Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 16:31   #1
chrisbonnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,404
ribble vs planet x

Ribble Gran Fondo

vs

Planet X sl Pro Carbon

any major differences in frames

what woould the all knowledgable posters on the forum go for?

its for my brother, he`s a non boards memeber, hence the numerous posts from me asking questions for my bro

thanks in advance
chrisbonnie is offline  
Advertisement
08-01-2010, 16:48   #2
blorg
Registered User
 
blorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Thailand
Posts: 15,936
I believe the Ribble is a bit more relaxed, a sportive bike like a Specialized Roubaix. This is the key difference.

I would go for the Planet X myself but the Ribble is also a nice bike and may be more appropriate if your brother is less flexible. I like a racier geometry myself and have no problem doing exceedingly long distances on one (up to 325km on a one-day last year on my summer racer and substantially more on multi-day events.) Note the cheap PX wheels are out of stock so you would need to spring for the Ultegra 6700 @£300 extra. Still, nice wheels but pricing not the MOST competitive (remember you need to take the price of the free wheels out too. Maybe email them to find out when the "free" included wheels will come back into stock as they are very decent wheels for the money (both Model B and C.)

I have direct experience of buying bikes from PX and in particular their customer support is very good (I have many emails with them and have bought two bikes.)

I have also bought parts from Ribble and found them fine but there are a fair number of bad reports on them from people buying entire bikes; while there are virtually NONE on Planet X but plenty praising them. Worth bearing in mind.
blorg is offline  
08-01-2010, 17:11   #3
chrisbonnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorg View Post
I believe the Ribble is a bit more relaxed, a sportive bike like a Specialized Roubaix. This is the key difference.

I would go for the Planet X myself but the Ribble is also a nice bike and may be more appropriate if your brother is less flexible. I like a racier geometry myself and have no problem doing exceedingly long distances on one (up to 325km on a one-day last year on my summer racer and substantially more on multi-day events.) Note the cheap PX wheels are out of stock so you would need to spring for the Ultegra 6700 @£300 extra. Still, nice wheels but pricing not the MOST competitive (remember you need to take the price of the free wheels out too. Maybe email them to find out when the "free" included wheels will come back into stock as they are very decent wheels for the money (both Model B and C.)

I have direct experience of buying bikes from PX and in particular their customer support is very good (I have many emails with them and have bought two bikes.)

I have also bought parts from Ribble and found them fine but there are a fair number of bad reports on them from people buying entire bikes; while there are virtually NONE on Planet X but plenty praising them. Worth bearing in mind.
yeah, my brother rang planet X earlier, they wont have the standard wheels for another 2 weeks, but then the sale is over, he`s prepared to wait, but i said id research the ribble for him in the meantime

when you say the ribble is less racey, what exactly do you mean?
chrisbonnie is offline  
08-01-2010, 17:21   #4
blorg
Registered User
 
blorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Thailand
Posts: 15,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonnie View Post
when you say the ribble is less racey, what exactly do you mean?
I haven't looked at the geometry in detail but the Ribble is marketed as having a longer than normal head tube- this elevates the riding position leading to less saddle-bar drop and a less "aggressive", more "relaxed" riding position. I prefer more drop and find even when not racing it balances me better between saddle, pedals and bars. Bikes where I am more upright it puts too much pressure on my Gluteus Maximus and you really notice this over long rides. You can adjust drop a fair bit with spacers and stem angle/orientation though in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble
It has been designed to the same basic race geometry as the other carbon road frames in our range. The addition of a slightly taller head tube and improved tube shaping provides improved handling, additional comfort and increased torsional stiffness.
Specialized probably started the idea with the Roubaix (the Tarmac being the "racier" bike) and it makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, probably most people... The default geometry on the Trek Madone now for example is relaxed, unless you specifically go for the standard crankset "Pro" version or whatever they call it.
blorg is offline  
08-01-2010, 17:51   #5
xz
Registered User
 
xz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,064
problem with the PX model B and C wheels is excessive bite into the freehub from the cassette, well that has been my own experience anyway, and I've heard of others with same experience, other than that PX is a wonderful bike
xz is offline  
Advertisement
08-01-2010, 18:06   #6
blorg
Registered User
 
blorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Thailand
Posts: 15,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz View Post
problem with the PX model B and C wheels is excessive bite into the freehub from the cassette, well that has been my own experience anyway, and I've heard of others with same experience, other than that PX is a wonderful bike
That is a problem with all lightweight alloy freehubs for 8/9/10 speed when used with a Shimano cassette, I have the same issue with my DT 240S hubs which are pretty high-end.

The PX wheels I got were actually 10 speed only (raised splines) and hence wouldn't even have suffered from that problem. They told me though that most of the wheels were 8/9/10 but if you were concerned you could maybe ask specifically for 10 speed specific.
blorg is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet