Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2010, 17:05   #1
Mrs OBumble

Help map Liosban estate

When people talk about the place that most maps call "Liosban industrial estate", they comes refer to
  • Liosban Business Park
  • Liosban Retail Park
  • Kilkerrin Park
  • And maybe some others that I don't know about.

Is there any defined boundary between these? Or is is all one happy place?

I've tried looking at the district plan, cross referencing various business' published addresses with their locations, and looking at planning applications. But nothing seemed to add up.

Why? Well I've been trying to label the place in a way that makes it easier to find things within it. But really there are wayyy too many buildings for the one map - and besides I'm sure other people have looked for the areas within it too, and I'm hoping to create a lasting information resource for Galway, based on what people who live here need, rather than what tourists need (lots of other people are doing that already, far better than I can).

This is what I've got so far DRAFT-MAP in case having the numbers helps anyone to explain what parts are what.

PS apologies for the lack of fada's in this ... how do i make boards do 'em (without memorising the alt-key combos!) ????
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 17:09   #2
biko
Percolator

Alt Gr + a = á, same for éóí...

35 - AIB
23 - Golf shop
31 - Subway and school books store
Thanks from:
06-01-2010, 17:25   #3
KevinVonSpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Alt Gr + a = á, same for éóí...
mmmm... æ e → ø
06-01-2010, 17:52   #4
d-gal

40 - Proactive, garda juvenille station, o'briens
37 - Ulster Bank, adult shop, polski shop and marios
39 - carparts, results, galway physio, winters, o'learys, LPM
38 - mocha beans

really hard to tell on the map actually, alot of premises abandoned unfortunately!
Thanks from:
06-01-2010, 19:00   #5
happyoutscan

At the eastern corner of 22 (centre point) is an Elverys, couple doors north from there (also 22 centre point) is ICE recruitment. Was driving through it yesterday, might be driving through it again in a couple days so will see what info I can get for you.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 19:10   #6
pleasant Co.
delightful

part of 38 is "Galmac"
part of 22 is "Elvery sports"
part of 37 is "Marco's" (formerly known as "Mario's")
part of 27 is "Nigel's bicycles"
part of 31 is the Galway VEC I think
Thanks from:
06-01-2010, 21:03   #7
Mrs OBumble

Let me clarify a bit:

I'm not so much interested in which specific businesses are (currently) in each building. I will list some that are of high public interest or high navigation/visibility vaule, and I have a list of these based on a walk I did thru the estate one lunch-time.

But what I'm looking for is what areas are the industrial park, the retail park and the business park. Or perhaps some evidence that they're all the same.

d-gal: your .sig quotes your address as "12E Liosbaun Industrial Estate". What is this based on - where does the 12 come from? How does a visitor to the estate know how to distinguish your 12 from any others? where does the numbering start, and how high does it go? ('Cos I haven't been able to work out any pattern from the other addresses I've looked at so far)/

Last edited by Mrs OBumble; 06-01-2010 at 21:05.
06-01-2010, 22:38   #8
nifheorais

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMary View Post
When people talk about the place that most maps call "Liosban industrial estate", they comes refer to
  • Liosban Business Park
  • Liosban Retail Park
  • Kilkerrin Park
  • And maybe some others that I don't know about.
Is there any defined boundary between these? Or is is all one happy place?

I've tried looking at the district plan, cross referencing various business' published addresses with their locations, and looking at planning applications. But nothing seemed to add up.

Why? Well I've been trying to label the place in a way that makes it easier to find things within it. But really there are wayyy too many buildings for the one map - and besides I'm sure other people have looked for the areas within it too, and I'm hoping to create a lasting information resource for Galway, based on what people who live here need, rather than what tourists need (lots of other people are doing that already, far better than I can).

This is what I've got so far DRAFT-MAP in case having the numbers helps anyone to explain what parts are what.

PS apologies for the lack of fada's in this ... how do i make boards do 'em (without memorising the alt-key combos!) ????

Might be a BIT CONFUSING AS THE NUMBERS DO NOT CORRESPOND TO ADDRESSES.i WORK IN 22 BUT IT IS NOT CENTREPOINT!
07-01-2010, 10:05   #9
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifheorais View Post
Might be a BIT CONFUSING AS THE NUMBERS DO NOT CORRESPOND TO ADDRESSES.i WORK IN 22 BUT IT IS NOT CENTREPOINT!
Excellent point!

I'd much prefer to use existing numbering if it's there. How do I find out where the official number 22 is? (I couldn't see numbers when I walked around the other day looking for 'em).

Is there only one 22, or are there separate ones for the Business, Retail and Industrial parts of the estate?
Advertisement
27-03-2010, 21:44   #10
Dave Joyce

Our gym is located in the laneway between Jas Cunningham Electical Contractors and the Cash Factory BUT I don't have a clue what kind of number/correct address is. Can you imagine trying to explain to someone that doesn't know Liosbán where we actually are. Anyone got any idea how we find out what our actual number is???
30-03-2010, 10:21   #11
gerkeo

Block 40 (proactive etc) is addressed as Unit 3, Liosbaun Ind. Estate.
Thanks from:
30-03-2010, 14:17   #12
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkeo View Post
Block 40 (proactive etc) is addressed as Unit 3, Liosbaun Ind. Estate.
Thanks Gerkeo.

I've been going through various business addresses, trying to find a relationship between the address they quote, and their physical location. Unfortunately I'm having real difficulty spotting a pattern. Will keep trying though, every little helps.
30-03-2010, 14:41   #13
Xiney

It's madness, that place.

Do they have a management company that could shed some light onto it or is it a case of every building being managed by someone else and they're all so long there that they don't understand how @!#$ing confusing the place is?
30-03-2010, 21:48   #14
Mrs OBumble

I'm 99% sure it's not all one management company.

And I think you're right, the "ahh, sure'n everyone knows" factor is strong.

Liosbán is not much worse than other estates though. IMHO, the only one that gets any marks for signage is Briarhill Business Park ... Spoiler: (it must be run be foreigners). Ohhh ... I so didn't way that!!!!
01-04-2010, 13:37   #15
s_carnage

Justmary it might be a bit of help to you but The Advertiser has a couple of pages focused on the Liosban Est in this weeks edition. It has a map done out to with the areas so could be useful.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion