Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moneybookers PrePaid MasterCard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

Why would you even consider going trough all of that when you can get a Visa Debit from ULSTER BANK with NO annual fee or transaction fee or other kind of usual activities fees (except for buying in foreign currency, which is always a downer because of the exchange rate, isn't it?).
    I've had one for almost a year now, absolutely not one penny has been lost, and i made payments up to 1075 euro. Everything is transparent and clear as day. I did not believe it myself when i made the card, I asked about all the fees, and they don't charge for anything buy.

So, to me all this internet card business seems a bit shoddy and useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

:rolleyes: eh try reading the thread first and you might find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Random wrote: »
    this does not work with playstation network topups or with the irish lotto website.
    this works well with ryanair.

So it still works with Ryanair?

I've been trying to upload funds to book flights for a few days. I've tried to upload with laser card but because I used the gf laser as I have a debit card it has locked my account for uploading funds. It says I have to send money by bank transfer which takes up to 5 days.

The bloody flights in the meantime have gone up over a e100 so if I had paid the charges in the first place i would have been better off. You just can't win!

I have emailed their support and 3 days later emailed me back saying account has been unlocked which was a lie and probably have to wait a further 3 days for another reply

JHet wrote: »
    :rolleyes: eh try reading the thread first and you might find out.

Sorry if i'm a bit slow, I did read the first 4 pages, still can't figure out how this is better than a Visa debit card, which works everywhere in the world, for no annual cost, no transaction fees, no b.s.
    Sorry, can you spell it out for me? What is the main advantage of this over a normal Visa debit card, or PTSB's MasterCard debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

flaviu wrote: »
    Sorry if i'm a bit slow, I did read the first 4 pages, still can't figure out how this is better than a Visa debit card, which works everywhere in the world, for no annual cost, no transaction fees, no b.s.
    Sorry, can you spell it out for me? What is the main advantage of this over a normal Visa debit card, or PTSB's MasterCard debit?

Does Ulster Bank give them out to anybody, or just account holders? Can you apply online?

• Advertisement

they do give them out to everyone, yes! It's DEBIT, there's no other requirements than identification. Why would you apply online?! It's easier to go to a bank write your name and address than post photocopies of your identifications.
    I received my card in about 5 days, took me 5 minutes to sign-up, for both account and card that comes with it. It has free internet banking as well. When i signed up for it didn't, but they implemented that. And everything is totally free. I got the idea to go to Ulster from boards somewhere, just search "debit card" or something. I don't mean to spoil the thread, just to be helpful, like i received wise advice before from boards, i'm just passing it on.

they do give them out to everyone, yes! It's DEBIT, there's no other requirements than identification. Why would you apply online?! It's easier to go to a bank write your name and address than post photocopies of your identifications.

It's not. Not for me.. I'd have to take time off work and drive 5 miles to do that.

Why can't you apply online? To me this would indicate that other aspects of managing the card may also require a branch visit, and for these reasons a Moneybookers card is more attractive to me. €10 p.a. is not a huge fee for that convenience.

Ulster Visa Debit card works for you, and that's great, very happy for you, but thread is about the Moneybookers/Skrill card.

It's only better in one way, you can save the administration fee on Ryanair which is extortionate at €12 return per person.

Since Ryanair may have changed this policy (I have asked a couple of times but people haven't answered) taking its main advantage away a Visa debit is as good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Random wrote: »
    this does not work with playstation network topups or with the irish lotto website.
    this works well with ryanair.

It also doesn't work with iTunes.

I'd still highly recommend it though, it's a very cheap service to use. The free laser card top is an excellent feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

AntiRip wrote: »
    It's only better in one way, you can save the administration fee on Ryanair which is extortionate at €12 return per person.

Since Ryanair may have changed this policy (I have asked a couple of times but people haven't answered) taking its main advantage away a Visa debit is as good

Prepaid mastercard is the only way (outside the UK) to get flights without that admin charge. If you're in the UK, it has to be their own prepaid card.

Moneybookers (or Skrill now?) is cheap at 10e, but their customer services are rubbish! Neteller is free and their customer services are a bit better, but they do stick to a pretty rigid script!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Has anybody had any dificulty using their moneybookers prepaid card with alpharooms.com?

keeps saying my credit card info is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It also doesn't work with iTunes.

I'd still highly recommend it though, it's a very cheap service to use. The free laser card top is an excellent feature.

It works with iTunes if you register it with Clickandbuy.com. It's free too.

I'm using mine with iTunes.

It's a great card but I'll be cancelling mine when BOI roll out the Visa Debit in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Entropay told me today their cards are not being accepted on the Ryanair website. They also said they had contacted Ryanair but had not received a response yet. Bit of a bummer as we only loaded money onto the card yesterday to buy some Ryanair flights.

I also have an as yet used Neteller card. Can anyone confirm the Neteller card is working today before I load it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Has anybody had any dificulty using their moneybookers prepaid card with alpharooms.com?

keeps saying my credit card info is incorrect.

Mine worked the other day with them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Entropay told me today their cards are not being accepted on the Ryanair website. They also said they had contacted Ryanair but had not received a response yet. Bit of a bummer as we only loaded money onto the card yesterday to buy some Ryanair flights.

I also have an as yet used Neteller card. Can anyone confirm the Neteller card is working today before I load it?

I've had trouble with mywirecard prepaid visa on ryanair.. anybody else having this? sometimes it works sometimes it doens't, but didn't work last i tried it :-(

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Mine worked the other day with them fine.

And you selected the mastercard option, entered in your sixteen digit number, expiration date and security code (last three numbers of the back number)
    Name and address.

I wonder does the name need to be in all caps,
    And the address does not have any room for county - did you enter the county or just omit it?

Did you need any other info?

Thanks

Problem solved - Alpharooms were doing a credit check on teh card before it could be used. It worked over the phone. Hopefully It will work now on the site -
    Its a bit of a bargain alert.

Flights accomadation and transfers to Ibizi in May for €250 pp in 1 bed apartment that seems decent enough as per trip advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

I booked a flight with my Neteller card with no problems (and no fees) last week

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Bummer if this is the case - I've been happily using my entropay cards for years now. Booked flights with it about 6 weeks ago. Do you know when his changed?

Yep, Neteller working fine for Ryanair, just booked flights less than 15 mins ago ;)

EDIT: Just to clarify, the actual card works perfectly with Ryanair, the software you can get that generates a different number for online purchases doesn't work!

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    Bummer if this is the case - I've been happily using my entropay cards for years now. Booked flights with it about 6 weeks ago. Do you know when his changed?

No idea. But they did confirm the problem was still there today. They said that Ryanair where not supposed to selectivity block card providers but that's what they where doing. Wouldn't surprise me if RA where trying to force people onto their own credit card.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Yep, Neteller working fine for Ryanair, just booked flights less than 15 mins ago ;)

EDIT: Just to clarify, the actual card works perfectly with Ryanair, the software you can get that generates a different number for online purchases doesn't work!

Great. Is your Neteller card Virtual or plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi Everyone,

let me just say a big thanks to everyone with all the info I could find in this 10 page thread, it answered a lot of question, however I've still a couple unanswered.

1. Once you register for the card itself, how long does it take to get the card by post?
    2. Is it still working with Ryanair?
    3. Anyone using this card with PayPal?

Thanks

Balinov wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

let me just say a big thanks to everyone with all the info I could find in this 10 page thread, it answered a lot of question, however I've still a couple unanswered.

1. Once you register for the card itself, how long does it take to get the card by post?
    2. Is it still working with Ryanair?
    3. Anyone using this card with PayPal?

Thanks

1. A week or so, maybe less.
    2. Don't know, sorry.
    3. Yes. Regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Anyone having problems using this card with netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

1. A week or so, maybe less.
    2. Don't know, sorry.
    3. Yes. Regularly.

2. Yep, works with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭leakyboots

RachaelVO wrote: »

Been reading through this thread with interest. I've been using Entropay for a couple of years but lately trying to judge the exchange rate when transferring money onto it to get Ryanair flights has reduced my saving on the booking fee.

And according to a poster above, Ryanair are now blocking Entropay.

Am I correct in saying moneybookers or neteller are my best bets for a new method of avoiding the Ryanair c/c charges? Seems to be a much of muchness between them?

leakyboots wrote: »
    Been reading through this thread with interest. I've been using Entropay for a couple of years but lately trying to judge the exchange rate when transferring money onto it to get Ryanair flights has reduced my saving on the booking fee.

And according to a poster above, Ryanair are now blocking Entropay.

Am I correct in saying moneybookers or neteller are my best bets for a new method of avoiding the Ryanair c/c charges? Seems to be a much of muchness between them?

To be honest I don't know anything about Entropay, but it does look like moneybookers (10euro for the card) and neteller (free) are the only pre paid cards they are taking, but I don't know for how long. They could introduce their own card to Ireland soon, or other eu countries for that matter, but I think especially for europe they have more hoops to jump through, and they have all sorts of rules on monopolies and connections to companies that could stop them from doing it on the continent!

2. Yep, works with Ryanair

Not for long though, Ryanair at it again

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-launches-cash-passport-in-ireland
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/skys-the-limit-for-costly-fees-with-ryanair-cash-passport-3009902.html
    By Aideen Sheehan Consumer Correspondent

Saturday February 04 2012

CHARGED if you do and charged if you don't. Ryanair yesterday launched a new prepaid cash card and, not surprisingly, it comes with a litany of fees involved in its use.
    The Ryanair Cash Passport prepaid card will be the only way passengers in Ireland can avoid the airline's €6 administration fee on each flight booked from March 1 on.
    Customers use the card by transferring money on to it in advance of making a purchase.
    However, there are a host of costs associated with buying and using -- or not using -- the new card.
    For starters, it costs €10 to buy -- although Ryanair said it would issue each cardholder a €10 travel voucher equivalent to this fee.
    Consumers will then be hit with a €3 charge every time they load money on to the card online, while there is also annual government stamp duty of up to €5 on it.
    Keeping the card for a once-yearly flight purchase is not a cheap option either -- because there's a €3 per month 'inactivity fee' debited from the card if you haven't used it for six months. And if you go into the red on the card, there's a negative balance fee of €15.
    After you paying the initial €10 charge to buy the card and €3 charge to put money on to it, the card will be 'free' to use to make purchases from businesses which accept Mastercard.
    Fees
    However, withdrawing your money with it from an ATM will cost €2 a time in the eurozone and €5 a time outside -- and that is on top of any withdrawal fees charged by the ATM operator.
    Purchases and withdrawals in currencies other than the euro will also be charged at the exchange rate of the day -- with an extra 5.75pc charged on top.
    The Consumers' Association of Ireland (CAI) said it was outrageous to charge people fees for not using a payment card, and they would write to the Government urgently calling on them to ban this practice in their forthcoming crackdown on excessive charges.
    "It's a bit rich that they will be charging people fees for not spending their own money. Ryanair should be known as the low-cost, high-charge airline," said CAI chief executive Dermott Jewell.
    He urged customers to make sure they were aware of all the charges associated with using this card before they bought one -- and to check if it made sense to cancel the card after use to avoid ongoing charges.
    Irish customers who have been using Mastercard prepaid cards to avoid Ryanair administration fees will no longer be able to do so for bookings made from March 1 -- even though the new card is managed by Access Prepaid Worldwide, which is owned by Mastercard.
    That means that, unless they now purchase the Ryanair card, they will also be hit with the €6 charge per person for each one-way flight already levied on bookings made with all other debit and credit cards.
    A Ryanair spokesman said all charges for the card were fully transparent and were comparable with other prepaid cards. Ryanair introduced the Cash Passport card in the UK and Italy in September. These cards are available to purchase online via the Ryanair website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

This is so annoying and typical of Ryanair. I've been saving a fortune on admin fees by using my Moneybookers prepaid Mastercard up until now - which also cost me €10 when I got it. It's all I use the card for. Now I have to cancel it and get one of these Ryanair cards and load as much cash onto it as I can so I only pay one €3 fee to transfer money onto it. And how can it be legal to charge people for not using the card? That's crazy!

Advertisement