SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2009, 20:02   #1
DanGlee

SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off

Just a quick rant/moan/observation.

I was just looking to see where I could buy the new Nokia E72 and found Simplyelectronics.net and it was listed for £309 (full price, inc delivery) Bargain I thought!

But you have to register to buy from them, so I registers and put in my irish address. When I got back to the checkout page, it had updated it with euros because it knew I was in Ireland, but also updated the price to €409.

So I opened a second tab, little bit of www.xe.com and £309 converts to €343?

Thats an addition €66 for being in Ireland?

Wont be buying the phone from them anyway!!!

Just thought I would share!

DG.
Advertisement
22-11-2009, 20:22   #2
EKRIUQ

The only way that these company will learn is if all their Irish trade drys up and even then I don't know if they really care that much.
23-11-2009, 00:38   #3
dudara
Category Moderator

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara
23-11-2009, 00:46   #4
PCPhoto

did you happen to do some research on the reputation of the company when you saw your "Bargain" price ?
23-11-2009, 01:35   #5
ejmaztec

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPhoto View Post
did you happen to do some research on the reputation of the company when you saw your "Bargain" price ?
Another infamous organisation with a multitude of complaints against them.
Advertisement
23-11-2009, 19:34   #6
tigger1962

as someone who "shopped" with them in the past... i won't do it again... They are actually based in hongkong!! see their terms and conditions! They were caught out recently at their uk address which turned out the be a house in an estate... they've recently moved their uk address to the Isle of man!

Check out AVforums for more info on them
25-11-2009, 11:22   #7
MarysCross

Always worth checking aboutus.org to see where their actually based, I made the mistake of buying useless knock of trainers form china in the past. Yeah learn.
03-01-2010, 01:12   #8
captainscarlet

They might have added our rate of tax onto that. Amazon does the same, substituting the UK 16% tax with Ire 21%.
03-02-2010, 08:58   #9
Electric Fish

Simply Electronics

Hi.

I purchased a G12 camera from Simply Electronics on 13/01/10 (and still hope to have it before the G13 is released)as they had four units available on their website. I had Today, 21 days later, despite their promise of a usual 3 to 10 day delivery turnaround I still have not received delivery...(although DHL have confirmed this am that a package arrived for me this morning). I bought the item on the recommendation of a (now former!)friend.... E-mails to the Company elicited half truths and excuses. Sometimes, it seems, a good proven service record is worth paying a little extra for.
Advertisement
17-06-2010, 20:00   #10
loughlip

Do you have an email for simply electronics?

I need to hassle them.
17-06-2010, 22:52   #11
richardw001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGlee View Post
Just a quick rant/moan/observation.

I was just looking to see where I could buy the new Nokia E72 and found Simplyelectronics.net and it was listed for £309 (full price, inc delivery) Bargain I thought!

But you have to register to buy from them, so I registers and put in my irish address. When I got back to the checkout page, it had updated it with euros because it knew I was in Ireland, but also updated the price to €409.

So I opened a second tab, little bit of www.xe.com and £309 converts to €343?

Thats an addition €66 for being in Ireland?

Wont be buying the phone from them anyway!!!

Just thought I would share!

DG.
just on the e72 - you can get it cheaper than that from an irish company - 260 euro - maxroam - I got it from them at less that that actually however thats probably best not brought up again in boards.ie
17-06-2010, 23:07   #12
Electric Fish

Simply a rip off

E-Mail addresses you can use are
SimplyElectronics Support Team <info@simplyelectronics.net>
or as they quoted me

"If you have any questions about your order, please feel free to contact us at" info@simplyelectronics.net.

ha ha...........enjoy
19-06-2010, 09:56   #13
pleasant Co.
delightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscarlet View Post
They might have added our rate of tax onto that. Amazon does the same, substituting the UK 16% tax with Ire 21%.
The UK's VAT rate is 17.5% again, lower than here but not by so much.
22-06-2010, 11:14   #14
keithclancy

Plus i've never, ever managed to get anything close to the XE.com rate (as its market rate not consumer)
27-06-2010, 22:12   #15
Qwikpix

Simply Electronics' customer service may be open to improvement in view of the number of complaints one reads about them.

However I have bought two Canon lenses from them and received excellent service. The first lens was a Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 which was bought over a year ago and delivered on time, well packed and at a lower price than I could obtain elsewhere. A photo from this lens of a heron in a tree in the Botanic Gardens is on www.flickr.com/qwikpix. The heron was about 50 feet up a tree that was over 50 yards away from me.

The second lens was a Canon 70-300mm which I bought some months ago for a very good price. Photos with this lens of a duck on the Corrib and two cats are also on flickr. SE may be a Hong Kong company but the two lenses were delivered by road transport from the UK by DHL.

I have just ordered a Canon 50mm 1.4 from them. If any difficulties arise I will post the details here. Based on my previous experiences, I don't expect any. I have paid by credit card through Google Checkout.

Qwikpix

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion