Best cafes/coffee houses/places to sit & chill for a while - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

03-01-2010, 20:57   #1
LucyBliss

Best cafes/coffee houses/places to sit & chill for a while

I feel hopelessly out of touch with Galway these days because for a long time now I've been helping to care for my grandmother, (who will be 101 next month). After finally hassling the relevant authorities, I've now got home help for a few hours most afternoons so I actually have some free time.

I just want to know a few places where I can sit and take it easy for a couple of hours with a cup of tea and a book, and not feel like the staff are going shoo me out the minute I finish eating.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2010, 21:02   #2
Das Kitty
(✿◠‿◠)

Java's are very laid back.

I really miss Cafe du Journal on Quay Street, used to wile away the hours in there years ago.

Last edited by Das Kitty; 03-01-2010 at 21:06.
03-01-2010, 21:41   #3
WooPeeA
Closed Account

I usually go to "G" if I need some relax. You can listen to some live piano there sometimes as well..
03-01-2010, 21:46   #4
rarnes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPeeA View Post
I usually go to "G" if I need some relax. You can listen to some live piano there sometimes as well..
How much is a coffee there? €20 ?
03-01-2010, 21:46   #5
ingalway

Ard Bia Cafe by the Spanish Arch is excellent, lovely atmosphere, great coffee/tea and the food is really good. Enjoy.
Advertisement
03-01-2010, 22:07   #6
WooPeeA
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarnes1 View Post
How much is a coffee there? €20 ?
Latte with some brownie costs me €5.
03-01-2010, 22:09   #7
Mrs OBumble

Most cafes would be too small for that, I think.

Lynch's on Shop St is large enough that you won't get chased out.

Maybe Providence on Abbeygate/Augustine Sts - it's got a front an back half, you're out of the staff's eyes in the back.

Not sure about the upstairs in the Born store - it'd be worth it for the view (on a nice day) though.

Maybe some pubs/hotels in the afternoon too: I did coffee in the Westwood (Newcastle) the other week, and I've been told that the Arduilaun (spelling? on Taylors Hill) is nice too.

A couple of hours might be pushing it in most places .. you may need to buy several cups of tea. Or be advertureous and try their coffee too

Or if you just want a place to sit, try the museum: they have some chairs overlooking the Corrib/Claddagh, 'tis a nice spot when the sun is shining.
03-01-2010, 22:42   #8
LucyBliss

Hah, don't worry, JustMary, I wasn't planning on nursing a cup of tea for half the day anywhere in town. I just meant somewhere I'd be able to drink at my leisure for a bit, which is a novelty for me when it happens because it's usually when I'm sitting down to eat or drink something that my grandmother decides she needs something!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I look forward to trying them over the coming weeks.
03-01-2010, 23:30   #9
inisboffin

House Hotel (foyer/front) is grand too for a chill coffee/tea. They have a €7 afternoon light menu (panini, burger/fish and chips even). They can be a bit slow to take your order but perfect for a lazy day with a friend or a paper

Front Door is grand in the afternoon too, if you aren't taking seats in a busy time.
Advertisement
04-01-2010, 00:38   #10
sells

neachtains is very good, nice warm quiet pub, with a fire, nice sats and old relaxed rustic feel...coffee and a book there is great...lovely music too.
04-01-2010, 00:40   #11
WesternNight

Java's is a nice relaxing place to have a coffee. It's my regular place.

Lynch's have lovely coffee, but it's not quite as cosy. Easier to get a table at peak times than Java's though.

The Home Gallery (upstairs in Born) is quite nice. It's different. They have lovely cakes and brownies and scones that you serve yourself. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not very private. There's also a proper cafe area downstairs but I've never been there. They do lunches and stuff as well as the coffee and cakes.

Haven't been to any of the others mentioned, so can't comment on those.

Enjoy your free time, by the way. My mother looked after my grandmother for 4 years when she moved up to live with us. Having been involved in a lot of it myself...I know how necessary those little breaks are.
04-01-2010, 00:47   #12
Kelda09

"Or if you just want a place to sit, try the museum: they have some chairs overlooking the Corrib/Claddagh, 'tis a nice spot when the sun is shining."

Sorry, dont know what happened, the quote didnt work...

Hi JustMary, where is the museum in Galway?
04-01-2010, 00:59   #13
WooPeeA
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelda09 View Post
Hi JustMary, where is the museum in Galway?
By the Spanish Arch, check out the map:

http://www.galwaycitymuseum.ie/location/
04-01-2010, 04:56   #14
brianthebard

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisboffin View Post
House Hotel (foyer/front) is grand too for a chill coffee/tea. They have a €7 afternoon light menu (panini, burger/fish and chips even). They can be a bit slow to take your order but perfect for a lazy day with a friend or a paper

Front Door is grand in the afternoon too, if you aren't taking seats in a busy time.
house hotel is a nice spot, as is the sushi place down the road from it. If you order a pot of tea they will give you a free top up, so you could be there for an hour or more at least just on a pot of tea-about 2.50 iirc.
04-01-2010, 11:03   #15
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBliss View Post
Hah, don't worry, JustMary, I wasn't planning on nursing a cup of tea for half the day anywhere in town.
In your situation ... I would! A coffee can last for 45-60 minutes ...

I've done quite a bit of travelling by myself, have got quite good at figuring out which places won't get stressed if you occupy a table with only one person, or for a bit longer than necessary.
Thread Closed