Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-02-2010, 20:09   #31
tcd

thanks a lot, cleared that up for me. was tryin to look for simple english for their powers.cheers. do you know when they are taking in more recruits?
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 20:18   #32
da__flash
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by psni View Post
Not unless they are accompanied by a full time member AND on duty.
Reserves actually have no powers of arrest under the public order act the cant arrest for public order incidents. it is the full time member who is on duty will do the arresting and make the call whether to arrest or not..

In plain english the following are the only thing reserves can arrest for:
Section 40 of RTA is Driving licence and failing to give name or allow member to examine. Reserve has power of arrest

Section 69 of RTA is insurance and again not giving name or refusing to allow member to examine. Reserve has a power of arrest

Section 4 CLA is power of arrest for an arrestable offence. An arrestable offence is an office that carrys, on inditment a sentence of 5 years or more.

Hope this clears things up.
22-02-2010, 20:19   #33
Shield
Well it's still being advertised on PAS so I assume they're accepting applications now.
22-02-2010, 20:20   #34
Shield
It does thanks. I thought the OP meant can a Reserve assist in the arrest of a suspect. My "bad".

Quote:
Originally Posted by da__flash View Post
Reserves actually have no powers of arrest under the public order act the cant arrest for public order incidents. it is the full time member who is on duty will do the arresting and make the call whether to arrest or not..

In plain english the following are the only thing reserves can arrest for:
Section 40 of RTA is Driving licence and failing to give name or allow member to examine. Reserve has power of arrest

Section 69 of RTA is insurance and again not giving name or refusing to allow member to examine. Reserve has a power of arrest

Section 4 CLA is power of arrest for an arrestable offence. An arrestable offence is an office that carrys, on inditment a sentence of 5 years or more.

Hope this clears things up.
22-02-2010, 20:22   #35
da__flash
Closed Account

No probelmo just a little help from your neighbourhood flash
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 20:23   #36
Shield
Careful now, or you'll be asked to help mod this place!
22-02-2010, 20:24   #37
da__flash
Closed Account

me never I dont think i d be trusted with the awesome power
22-02-2010, 20:28   #38
tcd

i cant seem to find out how to apply on publicjobs.ie any help?
22-02-2010, 20:28   #39
Hooch

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
me never I dont think i d be trusted with the awesome power
Hey....they trusted psni and look what he did to the place
Advertisement
22-02-2010, 20:29   #40
da__flash
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice guy always View Post
Hey....they trusted psni and look what he did to the place
two shay
07-03-2010, 22:33   #41
tcd

In the case of someone assaulting you on duty..clearly a reserve has the power to arrest?
07-03-2010, 23:07   #42
Shield
But reserves are only on duty while accompanied by a full-time member!
07-03-2010, 23:47   #43
da__flash
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd View Post
In the case of someone assaulting you on duty..clearly a reserve has the power to arrest?
no you do not have a power to arrest as there is no power laid done for it.. the full time member would arrest do under a different act do...
08-03-2010, 09:56   #44
klong

Quote:
Quote:
no you do not have a power to arrest as there is no power laid done for it.. the full time member would arrest do under a different act do...

Surely the answer would be "yes...but".

From DoJ website:

Garda Reserve powers are as follows :-

Road Traffic Act 1961/2006

* Power to demand production of driving licence in accordance with Section 40 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006;
* Power to demand production of a certificate of insurance or exemption in accordance with Section 69 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006.
* Power to regulate traffic movement in accordance with Section 91 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006.
* Power to require person driving vehicle in a public place to stop in accordance with Section 109 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006.

Power of arrest without warrant

* Section 40 (4)(a) & (b) Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006
* Section 69 (5) Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006.
* Section 109 Road Traffic Act, 1961/2006.
* Section 4(3) of the Criminal Law Act 1997 (power of arrest for an ‘arrestable offence’)

Citizens Information website defines an "arrestable offence" as:

"Just as the Bail Act 1997 created a distinction between serious and non-serious offences, the Criminal Law Act 1997 abolished the distinction between a felony and misdemeanour and created the arrestable/non-arrestable distinction. The Act defines an arrestable offence as an offence for which a person could be punished by imprisonment for 5 years or more, similar to the definition of a serious offence mentioned above."

Now, an example where an arrest could technically be possible.

s. 4 Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act:

4.—(1) A person who intentionally or recklessly causes serious harm to another shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for life or to both.

5.—(1) A person who, without lawful excuse, makes to another a threat, by any means intending the other to believe it will be carried out, to kill or cause serious harm to that other or a third person shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
[GA]

( a ) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or
[GA]

( b ) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to both.

6.—(1) A person who—
[GA]

( a ) injures another by piercing the skin of that other with a syringe, or
[GA]

( b ) threatens to so injure another with a syringe,
[GA]

with the intention of or where there is a likelihood of causing that other to believe that he or she may become infected with disease as a result of the injury caused or threatened shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

(2) A person who—
[GA]

( a ) sprays, pours or puts onto another blood or any fluid or substance resembling blood, or
[GA]

( b ) threatens to spray, pour or put onto another blood or any fluid or substance resembling blood,
[GA]

with the intention of or where there is a likelihood of causing that other to believe that he or she may become infected with disease as a result of the action caused or threatened shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

(3) A person who in committing or attempting to commit an offence under subsection (1) or (2)—
[GA]

( a ) injures a third person with a syringe by piercing his or her skin, or
[GA]

( b ) sprays, pours or puts onto a third person blood or any fluid or substance resembling blood,
[GA]

resulting in the third person believing that he or she may become infected with disease as a result of the injury or action caused shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

(4) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall be liable—
[GA]

( a ) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or
[GA]

( b ) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to both.
[GA]

( 5 ) ( a ) A person who intentionally injures another by piercing the skin of that other with a contaminated syringe shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

( b ) A person who intentionally sprays, pours or puts onto another contaminated blood shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

( c ) A person who in committing or attempting to commit an offence under paragraph (a) or (b)—
[GA]

(i) injures a third person with a contaminated syringe by piercing his or her skin, or
[GA]

(ii) sprays, pours or puts onto a third person contaminated blood, shall be guilty of an offence.
[GA]

( d ) A person guilty of an offence under this subsection shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life.

So my opinion would be "yes, but...", the "but" being that it depends on the individual circumstances. (Just my opinion BTW )
08-03-2010, 11:51   #45
Hooch

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
Surely the answer would be "yes...but".
Section 4 "assualt" is assault causing serious harm, much like GBH in the UK.

It can only be used in extreme cases of assault and is usually passed over for attempted murder etc.

So no......I cant see anyone arresting for this....

A simple assault, Section 2 "Assault", has no power of arrest/detention.

A Section 3 "Assault" is an arrestable offence and has a lower level of assault IE - broken nose etc. A GR could arrest in this instance......once they are SURE the DPP will run with Section 3.

Assault of a peace office is covered under Section 19 Criminal Justic (Public Order) Act '94 and is also an arrestabe offence. GR would be covered under this as would persons who are coming to the aid of AGS members.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion