SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off - Page 9 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-02-2012, 12:53   #121
Edg3

I got my information from MY experience. My camera is registered here in Europe and covered by the warranty. I spoke directly to Canon who actually told me to go to another company in Dublin, but they told me when i contacted them that unless I was a business/professional they couldnt do anything for me which is fine.

Overall this is an issue you will have with buying online, inhouse repairs especially can be a long and tedious problem, one ive had many times!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 20:47   #122
bogmonster

cancelled my order yesterday, in hindsight should have done it long ago. SE stated they would lodge money into paypal. Will see how long that takes.
Still on the market for a motorola defy plus but after that experience nervous about other online stores.
08-02-2012, 20:58   #123
Edg3

Yeah its pretty annoying waiting for it. You should try amazon.de I buy everything there these days!
Pity you couldnt get it off simply!
13-02-2012, 09:17   #124
SelMic

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

I ordered my husbands Kindle in May 2011, it arrived in Aug 2011, after many confusing phone calls and emails. It broke 3 weeks later, was sent back and they were willing to repair it. They reposted it in Nov but with inadequate postal instructions so was held in a depot in Ireland until it was posted back to America. After several emails they finally informed me that they were replacing the Kindle and placing a new one on order in Feb 2012!!!!!! They have yet to post it!!!!!
13-02-2012, 15:12   #125
bogmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmonster View Post
cancelled my order yesterday, in hindsight should have done it long ago. SE stated they would lodge money into paypal. Will see how long that takes.
Still on the market for a motorola defy plus but after that experience nervous about other online stores.

Just received money back into my credit card from SE, think i was fortunate i used paypal...
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 21:25   #126
grayman

Wow a lot of comments on these guys ~I placed an order last week and payed through paypal. Needless to say i heard nothing from them but thought nothing of it till i searched SE and read the bad stuff about them.

I got on to paypal straight away and within 1 hour i had the money back in my account.

So i suppose if you want to buy from them use paypal so at least you have a come back.

Personally I would never use again after reading all the bad stuff. I have since went on to ebay and bought the same item from the UK for 20 euro less so if you shop around you will find what you're looking for at the right price.
17-03-2012, 15:04   #127
Edg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayman View Post
Wow a lot of comments on these guys ~I placed an order last week and payed through paypal. Needless to say i heard nothing from them but thought nothing of it till i searched SE and read the bad stuff about them.

I got on to paypal straight away and within 1 hour i had the money back in my account.

So i suppose if you want to buy from them use paypal so at least you have a come back.

Personally I would never use again after reading all the bad stuff. I have since went on to ebay and bought the same item from the UK for 20 euro less so if you shop around you will find what you're looking for at the right price.
Thing is of course your only gunna hear bad things here, bar mine i think. This was started to complain about them so everyone will jump in to have a go. Ive never had any issues with them, but i have had several with amazon, including accepting my order, taking money then later telling me the items cant be shipped outside the UK or Germany to me, even though they'd taken my money already and left me waiting 3 days before telling me.
At the end of the day, buying online you do take a risk, and they only reason i started buying off simply electronics was because of the price. They've always been kind and friendly and helpful to me so some people have bad experiences and others dont. Im sure if you started a "Simply Electronics is a good website" topic you;d get people who'd a good time. Least you got to cancel you order and find it elsewhere shopping around is the best way to do it
22-03-2012, 00:39   #128
colly3

Are they ALL the same?

Some food for thought on this thread guys!!

I've never used SE, was intending to earlier today so decided to do a quick search first and after trawling through 9 pages of misery here (bar the odd positive experience) I think I might just hang fire for now. As tempting as their prices are (a good two hundred quid cheaper than I can find locally) I don't think the anxiety and stress would be worth it.

Just wondering if any of you have any feedback (negative or positive) on Pixmania (the next best competitor, price wise). I am not sure, so here's the question I am hoping to have answered... are Pixmania in some far flung corner of Hong Kong or China? There are 2 delivery methods - €10.99 for 4 to 5 day postal service or €21.99 for UPS 24 - 48 hour service. There is a line at the bottom of the item I'm looking for, it states an adaptor is needed for Ireland and that this is supplied.

Thanks for any useful tips.
22-03-2012, 07:03   #129
grayman

I have used pixmania twice found them good the delivery was quick although I did pay extra for it. Not sure where they are based but I did hear it was somewhere in Europe but don't quote me on that.
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 09:59   #130
colly3

Grayman, thanks for that, I'm still mulling over what to do - it seems like it's pot luck with SE, knowing my luck, I'll be one of those who has wall to wall issues! Thanks again
26-03-2012, 09:34   #131
derekeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly3 View Post

I've never used SE, was intending to earlier today so decided to do a quick search first and after trawling through 9 pages of misery here (bar the odd positive experience) I think I might just hang fire for now. As tempting as their prices are (a good two hundred quid cheaper than I can find locally) I don't think the anxiety and stress would be worth it.

Just wondering if any of you have any feedback (negative or positive) on Pixmania (the next best competitor, price wise). I am not sure, so here's the question I am hoping to have answered... are Pixmania in some far flung corner of Hong Kong or China? There are 2 delivery methods - €10.99 for 4 to 5 day postal service or €21.99 for UPS 24 - 48 hour service. There is a line at the bottom of the item I'm looking for, it states an adaptor is needed for Ireland and that this is supplied.

Have used pixmania several times. Never had a problem with order, delivery or product. I would easily recommend them. last product i bought was a Samsung Galaxy S2 for €449. Delivered in a week and is a great phone!
Thanks from:
27-03-2012, 14:57   #132
cbyrne11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly3 View Post

Have you tried Amazon.de? If you use google chrome or have the google toolbar on your browser it will translate it for you, was buying a phone recently and it worked out similar prices to simply electronics worth a look anyway. Although you might only get the manuals in German but then the internet can fill in the blanks for anything you don't know how to do.

I have used pixmania before as well and don't have a bad word to say about them.
Thanks from:
27-03-2012, 22:44   #133
colly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrne11 View Post
Have you tried Amazon.de? If you use google chrome or have the google toolbar on your browser it will translate it for you, was buying a phone recently and it worked out similar prices to simply electronics worth a look anyway. Although you might only get the manuals in German but then the internet can fill in the blanks for anything you don't know how to do.

I have used pixmania before as well and don't have a bad word to say about them.
Hi guys

Derekeire, thanks for the thumbs up on pixmania, they're now firmly out of the race due to price.

Cybyrne - amazone.de has some great bargains for accessories, I didn't bother with the translater / chrome, it's pretty easy to work out from the titles, what's included (and apart from that, I don't really like chrome - I'm far too old fashioned to join the 21st century!!)

I'm still gathering the last few bob together to buy and now have my heart and soul set on a dearer package than I initially wanted. Prices are fluctuating daily from site to site but I've more or less narrowed the search down to two - digitalrev & onestop digital. Pretty good reviews (please god don't let me the first negative!!) Anyway, I just need to pinch a few more pennies before taking the plunge but thanks a million for your tips.
28-03-2012, 00:08   #134
zinzan

Wish I'd seen this thread last week - camera I bought off pixmania is 30 euro cheaper on amazon.de!! Aaaarrgghh! Have never thought of checking .de before, always have a look at amazon.com and .co.uk prior to purchase though.

Having said that, I've never had issues with pixmania - have bought tvs and camera off them without issue, though with one tv I had to remind them to send on uk/irl adaptor.

I have previously contacted simply electronics as I had concerns about import duty etc., esp. As they claim to organise such things from their end. I got a prompt response explaining that they 'don't charge VAT' allowing them to have low prices, so IMHO, basically there is a high chance of getting stung for duty/VAT on anything bought from them and so I went elsewhere.
28-03-2012, 09:19   #135
colly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
Wish I'd seen this thread last week - camera I bought off pixmania is 30 euro cheaper on amazon.de!! Aaaarrgghh! Have never thought of checking .de before, always have a look at amazon.com and .co.uk prior to purchase though.

Having said that, I've never had issues with pixmania - have bought tvs and camera off them without issue, though with one tv I had to remind them to send on uk/irl adaptor.

I have previously contacted simply electronics as I had concerns about import duty etc., esp. As they claim to organise such things from their end. I got a prompt response explaining that they 'don't charge VAT' allowing them to have low prices, so IMHO, basically there is a high chance of getting stung for duty/VAT on anything bought from them and so I went elsewhere.
Zinzan, I mailed SE too, the greeeeeedy streak in me wanted to test the waters, I too got a prompt reply but it was one of those generic, one size fits all mails that really didn't float my boat... they don't charge VAT etc, etc, etc. The old adage sprang to mind, if it looks too good to be true..

Pixmania seem to be fairly reliable but in my case, the camera and lens is €186 dearer than the next best price. The two online suppliers I've contacted replied to my mails with full detailed answers and I'm happy enough to go with either. Also checked them out on shopzilla, trust pilot & ekomi and the ratings are pretty high. Must admit though, I'll be looking at amazon.de next time I'm buying anything, I was very impressed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion