Hernia operation - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-01-2010, 20:07   #1
trek climber

Hernia operation

Heading in a for a routine !! hernia operation next week. I am curious to know if any of ye have had this operation done and how long were you off the bike. The doc says six weeks before I can get back on the bike which means it will be well into March before I can get back on the bike. This is not ideal as I will have lost of miles by then compared to other years.
Advertisement
26-01-2010, 20:21   #2
uberwolf

I was back on the bike 3 hours later, but I couldn't pedal. In truth you'll need most of those 6 weeks. Pay special attention to the remedial work you'll be given, once it's safe to do so. No point in having the Op repeated
26-01-2010, 21:01   #3
Russman

You'll need the 6 weeks at least. I had a Gilmores Groin op (similar to a hernia but lower down) and the rehab was 10 weeks. These surgeons know what they're talking about. The rehab work is especially important - best to do it right first time round, take the 6 week break now and look forward to a summer/lifetime of cycling.
26-01-2010, 21:10   #4
trek climber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwolf View Post
I was back on the bike 3 hours later, but I couldn't pedal. In truth you'll need most of those 6 weeks. Pay special attention to the remedial work you'll be given, once it's safe to do so. No point in having the Op repeated
What kind of remedial work were you given ?
26-01-2010, 21:29   #5
Paul Kiernan

What sort of hernia (e.g. inguinal)? Are you having keyhole or open surgery?
Advertisement
26-01-2010, 21:36   #6
lescol

Had my hernias repaired in 2006 laparoscopically. I took 2 weeks off work and cycled the week after that. My surgeon was happy for me to go with comfort and choose my own time. There are a few approaches to repair and you will have to be guided by your surgeon.
26-01-2010, 22:00   #7
uberwolf

I'm reluctant to advise you, I'm no surgeon. Go chat to a physio.

I had been doing the likes of superman, and similar to target the core muscles rather than the external 6 pack set
26-01-2010, 22:00   #8
trek climber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kiernan View Post
What sort of hernia (e.g. inguinal)? Are you having keyhole or open surgery?
Yeah, it is inguinal and it is keyhole surgery
26-01-2010, 22:09   #9
Paul Kiernan

That's exactly what I had in October. It's a doddle. Hurts like hell for a day or so!

I was back on the trainer doing about an hour a day exactly 2 weeks after the surgery. A week after that I managed a 3 hour spin up the mountains and from then on I'd say I was 100%.

Good luck!

P.S. Do a good crap before the operation, it hurts like hell after it
Advertisement
26-01-2010, 22:10   #10
Angry Troll
Closed Account

yeah, you having it done keyhole? i had an inguinal hernia fixed in open surgery (shouldice) some 20 years ago…looking back no prob whatsoever…and keyhole should be even less of an issue…it is routine stuff either way…so no reason to be overly nervous…relax and enjoy the days off…
26-01-2010, 23:03   #11
trek climber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Troll View Post
yeah, you having it done keyhole? i had an inguinal hernia fixed in open surgery (shouldice) some 20 years ago…looking back no prob whatsoever…and keyhole should be even less of an issue…it is routine stuff either way…so no reason to be overly nervous…relax and enjoy the days off…
Thanks for that - bit nervous about but I am just anxious to get it over and done with, have had it for too long
Thanks from:
27-04-2010, 10:04   #12
elchanco

Hi trek,

Im having a umbilical hernia OPEN operation (belly button) this week. Whats the recovery period like?
27-04-2010, 10:28   #13
RobFowl

Advice for recovery from hernia surgery should come from your surgeon (ideally) or your GP. Don't try to rush things as you will only risk the repair failing.

6 weeks for an inguinal hernia id the minimum usually advice.
Umbilical hernia's are less common and you really need to discuss with the surgeon and not here.

Sorry for being po faced but this is quite important...
27-04-2010, 12:15   #14
murph226

6 weeks is sound advice!

I've had one done before, the operation itself is fine but not something you want have to go through twice for the sake of a few weeks.

Just my 2cents!
27-04-2010, 13:31   #15
trek climber

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchanco View Post
Hi trek,

Im having a umbilical hernia OPEN operation (belly button) this week. Whats the recovery period like?
Not sure on that but as mentioned already, consult with your surgeon/GP for expert advice. My surgeon told me not to attempt to cycle for 6 weeks to allow it enough time to heal and despite my reservations that is exactly what I did. It meant that I was way behind in terms of mileage this year but I was not prepared to risk aggravating it by ignoring the medical advice. I am now just over 5 weeks back on the bike and thankfully no problems at all.
Thread Closed