Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I think Shane has had his 12-18 month spell in the sun, like so many guys very very few of them can sustain that level for much longer. Jamie Donaldson, Victor Dubisson(poor spelling)Jason Day and Danny Willet are just a few who spring to mind, who are in much the same boat as Lowry. They may get a decent finish or two but it's unlikely they'll reach their former ranking again. Still better to have been than never was which is where most guys on the tour are.

Jason Day

clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dr Devious

Yep I think a Day has had his moment in the sun, admittedly he probably is the best golfer that I mentioned. Personally I wouldn't miss him one bit, as slow as bejaysus on the course and quite prone to playing the sympathy card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Yep I think a Day has had his moment in the sun, admittedly he probably is the best golfer that I mentioned. Personally I wouldn't miss him one bit, as slow as bejaysus on the course and quite prone to playing the sympathy card.

Whats that got to do with you putting in the category of the players you mentioned.He's in a completely different league to the players you mentioned.

Day has won 1 major,2 WGCs,The players championship and 10 PGA tour titles overall.He's also finished in the top 5 in a major 8 times and been a world number 1.

Day has had a 7 year spell of being top quality, not a 12-18 month moment in the sun as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads what is up with Shane

He still is picking up good money - but he has gone seriously backwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Who knows. Can't seem to get a break.

Doesn't appear to be in the PGA field at the moment but he'll pick up easy money and points at wgc.

The longer it goes the harder it gets as the more you try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lads what is up with Shane

He still is picking up good money - but he has gone seriously backwards ?

Other priorities in his life. Previously he probably spent most of his free time working on his game. Now changing nappies and bottle feeds are in there. Combine that with the jet set lifestyle and its easy to see where the game might not be as sharp as it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rikand wrote: »
    Other priorities in his life. Previously he probably spent most of his free time working on his game. Now changing nappies and bottle feeds are in there. Combine that with the jet set lifestyle and its easy to see where the game might not be as sharp as it should be

Takes one to know one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Surprised to see him playing this week in what I assume is a change to his schedule. Good attitude if so and a good week is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Surprised to see him playing this week in what I assume is a change to his schedule. Good attitude if so and a good week is badly needed.

Great to see him making this effort - he's in a scrap for his card here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Steady as she goes today - 15 pars so far!

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great to see him making this effort - he's in a scrap for his card here.

Ah yes I guess the exemption from his WGC win expires after this season. He does seem to be playing conservatively and nice to see him birdie the 16th after 15 consecutive pars. Another par 5 at the last so hopefully a good end to his round.

Finished with three birdies - that'll help the confidence for tomorrow. He'll have a late tee off, so hopefully we will see him on TV.

Looks like he's blown it for the weekend - just had a double bogey and a bogey - two shots outside the likely cut line with just one hole to play. Disappointing.

Disaster again. Is he in the USPGA?

Don't think he is bar a win next week.

Not on any list I saw.

I saw he's suffering from trying to play on both tours and hoping back and forward the pond to much. I think he said two/three is enough so he'd fly back and forward.

If I was him I'd do the desert swing. Then base myself in USA until us open. Maybe wentworth come back for. Then back in Europe until the open. Back to USA for fed ex and then back to Europe until Dubai.

He has his own reasons and I respect that. Many of good pros have tried what he's doing and failed. It's just extra pressure

I think it is obviously an exciting time in his life with a young baby who I'm sure he wants to spend as much time with as possible. When the baby grows up a bit they can travel together as a family but at the moment it's understandably difficult to focus.

He needs one good performance to retain his card in the US. Not sure about his situation on the European tour but I'd assume he's comfortable. I don't think his game is in such bad shape but it's just taking one bad hole every week for the wheels to come off.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I think the top 100 in world rankings get in so he should be

70 are certain. Migh drift out to there. Like must pros that if you don't automatically qualify they you can't complain about missing out if an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

They always used to invite the top 100 in the OWGR, but it looks like they are now applying more clearly defined qualification criteria. It seems to be mainly based on performances on the PGA Tour over the past 12 months and OWGR ranking invitations appear to apply only to members of the most recent Ryder Cup teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2017-pga-championship-field

Looks to be in the field, that said his form is shot at the moment, I fear as mentioned above the pressure of living in Ireland and trying to play mainly in the US is not working for him.
    Given the personal life changes this year, he probably would have been better playing mainly in Europe this season and just playing Majors or WGC events in the US to keep the time away to a minimum but its all a balancing act and a learning curve for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Good 3 part head-to-head series on YouTube v Mark Crossfield published over last weekend. Well worth a watch and available on Crossfield's YouTube channel obviously enough. Shane comes across very well in it, as one might expect.

Link to part 1 -

https://youtu.be/CgHFifDcvGQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

endabob1 wrote: »
    https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2017-pga-championship-field

Looks to be in the field, that said his form is shot at the moment, I fear as mentioned above the pressure of living in Ireland and trying to play mainly in the US is not working for him.
    Given the personal life changes this year, he probably would have been better playing mainly in Europe this season and just playing Majors or WGC events in the US to keep the time away to a minimum but its all a balancing act and a learning curve for him.

Surprised Shane is not playing the WGC this week that he won in 2015. I thought there'd be some sort of past winners invite but evidently not. Remember last year he decided to go to defend his title which meant giving up a lot of ryder cup points.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Surprised Shane is not playing the WGC this week that he won in 2015. I thought there'd be some sort of past winners invite but evidently not. Remember last year he decided to go to defend his title which meant giving up a lot of ryder cup points.

He was 4th alternate this week...

Quintis wrote: »
    He was 4th alternate this week...

McDowell's US Open win being more relevant than Lowry winning this event two years ago is quite bizarre.

McDowell's US Open win being more relevant than Lowry winning this event two years ago is quite bizarre.

Saying that, below is the qualification criteria so I don't think they are any alternates per se...

• Playing members of the 2016 U.S. and European Ryder Cup teams.
    • The top 50 players, including any tied for 50th place, from the Official World Golf Ranking as of Monday, July 24, 2017 and Monday, July 31, 2017.
    • Winners of all ‘Official’ tournaments on the Federation Tours with a Strength of Field (SoF) rating of 115 or more calculated by the Official World Golf Ranking, played since the 2016 Bridgestone Invitational.
    • The winner of the following tournaments from each of the following Tours: Japan Golf Tour Championship (2017) and Bridgestone Open (2016) from the Japan Golf Tour; Australian PGA Championship (2016) from the Australasian Tour; Dimension Data Pro-Am (2017) from the Southern Africa Tour; and the TBD from the Asian Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yeah Kaymer and 1 other have pulled out but no one has replaced them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ronjo

AGC wrote: »
    Yeah Kaymer and 1 other have pulled out but no one has replaced them

Anyone know why?
    Kaymer is on that list of qualifiers but not in tee times as he isnt playing

It's also ridiculous that members of the Ryder cup teams are singled out. Basically Davis Love III and Thomas Bjorn picking a chunk of the field ( although they'd probably all have qualified anyway).

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    Anyone know why?
    Kaymer is on that list of qualifiers but not in tee times as he isnt playing

Shoulder injury for Kaymer...

https://www.facebook.com/MartinKaymer/

Advertisement