Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-02-2010, 13:33   #1
CathyMoran

What are good vegetarian sources of iron?

Hi,

was vegetarian for a while but am not at the moment (would be pescetarian sp?)...still, I hope to go back to it when I have my baby. What are good sources of iron...in years past that was why I always went back to meat as I got so anemic. At the moment soy is out as I am not happy with the idea of taking it during pregnany. Would be greatful for any advice.
Advertisement
01-02-2010, 13:55   #2
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
http://www.groovyvegetarian.com/2009...-iron-sources/

In general, green leafy vegetables have a good iron content, but as a pregnant woman you'll need to consume twice the RDA of iron of a non-pregnant woman. This could lead to lots of salads and piles of spinach
Thanks from:
01-02-2010, 14:01   #3
CathyMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
http://www.groovyvegetarian.com/2009...-iron-sources/

In general, green leafy vegetables have a good iron content, but as a pregnant woman you'll need to consume twice the RDA of iron of a non-pregnant woman. This could lead to lots of salads and piles of spinach
Thanks for the link...I'm also very anemic so I probably should be eating iron all the time...jnr starts producing his own blood cells now so it should be fun...

I have always found that in the past I could never get enough iron so all help is greatfully appreciated.

Edit: Just looked at that, thanks again, that is exactly what I have been looking for...am a very fussy eater but there are lots of foods there that I am craving (hmm, I wonder why)...and I love pac choi...thanks again.

Last edited by CathyMoran; 01-02-2010 at 14:06.
01-02-2010, 14:24   #4
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Just be careful going on that link, the link says this itself, but it's easy to miss: The values given there are based on calorific contents. So while cooked spinach is listed as having 31mg of Iron (your full RDA, more-or-less), that's in a 200kcal portion of spinach.

100g of spinach has about 23kcal, so in order to eat 200kcal worth of spinach and get your RDA, you'd need to eat just under a kilo a day. And no matter how much you like spinach....bleugh.
(2) thanks from:
01-02-2010, 22:06   #5
StevoTG

I have to confess that if I'm ever worried that I'm not getting enough iron, I just crack open a couple of cans of kidney beans and grab a fork. They've got plenty of iron (I think the tins say 15% of your RDI per 100g) and I love them.. as does the dog, Holly, which explains why I open two tins

Last edited by StevoTG; 01-02-2010 at 22:17.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-02-2010, 22:15   #6
cormie

I posted this before but here it is again

Spirulina:
Nature's richest and most complete source of total organic nutrition. This green superfood containing over 100 synergistic nutrients comes from a microscopic freshwater plant, ecologically grown without chemicals and concentrated by removing nothing but the water. Spirulina is widely used throughout the world as a food supplement for maintaining health, energy and optimum weight.

-Nature's richest source of protein (65% of it's weight), 300% more than fish, meat or poultry (but with zero cholesterol).
-58x richer in iron than spinach. A non-toxic organic source. Taking the maintenance level of Spirulina provides 39% RDA
-Richest wholefood source of anti-oxidants (25x richer in beta carotene than carrot)
-2x richer in chlorophyll than alfalfa, barleygrass or wheatgrass
-Natures richest source of vitamin B12 (often lacking in a vegetarian diet)
-Spirulina assists weight control by curbing the appetite naturally while still supplying a full range of nutrients needed for a balanced diet.
-As an unrefined whole food, Spirulina is absorbed up to 16x more effectively than synthetic multivitamin supplements.

I also heard that the original person who studied spinach put a decimal point in the wrong place and it's actually 10x less than what was originally thought?

Spinach is great anyway, eat it raw in salads or just simply cook it with garlic and it's yum and full of goodness! Crush garlic to release the best nutrients and bacteria fighting thingies.
01-02-2010, 22:15   #7
ContyHooks

I like to mix it up, do you like chickpeas? I eat a lot of humous and chickpea burgers and chickpea currys etc. They have a high iron content. Cabbage, spinach, broccoli etc are good too. Apricots, lentils and beans too and I've noticed most of the breakfast cereals I eat are fortified with iron. I take a multivitamin every day too that has about 90% of your iron RDA.
01-02-2010, 22:16   #8
kraggy
Closed Account

Broccoli is very high in iron.
01-02-2010, 22:17   #9
ContyHooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie View Post
I posted this before but here it is again

Spirulina:
Nature's richest and most complete source of total organic nutrition. This green superfood containing over 100 synergistic nutrients comes from a microscopic freshwater plant, ecologically grown without chemicals and concentrated by removing nothing but the water. Spirulina is widely used throughout the world as a food supplement for maintaining health, energy and optimum weight.

-Nature's richest source of protein (65% of it's weight), 300% more than fish, meat or poultry (but with zero cholesterol).
-58x richer in iron than spinach. A non-toxic organic source. Taking the maintenance level of Spirulina provides 39% RDA
-Richest wholefood source of anti-oxidants (25x richer in beta carotene than carrot)
-2x richer in chlorophyll than alfalfa, barleygrass or wheatgrass
-Natures richest source of vitamin B12 (often lacking in a vegetarian diet)
-Spirulina assists weight control by curbing the appetite naturally while still supplying a full range of nutrients needed for a balanced diet.
-As an unrefined whole food, Spirulina is absorbed up to 16x more effectively than synthetic multivitamin supplements.

I also heard that the original person who studied spinach put a decimal point in the wrong place and it's actually 10x less than what was originally thought?

Spinach is great anyway, eat it raw in salads or just simply cook it with garlic and it's yum and full of goodness! Crush garlic to release the best nutrients and bacteria fighting thingies.
Ah spirulina, natures "superfood". I used to take that for a while but the RDA was 9 capsules (500mg I think) so 4.5g of it a day it just became annoying having to take so much lol!

Just something else to remember, theres no point consuming iron if you aren't getting enough vitamin C. Its necessary to absorb iron.
Advertisement
02-02-2010, 20:13   #10
sweet-rasmus

Send a message via MSN to sweet-rasmus
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
I have to confess that if I'm ever worried that I'm not getting enough iron, I just crack open a couple of cans of kidney beans and grab a fork. They've got plenty of iron (I think the tins say 15% of your RDI per 100g) and I love them.. as does the dog, Holly, which explains why I open two tins
Awwww! Adorable I wonder if my cat would give them a shot on my next iron fix...
02-02-2010, 20:54   #11
CathyMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContyHooks View Post
I like to mix it up, do you like chickpeas? I eat a lot of humous and chickpea burgers and chickpea currys etc. They have a high iron content. Cabbage, spinach, broccoli etc are good too. Apricots, lentils and beans too and I've noticed most of the breakfast cereals I eat are fortified with iron. I take a multivitamin every day too that has about 90% of your iron RDA.
I hate chickpeas, lentils, brocolli, sorry Beans are not great for me and spirllulla is out as I am pregnant (as are multivits)...

Does anyone know a calorie dense high iron source? Sorry for being so akward.
03-02-2010, 16:11   #12
StevoTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-rasmus View Post
Awwww! Adorable I wonder if my cat would give them a shot on my next iron fix...
Try spitting them up in the air, that's how Holly eats them She catches them in her mouth (well, not always). I know of one other person who does this with their dog. I can't picture a cat doing it, but I'd love to be wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyMoran View Post
I hate chickpeas, lentils, brocolli, sorry Beans are not great for me and spirllulla is out as I am pregnant (as are multivits)...

Does anyone know a calorie dense high iron source? Sorry for being so akward.
Dry-roasted Macadamia Nuts. They're high in iron and B vitamins. They're calorically dense and full of healthy fats
Thanks from:
03-02-2010, 18:36   #13
planetX
Closed Account

Hi, when I was pregnant and living abroad I asked my doctor about getting enough iron. She told me to cook my food in an iron pot. I kid you not...
Thanks from:
04-02-2010, 13:26   #14
Thoushaltnot

Not only cook your food in a cast iron pot but make enough of a tomato based dish for 2 days and leave the other half in the pot overnight. The acids in the toms leech small amounts of iron into your food. However, rhubarb and spinach are not good for overnighting in a cast iron pot - I think their acids bind to the iron but in a way that stops it being bioavailable .

Whatever your source of iron, take a source of Vit C with it - easiest being a glass of fresh orange juice with your meal, for example.

Lastly, try not to have a dairy protein meal with an iron rich protein meal, eg. beans, dark green leafys and orange juice for one main meal and cheesey omlette at another rather than a spinach omlette and cheesy beans. AFAIR, calcium/mag tends to get absorbed at the expense of iron.

I know a girl who mainly based her veggie meals on cheese and eggs and became severly anaemic.

Also, avoid tea and coffee with the iron rich meals. Nearly forgot!

Last edited by Thoushaltnot; 04-02-2010 at 14:17.
Thanks from:
04-02-2010, 13:29   #15
gigawatt

thyme apparently! why dont you just take an iron supplement, galfer or the like

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size