Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Help map Liosban estate

• 06-01-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,546 ✭✭✭✭

When people talk about the place that most maps call "Liosban industrial estate", they comes refer to
    • Liosban Business Park
    • Liosban Retail Park
    • Kilkerrin Park
    • And maybe some others that I don't know about.

Is there any defined boundary between these? Or is is all one happy place?

I've tried looking at the district plan, cross referencing various business' published addresses with their locations, and looking at planning applications. But nothing seemed to add up.

Why? Well I've been trying to label the place in a way that makes it easier to find things within it. But really there are wayyy too many buildings for the one map - and besides I'm sure other people have looked for the areas within it too, and I'm hoping to create a lasting information resource for Galway, based on what people who live here need, rather than what tourists need (lots of other people are doing that already, far better than I can).

This is what I've got so far DRAFT-MAP in case having the numbers helps anyone to explain what parts are what.

PS apologies for the lack of fada's in this ... how do i make boards do 'em (without memorising the alt-key combos!) ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Alt Gr + a = á, same for éóí...

35 - AIB
    23 - Golf shop
    31 - Subway and school books store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Magnus wrote: »
    Alt Gr + a = á, same for éóí...

mmmm... æ e → ø

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

40 - Proactive, garda juvenille station, o'briens
    37 - Ulster Bank, adult shop, polski shop and marios
    39 - carparts, results, galway physio, winters, o'learys, LPM
    38 - mocha beans

really hard to tell on the map actually, alot of premises abandoned unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

At the eastern corner of 22 (centre point) is an Elverys, couple doors north from there (also 22 centre point) is ICE recruitment. Was driving through it yesterday, might be driving through it again in a couple days so will see what info I can get for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

part of 38 is "Galmac"
    part of 22 is "Elvery sports"
    part of 37 is "Marco's" (formerly known as "Mario's")
    part of 27 is "Nigel's bicycles"
    part of 31 is the Galway VEC I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,546 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Let me clarify a bit:

I'm not so much interested in which specific businesses are (currently) in each building. I will list some that are of high public interest or high navigation/visibility vaule, and I have a list of these based on a walk I did thru the estate one lunch-time.

But what I'm looking for is what areas are the industrial park, the retail park and the business park. Or perhaps some evidence that they're all the same.

d-gal: your .sig quotes your address as "12E Liosbaun Industrial Estate". What is this based on - where does the 12 come from? How does a visitor to the estate know how to distinguish your 12 from any others? where does the numbering start, and how high does it go? ('Cos I haven't been able to work out any pattern from the other addresses I've looked at so far)/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

JustMary wrote: »
    When people talk about the place that most maps call "Liosban industrial estate", they comes refer to
    • Liosban Business Park
    • Liosban Retail Park
    • Kilkerrin Park
    • And maybe some others that I don't know about.
    Is there any defined boundary between these? Or is is all one happy place?

I've tried looking at the district plan, cross referencing various business' published addresses with their locations, and looking at planning applications. But nothing seemed to add up.

Why? Well I've been trying to label the place in a way that makes it easier to find things within it. But really there are wayyy too many buildings for the one map - and besides I'm sure other people have looked for the areas within it too, and I'm hoping to create a lasting information resource for Galway, based on what people who live here need, rather than what tourists need (lots of other people are doing that already, far better than I can).

This is what I've got so far DRAFT-MAP in case having the numbers helps anyone to explain what parts are what.

PS apologies for the lack of fada's in this ... how do i make boards do 'em (without memorising the alt-key combos!) ????

Might be a BIT CONFUSING AS THE NUMBERS DO NOT CORRESPOND TO ADDRESSES.i WORK IN 22 BUT IT IS NOT CENTREPOINT!:eek:

nifheorais wrote: »
    Might be a BIT CONFUSING AS THE NUMBERS DO NOT CORRESPOND TO ADDRESSES.i WORK IN 22 BUT IT IS NOT CENTREPOINT!:eek:

Excellent point!

I'd much prefer to use existing numbering if it's there. How do I find out where the official number 22 is? (I couldn't see numbers when I walked around the other day looking for 'em).

Is there only one 22, or are there separate ones for the Business, Retail and Industrial parts of the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Our gym is located in the laneway between Jas Cunningham Electical Contractors and the Cash Factory BUT I don't have a clue what kind of number/correct address is. Can you imagine trying to explain to someone that doesn't know Liosbán where we actually are. Anyone got any idea how we find out what our actual number is???

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Block 40 (proactive etc) is addressed as Unit 3, Liosbaun Ind. Estate.

• Advertisement

gerkeo wrote: »
    Block 40 (proactive etc) is addressed as Unit 3, Liosbaun Ind. Estate.

Thanks Gerkeo.

I've been going through various business addresses, trying to find a relationship between the address they quote, and their physical location. Unfortunately I'm having real difficulty spotting a pattern. Will keep trying though, every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's madness, that place.

Do they have a management company that could shed some light onto it or is it a case of every building being managed by someone else and they're all so long there that they don't understand how @!#$ing confusing the place is?

I'm 99% sure it's not all one management company.

And I think you're right, the "ahh, sure'n everyone knows" factor is strong.

Liosbán is not much worse than other estates though. IMHO, the only one that gets any marks for signage is Briarhill Business Park ...
    (it must be run be foreigners).
    Ohhh ... I so didn't way that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Justmary it might be a bit of help to you but The Advertiser has a couple of pages focused on the Liosban Est in this weeks edition. It has a map done out to with the areas so could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

cant find unit 29 can anyone help please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Whats the name of the business?

red bull wrote: »
    cant find unit 29 can anyone help please

Unit numbers are no use at all in that estate, lots of different parks/building each with their own unique numbering scheme, and very few signs about which is which.

If you don't want to tell us where you're heading (STD clinic or whatever :D ) then ring the place and get directions from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

O'Dwyer & Associates

Advertisement