Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-01-2010, 12:13   #1
sliabh
Registered User
 
sliabh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: en route to Rionegro
Posts: 1,917
Guidline prices for tiling

I am looking refurbishing the bathroom in my apartment and I am trying to estimate how much it will cost me to get in a tiler. The quotes I have so far are very different so I was wondering if people can tell me what is a rough guideline for fitting tiles per square metre these days?

The job would be relatively small 15-20 sqm.

Thanks

SK
sliabh is offline  
Advertisement
22-01-2010, 23:20   #2
Clarelassie
Registered User
 
Clarelassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 30
We just got quoted here in Clare 12euros a sq yard. But we are getting a very large area done and tiler is quoting to keep himself busy - said he would rather be busy in current climate and is. Prices in Vienna could be very different!
Clarelassie is offline  
23-01-2010, 07:48   #3
sliabh
Registered User
 
sliabh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: en route to Rionegro
Posts: 1,917
Thanks for the infor Clairlassie. That seems pretty cheap compared to the quotes I have been getting (the job actually is in Dublin).
sliabh is offline  
23-01-2010, 09:22   #4
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Frankfurts way
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliabh View Post
I am looking refurbishing the bathroom in my apartment and I am trying to estimate how much it will cost me to get in a tiler. The quotes I have so far are very different so I was wondering if people can tell me what is a rough guideline for fitting tiles per square metre these days?

The job would be relatively small 15-20 sqm.

Thanks

SK
Just to discuss the figures a little. 20 Sqr meters at 30 Euro is 600 Euro

20 Square meters at 15 euro is...... 300.

If my memory serves correct. (Its a couple of months)

25 Euro for ceramic
30 Euro for Porc
35 Euro for Marble.


More importantly. What is the prep work. Is there existing tiles on the wall/floor and is the floor wooden or concrete.


These is not a whole lot of difference in the job price I would be more concerned in the finish which would cost more to rectify. Be sure to get references and have a look at the job.
Joey the lips is offline  
23-01-2010, 18:29   #5
paddy147
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,390
The average is about 30 euro a square meter for Dublin.

Thats what a fair few of the builders quotes we recently got had on them.
paddy147 is offline  
Advertisement
23-01-2010, 19:03   #6
sliabh
Registered User
 
sliabh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: en route to Rionegro
Posts: 1,917
That is the sort of information I am looking for. Thanks for that.
sliabh is offline  
23-01-2010, 19:16   #7
targus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 68
The cost per sq metre during the boom times was about €30 euro for standard tiles.

The cost now is anything from €15-20.

Shop around,you shouldnt be paying anymore than €20.
targus is offline  
23-01-2010, 21:19   #8
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Frankfurts way
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by targus View Post
The cost per sq metre during the boom times was about €30 euro for standard tiles.

The cost now is anything from €15-20.

Shop around,you shouldnt be paying anymore than €20.

I dont agree with you.In fact you dont know much about the trade. A good tiler. is worth the money and marble takes a lot of time. Porc equally

If you want macdonalds then pay macdonalds prices.

op. get references.
Joey the lips is offline  
23-01-2010, 21:39   #9
paddy147
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
I dont agree with you.In fact you dont know much about the trade. A good tiler. is worth the money and marble takes a lot of time. Porc equally

If you want macdonalds then pay macdonalds prices.

op. get references.

You sound very much like the last builder we spoke to when reviewing his quotatin for a house renovation.

But its true,you are paying for the quality of fit and the skill.
paddy147 is offline  
Advertisement
24-01-2010, 09:11   #10
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Frankfurts way
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy147 View Post
You sound very much like the last builder we spoke to when reviewing his quotatin for a house renovation.

But its true,you are paying for the quality of fit and the skill.

I dont have a clue what you mean sorry. But if I am reading this correctly your baseing your experience of the tile industry on a conversation you had with your builder. Tiling is an art. I am NOT a tiler but I am so long in the business that i can spot a bad job very quickly. I can also spot a bad tiler based on his her prices.

Its a reasonable logic to assume that a slow patient tiler who is very good will not do a lot of jobs but will do them so well that she/he will be in demand. Its equally reasonable to assume that fast assembly line tilers cut corners and do shoddy work. Both assumptions do not always prove correct but its been my experience that a slow tiler is a perfectionist.

I think you are agreeing with me in your last line.

Always get references. remember its not the cost of the 20 mtrs of tiling that is the problem its the cost to remove the 20 meters of tiling if the tiler fooked up and believe me with due respect everybody in eastern europe might be excellent workers but that does not make them excellent tilers.
Joey the lips is offline  
24-01-2010, 15:00   #11
targus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
I dont agree with you.In fact you dont know much about the trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
A good tiler. is worth the money and marble takes a lot of time. Porc equally

If you want macdonalds then pay macdonalds prices.

op. get references.
Whether I do or not is irrelevant,I am merely stating what the current average prices are.The op never mentioned marble so i dont understand why you did.The prices I mentioned are for standard ceramic tiles.For what its worth I know quite a bit about current prices for all trades,but of course you will always have the fools who dont shop around and pay above market rates.
targus is offline  
24-01-2010, 15:31   #12
Poor Uncle Tom
Registered User
 
Poor Uncle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,958
Be Nice and stay on topic, Pullease.....
Poor Uncle Tom is offline  
24-01-2010, 19:00   #13
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Frankfurts way
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by targus View Post
[B]

Whether I do or not is irrelevant,I am merely stating what the current average prices are.The op never mentioned marble so i dont understand why you did.The prices I mentioned are for standard ceramic tiles.For what its worth I know quite a bit about current prices for all trades,but of course you will always have the fools who dont shop around and pay above market rates.
They are not fools. I seen many jobs done by fools and whilst granted you can get an expensive fool I dont know anyone who tiles for the rate you quote. But the op is free to confirm that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Uncle Tom View Post
Be Nice and stay on topic, Pullease.....
If i have said something wrong I apologise.
Joey the lips is offline  
24-01-2010, 19:35   #14
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Land of the brave.
Posts: 30,132
I recently got the bathroom tiled - about 18 m2 of wall tiles and 5 m2 floor tiles - and it cost €600. Top class job too.
muffler is offline  
Thanks from:
24-01-2010, 20:52   #15
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Frankfurts way
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
I recently got the bathroom tiled - about 18 m2 of wall tiles and 5 m2 floor tiles - and it cost €600. Top class job too.
18 + 5 = 22 / 600 = 27 Euro per meter.......


See I went to a good school.

Thanks muffler for confirming I am only insane sometimes.
Joey the lips is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet