Holyhead to Folkestone - Where to stop and stay? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 22:29   #1
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Holyhead to Folkestone - Where to stop and stay?

Im travelling to Folkestone Europort in the UK in a few months and looking for a suggestion for someplace to break up the journey on the way down.

Im arriving in Holyhead and plan on staying in Folkestone on the 2nd night(prior to taking the Train).

Where should I stay the first night?
Beer Baron is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2010, 17:40   #2
Vic_08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Im travelling to Folkestone Europort in the UK in a few months and looking for a suggestion for someplace to break up the journey on the way down.

Im arriving in Holyhead and plan on staying in Folkestone on the 2nd night(prior to taking the Train).

Where should I stay the first night?
Assuming you are travelling by train I don't see any need to break the journey for a night. It takes around 4 hours from Holyhead to Euston by train, (3h40 by direct train) a 5 minute walk from Euston to St. Pancras and 60 minutes by direct High Speed train to Folkestone.

Unless there is somewhere you want to visit I don't see any reason not do do the trip in one day, it would just depend on the times you want to leave/arrive.
Vic_08 is offline  
04-02-2010, 18:28   #3
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Sorry I am driving.

For some reason I assumed that would be a given. Sorry.

The thing is. The Journey is around 5.5 hours from Folkestone to Calais. I was even planning on driving through Central London just for the laugh but then found out I would be driving a petrol car so decided against it(MPG reason's).

I had considered Chester but thought that it was not exactly half way so not the best option.

I also will have a bike on the boot of the car so stopping in Birmingham would not be great unless I could basically VERY SECURELY stow my bike either in my room or some secure area. Then again, do I really want a big city stop. Probably not.

I do want a nice pint and something nice to eat so anywhere will do really other than a motorway service.

Im not against staying in a Travelodge or Premier Inn for that matter so long as there is something to entertain me in the evening.

The following night in Folkestone will just be early to bed, early to rise to get an early Chunnel.
Beer Baron is offline  
04-02-2010, 21:37   #4
phog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Limerick
Posts: 12,584
Berty, I really dont see the need to stop in the Uk at all. I know this was in reverse order but when Munster travelled to Lille for the semi-final against Stade (the one where John O'Neill's try was disallowed ). My return trip started at 07:00 in Lille, from Calais I crossed on fast ferry to Folkstone, headed up through England to Holyhead, fast ferry to Dun Laoghaire and was home in Limerick for midnight.

Cartainly one stop should be enough and depending wheter your going around London by the North or South, if Nth then I'd stay in Beford if Sth I'd head for Oxford.
phog is offline  
04-02-2010, 21:55   #5
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Why not?

Im on holiday's.

You see I could easily get the 8:45 Fast Craft and drive the 6 hours and so to Folkestone, stay overnight and get the early morning train and then travel onwards but I don't want to. I want to stop in the UK, like we did as children, and relax en route.

I have found Coventry newly built travelodge for £19 on that night so that might do nicely.
Beer Baron is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2010, 22:06   #6
Fratton Fred
Registered User
 
Fratton Fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarf Dublin innit
Posts: 21,324
hang on, I'm confused.

you are driving to the Chunnel and taking your car to France?

Holyhead to Folkestone is about a 6 or 7 hour drive so if you want to get an early train, I would head to somewhere like Maidstone or Ashford and stop there.

Le Shuttle takes 35 minutes to get to Calais though, you will be on and off in about 45 minutes.

as an alternative, have you though about getting nightferry from Portsmouth? it leaves about 10pm and arrives about 6am so you can get a good sleep and an early start on your journey the next day
Fratton Fred is offline  
04-02-2010, 22:10   #7
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Im spending 2 nights in the UK.

1st night half way down. Coventry happens to be 1 mile further than half way so that's why I picked it. It was either that or Northampton.

The 2nd night and last night will be spent in Folkestone, probably Premier Inn or the Holiday Inn Express for the early train.

About the ferry. It's more expensive. The tunnel is costing £11 each way and the Ferry is £109 each way.
Beer Baron is offline  
04-02-2010, 22:20   #8
ballsymchugh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,608
jaysis, i never thought i'd hear someone looking for advice on folkestone. i lived in maidstone for longer than i should have. but seriously, i'd go as far as you can on the first day. if it's during the week then i'd say canterbury, it's a nice town with plenty to see walking about, and it's about 20 mins from folkestone. it's easily the nicest town in kent.

maidstone is a hole. please, don't do that to yourself.

also, central london is probably easier to drive through than dublin at the mo. so don't rule that out!!
ballsymchugh is offline  
04-02-2010, 22:28   #9
Fratton Fred
Registered User
 
Fratton Fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarf Dublin innit
Posts: 21,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Im spending 2 nights in the UK.

1st night half way down. Coventry happens to be 1 mile further than half way so that's why I picked it. It was either that or Northampton.

The 2nd night and last night will be spent in Folkestone, probably Premier Inn or the Holiday Inn Express for the early train.

About the ferry. It's more expensive. The tunnel is costing £11 each way and the Ferry is £109 each way.
you might want to head a bit further south than coventry, maybe Warwick which is meant to be nice, or even further still and stay here
Fratton Fred is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2010, 22:48   #10
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsymchugh View Post
jaysis, i never thought i'd hear someone looking for advice on folkestone. i lived in maidstone for longer than i should have. but seriously, i'd go as far as you can on the first day. if it's during the week then i'd say canterbury, it's a nice town with plenty to see walking about, and it's about 20 mins from folkestone. it's easily the nicest town in kent.

maidstone is a hole. please, don't do that to yourself.

also, central london is probably easier to drive through than dublin at the mo. so don't rule that out!!
Probably going to arrive in Folkestone at 9PM and leave on the train at 7am so not think about.

It's the night before and day before I was more concerned about.

I will also be driving through Dublin at 7:00am or so which will be fine.
Beer Baron is offline  
04-02-2010, 22:55   #11
ballsymchugh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,608
actually, i'd agree with fratton, but stay a bit further down the road in oxford. you can't go wrong there! it's about 2.5 hours on to folkestone then max about the m25.
ballsymchugh is offline  
05-02-2010, 18:28   #12
phog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Limerick
Posts: 12,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Why not?

Im on holiday's.

You see I could easily get the 8:45 Fast Craft and drive the 6 hours and so to Folkestone, stay overnight and get the early morning train and then travel onwards but I don't want to. I want to stop in the UK, like we did as children, and relax en route.

I have found Coventry newly built travelodge for £19 on that night so that might do nicely.
You're the master of your own destiny but I think spending two nights in the UK a waste when you're actually heading to the continent for your holiday.

Me, I'd head straight through and overnight in Folkstone or near Calais then onwards to my final destination.

BTW, the price for the tunnel is a great price.
phog is offline  
05-02-2010, 22:43   #13
kindalen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 583
berty could you please let me know where you got that chunnel fare? sounds like a great offer. was it a case of the early bird?
kindalen is offline  
05-02-2010, 23:51   #14
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,297
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by phog View Post
You're the master of your own destiny but I think spending two nights in the UK a waste when you're actually heading to the continent for your holiday.

Me, I'd head straight through and overnight in Folkstone or near Calais then onwards to my final destination.
I will have 12 nights in France so while travelling through the UK I may as well make some time of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindalen View Post
berty could you please let me know where you got that chunnel fare? sounds like a great offer. was it a case of the early bird?
http://www.eurocamp.co.uk

The times I was looking for would have been £138 on the Channel Tunnel website.
Beer Baron is offline  
Thanks from:
06-02-2010, 09:16   #15
robinph
Moderator
 
robinph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: not Cork
Posts: 14,385
Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
The journey is part of the holiday as well so why not drag it out into something relaxed and enjoyable. I would however just drive straight through the UK, but that is because I've seen it all before, but the idea of Oxford sounds a reasonable suggestion so far. Interesting enough place to potter around, and you could certainly make use of your bike to get about as well.
robinph is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet