iphone cracked screen - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-12-2009, 12:35   #1
whiteshadow
Registered User
 
whiteshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: duberlin towen
Posts: 764
iphone cracked screen

So i dropped my iphone 3G 8GB,
luckily i was insured and picked up a new one yesterday
I still own the old one so have the option to pay for a screen replacement 70 euro. and then i could possibly sell it..?

So

Q1) How much could i sell it for? The place im getting it fixed also offers unlocking. Would it fetch more if it was unlocked?

Q2) Any ideas on how much i'd expect to get for it?

thanks
whiteshadow is offline  
Advertisement
18-12-2009, 17:12   #2
Rew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,040
Where you getting the screen done for 70? mate of mine just busted his
Rew is offline  
19-12-2009, 13:11   #3
Jax Teller
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,353
200 or 250 . Unlocking is so easy don't pay for it
edit
insurance fraud you naughty boy

Last edited by Jax Teller; 19-12-2009 at 13:16.
Jax Teller is offline  
19-12-2009, 13:14   #4
TiltedBrain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,290
i would of that the broken iphone would be your insurers property now???
TiltedBrain is online now  
21-12-2009, 14:28   #5
whiteshadow
Registered User
 
whiteshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: duberlin towen
Posts: 764
got it done in FM Mobiles on georges street
whiteshadow is offline  
Advertisement
22-12-2009, 11:06   #6
fattestman
Registered User
 
fattestman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cork
Posts: 230
Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?
fattestman is offline  
22-12-2009, 11:43   #7
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts
 
antodeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ballyfermot. Posts: 99,999
Posts: 8,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattestman View Post
Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?
How to repair the screen
antodeco is online now  
Thanks from:
22-12-2009, 12:07   #8
Lenny
Tallaght Scumbag
 
Lenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: out your back garden
Posts: 8,831
Send a message via MSN to Lenny
umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?
Lenny is offline  
22-12-2009, 13:18   #9
dodzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?
+1.

It is now an itouch with a broken screen
dodzy is offline  
Advertisement
22-12-2009, 13:22   #10
bigdogbarking
Registered User
 
bigdogbarking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On the Brink.....
Posts: 252
Can't you hide or erase your imei?
In theory?
I'm almost sure you could find a solution/software in google......
bigdogbarking is offline  
22-12-2009, 17:31   #11
Lenny
Tallaght Scumbag
 
Lenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: out your back garden
Posts: 8,831
Send a message via MSN to Lenny
It used to be possible on older phones alright 2 years back, but it was very very trickey changing it(getting a valid imei was the prob) but I don't know how it has gotten now.
your iphone might even have problems now connecting to itunes
Lenny is offline  
06-06-2010, 17:40   #12
JellyBeans92
Registered User
 
JellyBeans92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dundrum/Maynooth/Wexford
Posts: 435
iPhone Glass front smashed?!

Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.
JellyBeans92 is offline  
26-06-2010, 12:00   #13
kceire
Registered User
 
kceire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Dublin
Posts: 11,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeans92 View Post
Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.
FM mobile still charge €70 for replacement glass screen, supplied and fitted.
it looks so easy to DIY but i cant find the parts for less than 80 dollars online with zeetron.com but then you have to attempt it yourself.
kceire is offline  
26-06-2010, 15:35   #14
Kevin!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Killiney
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeans92 View Post
Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.


http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37189


30$ and should do the job ;] (I think)

Last edited by Kevin!; 26-06-2010 at 15:38.
Kevin! is offline  
26-06-2010, 19:22   #15
dougs09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dundalk
Posts: 257
is'nt the whole messing about with the imei number thing of your phone a serious criminal offence now, it ties in line with anti terrorism laws or summat?

at least thats what my mate tellls me lol
dougs09 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet