Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2010, 21:28   #1
misterburgess

Best route Dublin to Killarney?

Hi guys,
Not 100% that i'm posting this in the right place but here goes anyhoo.
I'll be driving to Killarney from Dublin in a few weeks time, i'm looking for some feedback whether i should go via M8/N8, through Portlaoise, Abbeyleix, Cashel, Mitchelstown. Or should i go via M7/N7, through Roscrea, Limerick, Newcastlewest, Castleisland. I've checked on Google maps and they're both roughly the same distance, so does anyone know which is best for road quality, traffic flow etc.? Your advice is much appreciated, thanks!!!
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 21:38   #2
Stevie Dakota

I did this recently I next time I will do whatever it takes to avoid Mitchelstown to mallow road. It is a joke.
(4) thanks from:
19-01-2010, 21:46   #3
misterburgess

Thanks for that, i'll probably go through Limerick so. I've gone this way to Tralee before and it wasn't too bad.
19-01-2010, 21:53   #4
Atomic Pineapple

go via Limerick, I went that way only last summer, its a good spin but roads were fine and traffic wasn't bad, the by pass of Limerick is handy
19-01-2010, 22:13   #5
Jack Bauer999

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
go via Limerick, I went that way only last summer, its a good spin but roads were fine and traffic wasn't bad, the by pass of Limerick is handy

id go via mitchelstown way because of motorway all the way except for abbeyleix to durrow. travel the limerick road from dublin every couple of weeks and its a pain in the arse, once you leave the motorway at portloaise its single lane all the way to limerick except for the new by pass at nenagh and 9/10 times you stuck behind a line of 20 cars.
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 22:15   #6
McSpud

I would not advise Limerick road as IMO the road is very poor on both the Dublin section & after Limerick. Its almost entirely single carraigeway.

I have driven Dublin-Dingle & since new motorway sections of M8 I have driven via Cork City. It might be longer distance than direct but much better roads.

Definitely pick the N8/M8 as its 80% motorway. Going via Mitchelstown is the same distance as via Limerick. I would suggest thinking of going until Fermoy & then turn off for Killarney then but I have not travelled that road so can comment on.

Dublin-Cork-Killarney is pretty much guaranteed under 4 hours unless hit Cork at rush hour. Off peak I would say 3.5 hours. Cork-Killarney should be less than 1 hour.
19-01-2010, 22:19   #7
TestTransmission

When are you going OP?Motorway section between Birdhill and Nenagh should be open apparently at the end of this month,will take some time off your route
20-01-2010, 00:37   #8
misterburgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestTransmission View Post
When are you going OP?Motorway section between Birdhill and Nenagh should be open apparently at the end of this month,will take some time off your route
I'm going on Valentine's weekend. Thanks to everyone for the advice but to be honest i'm still not sure which route to take! Like everyone i hate single lane crappy roads so i suppose i'm looking for the route with most motorway.
20-01-2010, 15:38   #9
skippy2

Have done them all and
Dublin - Cork - Killarnyey is the way to go even if doesn't seem to be
If you avoid rush hour its even better and the roads are good most of the way.
Plus any of the non motorways roads are the pits after the ice especially down the country
Avoid Mitchelstown- Mallow-Killarney road at all costs
Limerick to Killareny is not much bettter
Advertisement
20-01-2010, 15:58   #10
mp22

The cork killarney road is being repaired in and around macroom expect delays for this week and some of next week.
20-01-2010, 16:52   #11
Lex Luthor

I would also suggest Dublin - Cork - Killarney

I can get from Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout in 2hrs, then its thro the tunnel and out the N25 onto the Ballincollig by-pass within 10 min and there onto Killarney.

If there are roadworks however, maybe it should be considered.

I used to live in Ballincollig and remember before the bypass the town was a nightmare to get through but now I can get there in 2hr15min if I get a good run and thats on the speed limit
20-01-2010, 17:13   #12
alias no.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
I would also suggest Dublin - Cork - Killarney

I can get from Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout in 2hrs, then its thro the tunnel and out the N25 onto the Ballincollig by-pass within 10 min and there onto Killarney.

If there are roadworks however, maybe it should be considered.

I used to live in Ballincollig and remember before the bypass the town was a nightmare to get through but now I can get there in 2hr15min if I get a good run and thats on the speed limit
You're obviously avoiding Abbeyleix traffic either by timing or by cunning.
OP, if you're going the Dublin-Cork-Killarney route, Macroom can be a traffic blackspot even when there are no roadworks. Like Abbeyleix, there are ways around it.
08-09-2010, 09:58   #13
Bottle

Dublin - Killarney

With the new Dublin to Limerick motorway, is this now the best / quickest way from Dublin to Killarney?
08-09-2010, 10:06   #14
R.O.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle View Post
With the new Dublin to Limerick motorway, is this now the best / quickest way from Dublin to Killarney?
Is that finished yet? Came back that was a couple of months ago and it was on motorway, off motorway, on motorway, off motorway.

Wished I'd gone back the M8 as we went down.
08-09-2010, 12:11   #15
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.R View Post
Is that finished yet? Came back that was a couple of months ago and it was on motorway, off motorway, on motorway, off motorway.
Nope,it's getting there though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion