Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 09:10   #751
Zoney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWCommuter View Post
2. It creates the "illusion" that Transport 21 is actually in motion when its really just a mechanism for developmental announcements. The key difference is that in Dublin its mere planning and preconstruction works due to the real cost of serving millions, while in the west, its easy and cheap relaying of track to provide a pitiful service to thousands.
Actually that's a bit of an exaggeration - it is low hundreds of thousands (100-200,000 conservatively) in the Galway/Limerick regions and high hundreds of thousands (even if a bit past *one* million) that would be served by the developments in Dublin. Millions vs. thousands is not quite on the mark.
Zoney is offline  
Advertisement
06-07-2010, 09:20   #752
dynamick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 705
Phase 2 of the WRC is predicted to carry the same number of passengers in a year as the Luas does in a day.

Luas cost 13 time more but carries 365 times more people.

I'd love if the 60 million could be spent on Western public transport in a sensible way. bus lanes, cycle infrastructure, footpaths and lighting you could probably do a lot for 60 million instead of building a train service to carry 178 passengers a day.

Running near empty trains helps nobody.

As DWCommuter says, sadly this development looks very likely to happen as there is little else in the pipeline ready to build and so much planning has been done on it and it has all-party support.
dynamick is offline  
06-07-2010, 10:05   #753
DWCommuter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoney View Post
Actually that's a bit of an exaggeration - it is low hundreds of thousands (100-200,000 conservatively) in the Galway/Limerick regions and high hundreds of thousands (even if a bit past *one* million) that would be served by the developments in Dublin. Millions vs. thousands is not quite on the mark.
I was talking about passenger journies, not actual passengers. But thanks for being pedantic.
DWCommuter is offline  
06-07-2010, 16:27   #754
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWCommuter View Post
I hate to disagree with you Westtip, but this line will go ahead because;

1. Its low cost and appeases the western fraternity after years of "traditional" lobbying for the restoration of their "trean".

2. It creates the "illusion" that Transport 21 is actually in motion when its really just a mechanism for developmental announcements. The key difference is that in Dublin its mere planning and preconstruction works due to the real cost of serving millions, while in the west, its easy and cheap relaying of track to provide a pitiful service to thousands.

Thats politics!
Yes indeed DW, you are probably right; the flabby white boys will be able to puff their chests out on a photo op on 6.1 news and all claim glory for WOT will be a crap service that is not needed.
westtip is offline  
08-07-2010, 10:52   #755
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
do people from Gort or Ardrahan not travel to Galway then?
Yes of course they do - but not via Athenry!
westtip is offline  
Advertisement
08-07-2010, 20:52   #756
corktina
Registered User
 
corktina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: not sure
Posts: 16,411
and the people of Tuam? do they have a liking for the rural delights of Athenry?
corktina is offline  
10-07-2010, 14:22   #757
D'Peoples Voice
Registered User
 
D'Peoples Voice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamick View Post
Luas cost 13 times more but carries 365 times more people.

I'd love if the 60 million could be spent on Western public transport in a sensible way. bus lanes, cycle infrastructure, footpaths and lighting you could probably do a lot for 60 million instead of building a train service to carry 178 passengers a day.

Running near empty trains helps nobody.
I could not have articulated it any better myself.
The people of the West have been lied to/deceived numerous times over the past few generations - telling them that this or that will help their plight.
Yes perhaps this WRC will be built, but when it is, it will be to take these people's children to Shannon airport (well close to) in order to emigrate abroad because the Government will have again squandered resources.
Why, because of the lack of proper planning/imagination/research undertaken by those in power - all this Government did for the past 20 years or so is throw money at problems without looking for the proper solution for each problem!
FFS - at the last election we had Bertie boasting how much MORE money was being spent on the various services(no mention of performance), so I guess in that vein, this WRC makes sense, build it and the running costs will cost a fortune, but the Government can claim to be great because they are spending millions on public transport (all the while much needed infrastructure in the West goes on the long finger) and who cares if no-one uses it!
D'Peoples Voice is offline  
10-07-2010, 18:21   #758
foggy_lad
Registered User
 
foggy_lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Carlow
Posts: 14,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Peoples Voice View Post
I could not have articulated it any better myself.
The people of the West have been lied to/deceived numerous times over the past few generations - telling them that this or that will help their plight.
Yes perhaps this WRC will be built, but when it is, it will be to take these people's children to Shannon airport (well close to) in order to emigrate abroad because the Government will have again squandered resources.
Why, because of the lack of proper planning/imagination/research undertaken by those in power - all this Government did for the past 20 years or so is throw money at problems without looking for the proper solution for each problem!
FFS - at the last election we had Bertie boasting how much MORE money was being spent on the various services(no mention of performance), so I guess in that vein, this WRC makes sense, build it and the running costs will cost a fortune, but the Government can claim to be great because they are spending millions on public transport (all the while much needed infrastructure in the West goes on the long finger) and who cares if no-one uses it!
they threw money around but not at places like st brendans hospital st ita's or st senans in wexford where it was needed! http://www.independent.ie/health/lat...s-2223351.html
foggy_lad is offline  
10-07-2010, 19:52   #759
Aard
Moderator
 
Aard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamick View Post
I'd love if the 60 million could be spent on Western public transport in a sensible way. bus lanes, cycle infrastructure, footpaths and lighting you could probably do a lot for 60 million instead of building a train service to carry 178 passengers a day.

Running near empty trains helps nobody.
+1


I have never understood this preoccupation with rail. Can anybody succinctly explain why busses are not adequate for those in favour of the WRC?
Aard is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2010, 15:41   #760
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
+1


I have never understood this preoccupation with rail. Can anybody succinctly explain why busses are not adequate for those in favour of the WRC?
Indeed Aard this is the question that never gets asked, what would the proposed 60 million capex on Athenry Tuam branch line actually do if it were spent on the bus services between Galway and Tuam. Potentially an entire new fleet of buses, buses at more frequent times, late night bus services, buses to place where people want to go: Like Galway Airport, Retail parks and business parks. Of course this does Not even take account of the subvention required to keep the Athenry Tuam branch line open, in future years; god knows what those figures are. Add to that the level crossings on this line are actually going to slow down traffic on the N17, how is that going to help commuters and commercial traffic on this busy road? In fact i can feel a submission to ABP asking them to refuse permission on this basis and only granting permission when the road has been built......Now that would be a fly in the ointment!

The whole WRC agenda has been driven by one very vociferous and well managed pressure group and has little to do with the common man who lives in the west. It is about a toy train set for a small group of people.
westtip is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2010, 15:46   #761
DWCommuter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by westtip View Post
It is about a toy train set for a small group of people.
Who won't even use it.
DWCommuter is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2010, 18:15   #762
Judgement Day
Registered User
 
Judgement Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montserrat
Posts: 13,062
Build it and they will come at least I will - for my one trip northwards from Claremorris to Collooney - and then they can rip it up again.
Judgement Day is offline  
13-07-2010, 08:55   #763
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
Build it and they will come at least I will - for my one trip northwards from Claremorris to Collooney - and then they can rip it up again.
JD yes a wonderful idea and I will join you with a flagon of ginger beer.
westtip is offline  
Thanks from:
13-07-2010, 16:32   #764
pg633
Registered User
 
pg633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,571
I don't think the Tuam-Athenry section impacts the N17 - it would impact the Roscommon road (N63?)

Good point on the €60,000,000 - there are bus lanes into Claregalway now.

€60,000,000 would pay for some very fancy bus stops and busses to Parkmore, Ballybrit, the University etc.

Some of these are already provided by a private operator - Burkes Busses though I would like to see greater frequency and late busses etc.
pg633 is offline  
13-07-2010, 22:58   #765
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: County Sligo
Posts: 2,853
It will certainly hold up traffic in Tuam town centre, the N17 to my knowledge crosses the line on the crawl you generally do through tuam - admittedly the line then doew swing a long way east of the N17 in the direction of Athenry (I just wonder what the journey time Tuam/Athenry/Galway will be!) whilst the road does at least point in the direction of Galway. The real fun will start on the N17 north of Tuam - on the proposed Claremorris Tuam section - just how many times does the WRC cut over the n17 on that section 3? 4? 5? times No doubt someone can tell us - it would be a joke to have so many level crossings on a main trunk so one presumes the N17 will have to be re-developed first which will in reality kill this whole hairbrained project in any event, just as the new road to the south will spell the fast strangulation of the Limerick-Athenry - Galway branch line.

Last edited by westtip; 13-07-2010 at 23:00.
westtip is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet