Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress) - Page 101 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2011, 02:27   #1501
Console
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden View Post
I saw this video last year, it was the worst mistake ever. Like the other poster i wish i could unsee this. I can read and watch things and never be affected in any way but this is the most disturbing video ever to be on the net. I couldnt sleep or eat for days after it ..........horrific!!

Just now, I came across a seemingly normal site just giving information about that picture shown in this tread. It linked to the video. Jesus... thats messed up. Only watched ten secs and switched it off. For anyone wondering what its all about. Dont bother finding out any info and dont even think about looking at the video.

There is some evil in this world.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2011, 08:50   #1502
Frada

Just deleted a load of off-topic posts of people whining and backseat modding. Last warning, cut it out.
23-05-2011, 00:04   #1503
Blisterman

Back on topic, to photos which changed the world.

This photo showing missile transporters and missile-ready tents in Cuba, among other brought the world the closest it's ever been to full nuclear war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis
23-05-2011, 12:42   #1504
MagicMarker

I'm surprised this didn't have more of an impact.

Quote:
After Rob Summers was paralyzed below the chest in a car accident in 2006, his doctors told him he would never stand again. They were wrong.

Despite intensive physical therapy for three years, Summers' condition hadn't improved. So in 2009, doctors implanted an electrical stimulator onto the lining of his spinal cord to try waking up his damaged nervous system. Within days, Summers, 25, stood without help. Months later, he wiggled his toes, moved his knees, ankles and hips, and was able to take a few steps on a treadmill.

"It was the most incredible feeling," said Summers, of Portland, Oregon. "After not being able to move for four years, I thought things could finally change."

Still, despite his renewed optimism, Summers can't stand when he's not in a therapy session with the stimulator turned on, and he normally gets around in a wheelchair. Doctors are currently limiting his use of the device to several hours at a time.

His case is described in a paper published Friday in the journal, Lancet. The research was paid for by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.

For years, certain people with incomplete spinal cord injuries, who have some control of their limbs, have experienced some improvement after experiments to electrically stimulate their muscles. But such progress had not been seen before in someone with a complete spinal cord injury.

"This is not a cure, but it could lead to improved functionality in some patients," said Gregoire Courtine, head of experimental neurorehabilitation at the University of Zurich. He was not connected to Summers' case. Courtine cautioned Summers' recovery didn't make any difference to the patient's daily life and that more research was needed to help paralyzed people regain enough mobility to make a difference in their normal routines.

The electrical stimulator surgeons implanted onto Summers' spinal cord is usually used to relieve pain and can cost up to $20,000. Summers' doctors implanted it lower than normal, onto the very bottom of his vertebrae.

"The stimulator sends a general signal to the spinal cord to walk or stand," said Dr. Susan Harkema, rehabilitation research director at the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center in Louisville and the Lancet study's lead author.

Harkema and her colleagues were surprised Summers was able to voluntarily move his legs. "That tells us we can access the circuitry of the nervous system, which opens up a whole new avenue for us to address paralysis," Harkema said. She said prescribing drugs might also speed recovery.

Dr. John McDonald, director of the International Center for Spinal Cord Injury at Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, said the strategy could be rapidly adopted for the 10 to 15 percent of paralyzed patients who might benefit. He was not connected to the Summers case.

"There is no question we will do this for our patients," he said. McDonald added that since the electrical stimulators are already approved for pain relief, it shouldn't be difficult to also study them to help some patients regain movement.

For now, Summers does about two hours a day of physical therapy.

"My ultimate goal is to walk and run again," he said. "I believe anything is possible and that I will get out of my wheelchair one day."
25-05-2011, 23:21   #1505
MoyVilla9

The Execution, and Re-Execution of Willie Francis

The picture may not seem shocking, but the story is (at least it is to me), and thus makes the picture shocking.

Willie Francis was a black juvenile offender sentenced to death by electrocution by the state of Louisiana in 1945 (at age 16) for murdering Andrew Thomas, a Cajun pharmacy owner in St. Martinville who had once employed him.

On May 3, 1946, the electric chair failed to kill Willie Francis. Witnesses reported hearing the teenager scream from behind the leather hood, "Take it off! Take it off! Let me breathe!" as the supposedly lethal surge of electricity was being applied. Another report states that he called out, "I'm n-not dying!"

Gruesome Gertie, it was in this same very chair that Elmo Patrick Sonnier (the inmate on whom the film Dead Man Walking was based) died in.

After an unsuccessful appeal to the Supreme Court on behalf of Francis, which was led by the victims best friend (much to the dismay of the town), Francis was once again electrocuted six days later. It has inspired a film called "Willie Francis Must Die Again".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Francis
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2011, 10:23   #1506
triseke

that should have a nsfw tag man!
26-05-2011, 10:32   #1507
LimerickCity

On the topic of botched executions check out Allen Lee Davis formerly of Florida. It might not have shook the world but it certainly shook the United States. As a result of this bothced execution, the electric chair was banned in the state and the judge in the aftermath case made the pictures public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Lee_Davis

Horrific pictures from the botched execution. NSFW.
http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/.../558cdavis.jpg
http://www.oranous.com/florida/AllenLeeDavis/95973b.jpg
http://www.realogrish.com/attachment...avis-davis1jpg
(2) thanks from:
26-05-2011, 10:33   #1508
LimerickCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by triseke View Post
that should have a nsfw tag man!
Corrected. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks from:
26-05-2011, 19:57   #1509
Mousey-
Closed Account

couple of photos of the queens visit
Link!!

Last edited by Mousey-; 27-05-2011 at 10:35.
Advertisement
26-05-2011, 20:44   #1510
Cookie33

Bosnian War 1992 - 1995

More Pics: http://genocideinbosnia.wordpress.com/

I started researching this since Ratko Mladic has been arrested after 16 years on the run. He was the Bosnian Serb army chief during the Bosnian War and is facing a war crimes tribunal for 15 counts including genocide charges over the killing of approx 7500 Bosnian Muslin men and boys in 1995. Also the order of raping up to 20,000 women

Serbian paramilitaries kick and kill Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) civilians on the streets of Bijeljina on 31 March 1992, the first day of the Bosnian war.

Findings of some of the massacres taken in Srebrenica

Srebrenica Potocari Memorial (where Mladic committed genocide)

Summary of deaths

More info in pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13558521

Detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_War
27-05-2011, 22:36   #1511
Lab_Mouse
Closed Account

if anyone is interested there was a great series done by the bbc called the fall of yugoslavia.Great series and gives the whole story of the horror that was the balkans war

heres the first episode
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4596613878002#
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2011, 23:55   #1512
andyterryjay

Before my time but I do know it's a photo that shook the world. Picture of Phan Thị Kim Phúc and other children as they run from their village which was just napalmed.

28-05-2011, 00:00   #1513
andyterryjay

This picture needs no description. If people are complaining about there having been no apology from the queen, I think this was her way of showing her regret.

Thanks from:
28-05-2011, 15:29   #1514
upandcumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyterryjay View Post
This picture needs no description. If people are complaining about there having been no apology from the queen, I think this was her way of showing her regret.
Apology for what?
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2011, 16:24   #1515
Donny5
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlermac View Post
whos gonna bite???anyone??
Apology for not drinking the pint!

(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold