Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational, Feb 6th

• 12-01-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

The next Fitness Invitational - your chance to test your fitness in a fun, friendly a supportive environment - is scheduled for Saturday, February 6th.

After the roaring succes of 2009 we're hoping to continue that trend in 2010.

We're hoping to host a good few guys from outside CrossFit Ireland and welcome anyone, regardless of your fitness experience, who wants to give it a go. There's already a positive buzz amongst our guys, so if you're interested, please get in touch with either myself (086-8151092/colm at crossfit dot ie) or Tom (086-6077771/tom at crossfit dot ie)

Here's the boards.ie thread from the September Invitational

Here's our Invitational site

Hope to see you in Feb!
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Balls....I can't think of an excuse good enough to get me out of this! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Will be in Belfast with a fighter but I'll mention it to the rest of the folks at the gym.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 crossfitincork?

There better be muscle ups, and lots of them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

There better be muscle ups, and lots of them!
    Hi Ger, are yourself and Pat competing this time? Also, are you bringing your consignment of scary-fit super-langers :D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 crossfitincork?

Ed, Im coming up anyway and i presume Pat is too. There is already one langer in college in UCD so he might compete if he is not playing Sigerson cup. I've said it to the other langers but most of them are playing schools rugby so i doubt they will compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I'll be along, expecting to do scaled down versions of whatever it is you decide to have us do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I'll be along, expecting to do scaled down versions of whatever it is you decide to have us do...
    i did a 16 minute scaled fran. nothing to be a shamed of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i am sure a few of my clients will man or woman up and do it!!

Awaits post from them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm actually gonna train for this one!!

I'm stuck in fcuking Mayo for the last week before the comp so it'll probably mostly be bodyweight metcons and compulsive double under practice down there.

crossfit jackie today for me in the lads new place (which was excellent) - 6.53mins

thats row 1000m, 50reps on thrusters with 20kg and 30reps on pull ups.

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    crossfit jackie today for me in the lads new place (which was excellent) - 6.53mins

thats row 1000m, 50reps on thrusters with 20kg and 30reps on pull ups.

Crikey. That's ugly. Gonna have to try it this week. Will deffo be miles off that time tho. What sorta 500m split times on the row?

I did this yesterday in 4.29, was good fun but my forearms were dead by the end of it;
    5 rounds w/ 60kg bar
    9 deadlifts
    6 hang power cleans
    3 push press

Anyone got any suggestions on 15-20 minute metcons that I can do???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Finished Jackie in 7:59. Dominic was about 20 seconds faster than me on the row, about a 1:43 split. I did the thrusters in 20,10,10,10 whereas he got through them in 25,25. Couldn't catch him on the pull ups.

Fun.

We've a good few girls from our place entering as well so it'd be awesome to get some of the boards girlies down. We can scale everything on the day for you.

If you've never tried CrossFit before, or anything similar, sure give us a call and you can call down and do a session with us before the Invitational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

What do you lads think of thrusters ?

Have to say i don't like them; hurt my wrists and shoulders.

I'd rather do sets of front squats and push presses seperately, then do burpees or swings/dumbbell snatches if I wanted a "metcon" workout.

What do you think you get out of doing eg 50 reps of them ?

Thrusters force a compromise in grip position between the Front Squat and the Push Press, which means two things. One, your front squat has to be very upright so you can transition into the push press. Two, if you push too early, you generally hurt your wrists.

The benefit to a thruster is how taxing it is, because you've to hold your breath for longer than just a front squat or push press. The longer range of motion is one advantage, as well as the large eccentric component to the lift.

All that said, it's just one tool amongst many.

Hanley wrote: »
    Crikey. That's ugly. Gonna have to try it this week. Will deffo be miles off that time tho. What sorta 500m split times on the row?

I did this yesterday in 4.29, was good fun but my forearms were dead by the end of it;
    5 rounds w/ 60kg bar
    9 deadlifts
    6 hang power cleans
    3 push press

Anyone got any suggestions on 15-20 minute metcons that I can do???
    emmm crossfit angie will take a good while!

crossfit michael is long enough also

Over 20 guys registered now for Feb, promises to be great!

We've Davie Easton from CrossFit Hobo/CrossFit Central Scotland and his mate flying over. Also Dominic Beardwell from CF Central Manchester competing. Closer to home we've Pat & Ger, too die hard CrossFitters from Cork (Ger a former long distance runner, Pat a former competitive powerlifter) making the trip. And Hanley has been hitting the double unders hard in anticipation for this. Also making his return to metcons and cardio is The Shane, the guy who got me into CrossFit in the first place.

Really shaping up to be a great day full of displays of awesome fitness and comedy banter that we always bring. Hope to see you there on the day, either to compete or spectate.

TTT!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

For anyone who is in two minds I'd recommend you go along and watch even if you cannot take part. The last invitational was great fun - you will learn something, meet new people and hopefully come away with renewed enthusiasm to train. What more could you want at the beginning of the year?

Check out this video of the final workout from the last invitational:

Colm - best of luck with this. Sorry I won't make it, I'm moving to Australia next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I might head over and sit around watching whilst drinking milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Wow this invitational is going to be off the chain! Some big hitters are making their way down for this one. Hopefully someone from Ireland takes the title this time :D I'd be cheering for Will but being a CFI coach he can't place afaik so I'm gonna cheer for Pat from Cork.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction;

Heavy snatches of some sort will appear, and double unders won't.

I'll anticipate Colm's reply too; "Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Who knows?"

• Advertisement

Snatches would be good. Hopefully there's no high rep deads.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Snatches would be good. Hopefully there's no high rep deads.
    hopefully there is any kind of deadlifting!

Transform wrote: »
    hopefully there is any kind of deadlifting!

I think regardless of what's included I'm gonna want to lie down in a dark room with 2 litres of milk and a cheesecake afterwards :pac:

Haha! It'll be an awesome day. And when the workouts are released I anticipate the following responses;

"Interesting"
    "YES! Just what I was hoping for!"
    "Ah f*ck!"
    "I'm out!"
    "I think I can win this"
    etc

and my personal favourite

"Jesus Colm, what did we ever do to you!"

Just remember that while some people on this board *cough*Hanley*cough* take this thing really seriously we see it as a great opportunity for people to come together, try their hand at a new challenge, and get inspired for their fitness.

Our girls are looking forward to it, and if people have to scale, scale away. Like Dominic said to a friend when we were talking about it. "From someone lifting 7 kilos to 70, everyone cheers you on because we understand the common struggle."

Col

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I'll anticipate Colm's reply too; "Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Who knows?"

Colm knows! :pac:

token wrote: »
    Colm knows! :pac:
    its the shared collective pain that is involved and the respect that everyone gives it a shot.

There are many people out there that think they are 'fit' or in great shape so with that in mind i suggest you man or woman up and get involved.

Always a super day and I guarantee you will learn lots

Just remember that while some people on this board *cough*Hanley*cough* take this thing really seriously we see it as a great opportunity for people to come together, try their hand at a new challenge, and get inspired for their fitness.

Yeah yeah yeah.... community... friendship... opportunities... challenges... etc etc....

I'm a competitive pr*ck. I make no apologies for it.

I do enjoy being at comps for the shared spirit of it all tho. It's nice seeing people hit PR's and sh!t, pushing themselves right to the end, and I'll probably cheers louder than anyone and offer whatever coaching advice that I can, but once it gets to within 5 minutes of my time to go, I'm not nice to be around. I'm the same at powerlifting competitions!!

Consider yourselves warned :D

(and I'd damn well better do at least decently or I'm gonna look like a serious knob)

EDIT: I should probably point out for those of you who haven't met me - I'm not a total a$$hole. I just love lifting and competiting in anything physical!! Hell I spent a good while teaching some lad how to front squat in TF Sandyford last week, and held Cardio's hand thru some power cleans as well.

Yeah yeah yeah.... community... friendship... opportunities... challenges... etc etc....

I'm a competitive pr*ck. I make no apologies for it.

I do enjoy being at comps for the shared spirit of it all tho. It's nice seeing people hit PR's and sh!t, pushing themselves right to the end, and I'll probably cheers louder than anyone and offer whatever coaching advice that I can, but once it gets to within 5 minutes of my time to go, I'm not nice to be around. I'm the same at powerlifting competitions!!

Consider yourselves warned :D

(and I'd damn well better do at least decently or I'm gonna look like a serious knob)

EDIT: I should probably point out for those of you who haven't met me - I'm not a total a$$hole. I just love lifting and competiting in anything physical!! Hell I spent a good while teaching some lad how to front squat in TF Sandyford last week, and held Cardio's hand thru some power cleans as well.
    Yea yea just because you did your good deed for the day does not let you off the hook - competitive a hole!!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i gotta vouch for this, altho there was no hand holding as much as hed like to believe :P. but he helped out a completlely random guy who asked for advise, pretty damn cool if you ask me

• Advertisement

i gotta vouch for this, altho there was no hand holding as much as hed like to believe :P. but he helped out a completlely random guy who asked for advise, pretty damn cool if you ask me

Sssh you or I won't help you with your power cleans anymore. Should be up again on Wednesday by the way.

Advertisement