that my degree was on that list of recognised degrees, and I'd even emailed the TC before starting the dip to check, this was part of the response:

In any event, it is unlikely that the correspondence stated that the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree was recognised for the purposes of Mathematics regardless of the proportion of the content of the degree in the area of Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.
11-02-2010, 18:11   #7
pathway33

And your degree is still on the recognised list? That's crazy. So you were qualified and now unqualified? Where do you stand now? Where do you stand legally?
11-02-2010, 19:16   #8
rainbowtrout

This was on the Last Word this evening but I only caught the end of it. I did hear Matt Cooper speaking to a maths teacher who did point out all the flaws : degrees that are not recognised for various reasons and of course the lack of jobs in teaching at the moment for current teachers let alone engineers who retrain.
11-02-2010, 19:54   #9
Armelodie

Ah ya shir there's loadsa jobs for maths teachers these days why not give em to the engineers seeing as how nobody else is applying.....idiots

would agree with the calculator ban though..seems that learning the tables are banned in primary schools... (at least rote learning anyhow).

Last edited by Armelodie; 11-02-2010 at 19:58. Reason: spellin
Advertisement
11-02-2010, 21:22   #10
redmons2

You have me worried clartharlear. I will be in the same boat as you if i complete the hdip. I have an engineering degree and i am planning on doing the h dip this year.
Where does that leave you now with the hdip and engineering degree ? Surely it cannot be advertised that the course is accepted on the TC website and allow you to complete the h dip then tell you that you cannot do the job.
11-02-2010, 22:18   #11
clartharlear

I don't know where I stand, I just know that I'm very worried and upset and I have no idea where I can turn.
11-02-2010, 22:20   #12
pathway33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmons2 View Post
You have me worried clartharlear. I will be in the same boat as you if i complete the hdip. I have an engineering degree and i am planning on doing the h dip this year.
You may not be in the same boat if you chose different modules to clartharlear.
11-02-2010, 22:43   #13
clartharlear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway33 View Post
And your degree is still on the recognised list? That's crazy. So you were qualified and now unqualified? Where do you stand now? Where do you stand legally?
That's right.

It is my belief that there is no engineering course in Ireland with 30% of 3rd/4th year courses provided by their university maths department, as opposed to modules within the engineering department.
My course codes began with EE, rather than MA. This is their problem.
11-02-2010, 23:03   #14
geurrp the yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clartharlear View Post

PS
Have you not gone down the legal route? When was it introduced that you needed 30% of degree in that subject in order to teach in that subject? I dont understand why you'd be accepted to do a h-dip in the first place if you werent "qualified" and also why would enginners ireland be making this announcement when no engineering course in the country (that i know) has 30% of the modules on purely based on maths?

Last edited by geurrp the yard; 11-02-2010 at 23:08.
12-02-2010, 11:18   #15
redmons2

I would have taught that if you were allowed into the hdip then your degree has been approved by the teaching council and PAC. So this does not make any sense ? They surely would not be pushing engineers to get into maths teaching if this was the case.

If I was you I would not be letting this go. I just find it hard to believe

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion