Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-11-2009, 14:52   #16
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Is you engine temp gauge sitting at its normal operating temp? If the engine is not heating up then your thermostat could be stuck open and allowing the coolant to circulate all the time and not allowing the engine to heat up, therefore you would have little or no heat.
Yeah temp gauge rises to middle as normal...
Advertisement
10-11-2009, 14:54   #17
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinDilbert View Post
+1

Also does your heater improve when your sitting stopped in traffic for a few mins?
No, it seems to stay at a constant level...just luke warm.

Also, coolant overflow was down to a bit over min recently, but topped that up and saw no improvement.

Bogey thermostat maybe??
10-11-2009, 15:19   #18
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlast View Post

Bogey thermostat maybe??
If your engine is operating at its normal temp then its not a thermostat problem.

Thermostat problems usually cause the engine to either overheat or as I mentioned before not heating up depending what position they get stuck in.
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2009, 15:37   #19
DublinDilbert

Quote:

Also, coolant overflow was down to a bit over min recently, but topped that up and saw no improvement.

Bogey thermostat maybe??
If it was a faulty thermostat staying open, when you stop and let the car idle the internal heater would start to warm up.

There could also be an airlock in the internal heater, depending on the design of the system the air might need to be bleed off (just like your radiators at home). Some one else here might know if the corrola has a bleeder valve on the internal heater, it would typically be on the pipes in the engine bay before they pass through the firewall.

If there is air in the heater matrix you more than likely have a small leak somewhere in the system.
Thanks from:
10-11-2009, 16:15   #20
rccaulfield

Quote:

Bogey thermostat maybe??
You could be gettng closer to cause then- air in system imo! On bikes i remove rad cap and let engne run till gurglng stops/coolant approaches top-Careful tho! Not sure if this helps on your model of car!

Last edited by rccaulfield; 10-11-2009 at 16:17.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-11-2009, 17:06   #21
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccaulfield View Post
You could be gettng closer to cause then- air in system imo! On bikes i remove rad cap and let engne run till gurglng stops/coolant approaches top-Careful tho! Not sure if this helps on your model of car!
Someone actually recommended this on the owners club site...must give it a try. Is it just the expansion tank lid i remove or the rad cap aswell??
10-11-2009, 17:22   #22
nox001

Quote:
Someone actually recommended this on the owners club site...must give it a try. Is it just the expansion tank lid i remove or the rad cap aswell??
There should be a bleed screw for the cooling system, its on the expansion tank in my car but not sure for yours. Do a search and you should find its location.

When you find it, turn the car on and turn the heat up to the last, then take of the cap on the expansion tank and open the bleed screw(not too much) until the coolant flows. When the coolant flows out without bubbles the air should be out of the system. You might have to add extra coolant as you will lose some bleeding the system.

Last edited by nox001; 10-11-2009 at 19:23.
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2009, 17:52   #23
samih

Quote:
Took out the glove box and the two pipes behind are roasting...
Coolant circulation to the matrix appears grand so. I don't know about Corolla but in many cars the heater knob actually controls a flap that blocks the fresh cabin air coming through the always hot heater matrix.

You'll need to locate a big flap somewhere close to the matrix (follow the pipes you mentioned) and then see if turning your knob :-) has any effect. The flap may be electrically or mechanically controlled.

If worst comes to worst you can open the flap by hand a bit so that you get some heat in the cabin until you get it fixed properly.
Thanks from:
10-11-2009, 18:36   #24
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samih View Post
Coolant circulation to the matrix appears grand so. I don't know about Corolla but in many cars the heater knob actually controls a flap that blocks the fresh cabin air coming through the always hot heater matrix.

You'll need to locate a big flap somewhere close to the matrix (follow the pipes you mentioned) and then see if turning your knob :-) has any effect. The flap may be electrically or mechanically controlled.

If worst comes to worst you can open the flap by hand a bit so that you get some heat in the cabin until you get it fixed properly.
Just to add...there is definately a difference(from cold to luke warm) between the low and hot(max) when I change the temperature.

BTW its a climate control / a/c system if that makes a difference...pic
Advertisement
10-11-2009, 19:04   #25
samih

As I said I don't know how the heater is controlled on Corolla but if (both) heater pipes get hot then the matrix will be hot too and there's an obstruction somewhere.

Your ventilation controls looks fancy. You can try to listen if there are any noises from inside the dash with the blower fan off when you change the temp setting. As I said before try to locate the element that that controls the warm air coming in and see if something is jammed. The fact that the temp changes a little bit would suggest that the control partially works.

It's very leafy time at the moment. Could leaves or some other debris have made it in your heater, especially if the intake filter has been removed at some stage? There will be two different paths for the air to come in you cabin, one through the matrix and the other bypassing it. Is there any difference in volume of air coming in between the cold and hot settings? That could indicate that one of the paths may be blocked by leaves.

Good luck, I'll stop my speculating here. I'm sure Mr. Toyota will help you to fix it.
Thanks from:
10-11-2009, 19:09   #26
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samih View Post
Good luck, I'll stop my speculating here. I'm sure Mr. Toyota will help you to fix it.
Cheers lad, cant afford to be going near him!! Have it booked into my man at the weekend anyway but just like to learn about these things myself.
11-11-2009, 20:38   #27
agemenage

Let me Know!

Hello I have an 03 corolla T-sport with what sounds like the exact same problem all the same symptoms and effects.
i have not tried to find a bleed yet but will check that out this weekend.
if your garage chap manages to find and hopefully fix your problem could you let me know what it was?
the weather is getting cold !!

Cheers
11-11-2009, 20:49   #28
Tipsy Mac

Are you using Auto so the climate control is working to heat/cool the car to that particular temperature or is it the same if you try just using the fan and heat settings instead?
Thanks from:
12-11-2009, 20:20   #29
AzureAuto
Banned

Lets look at this problem logically,
You're saying that the two pipes behind the glovebox, i.e. the feed and return from the heater matrix are roasting. Therefore we can assume two things. Firstly there is good circulation within the cooling system and secondly because both pipes are hot, the heater matrix is not blocked. Therefore you need to look at the manner in which the heat is distributed into the cabin. On your model corolla, the climate control switches operate mixer flaps in your heating ducts. They mix fresh cool air from outside the car with warm air blown across the heater matrix by the blower fan unit.
My money is that one of the servos for the mixture control flaps has failed, leaving it partially stuck in the fresh air position, regardless of ehat temp you have diale into the control panel.
Gonna be a bit of dismantling involved though.
If you're based in the Kildare/Dublin area, im a mobile mechanic and could pay you a visit...
Thanks from:
12-11-2009, 21:23   #30
deadlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agemenage View Post
Hello I have an 03 corolla T-sport with what sounds like the exact same problem all the same symptoms and effects.
i have not tried to find a bleed yet but will check that out this weekend.
if your garage chap manages to find and hopefully fix your problem could you let me know what it was?
the weather is getting cold !!

Cheers
Will do lad. Have a look over at this thread in the Toyota owners club, few lads having the same problem:- http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...howtopic=76133

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion