Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celebrating All Things Belfast

Options
  • 02-11-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I am just posting a few positives reasons why I love my city!!! Feel free to add to the list!!! But...please keep it positive!!! :D

1) Compared to other cities the ease at which you can move from one part of the city to the other is astonishing!!! Traffic aint that big of an issue!!!
    2) You can get a round of drinks for 5 people in city centre bar for about £18 (30 Euros in Mayo for 5 people)...a round of 5 shots for maybe £15 (25 Euros in Dublin)...cheap-drink.com!!!
    3) It has had a chequered past...but people are working together to positively change things!!!
    4) The people are friendly for it being a city and capital!!!
    5) The people know how to have a good time...and more importantly can laugh at themselves!!!
    6) We have awesome local slang like "weeker"..."mucker"...my pals from down south love it!!!

To be continued....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

7) I think we have pretty remarkable City Hall...haven't seen the new refurbished inside...but from the outside on a sunny day with the grassy area and all...I'm proud of it!!!
    8) My father-in-law who lived in London and now lives down south...he is always remarking when he is up how despite being a city we are blessed with the hills that surround us on one side...Cavehill, Colin, Blackmountain, Divis etc.
    9) You can get a Norn Irish pastie after a night out...you can't get them in the Republic or on the mainland!!! Delicious!!! :D
    10) In the morning (after a session) you have can have an Ulster Fry...including soda, potato bread and veg rolls!!!...items not often found anywhere else on the breakfast table outside Northern Ireland!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fair play. Nice to see someone post about the positives of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

5 shots for £15?? Where are you going?
    Eg - 6 shots for £6!

5 shots for £15 was just a figure I kinda estimated just to be on the safe side...covering all establishments in Belfast such as the Apartment, Ollies, Cafe Vadeuville...I'm usually drunk when get shots so I never really do the maths to work out what they cost!!! Maybe I just have too much money!!! :D
    Haven't been to the Eg for years...but if drink there is that cheap...I should pay it a visit soon!!! :)
    Unfortunately I do most of my drinking these days down south...so I get stroked all the time!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I hear great things about Belfast. I keep meaning to head up to Ravenhill for a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

muffler wrote: »

Why do you need to post that comment. You posting that makes it look like we need to talk about postives. Which we dont by the way.

Ass clown! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

I love my city because its not full of ****ing paranoid southerners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Why do you need to post that comment. You posting that makes it look like we need to talk about postives. Which we dont by the way.

Ass clown! :mad:

Mr Tombstone...Muffler is on our side I think here...he doesn't mean any harm!!! :)
    He very kindly ended a thread on this forum that was entering in to all sorts of paranoia with regards visitors (southerners in particular) to Belfast!!!
    I started this thread on the back of that...just to big-up my city!!! :cool:

Deedsie wrote: »
    I hear great things about Belfast. I keep meaning to head up to Ravenhill for a game.

I live in Belfast and I've yet to attend an Ulster game at Ravenhill!!! :(
    My excuse though is I'm not in Belfast most weekends!!!
    Have the replica shirt and all...it has been to 2 bloody games more than me!!! :) Lent it to my pal you see!!!
    I understand the atmosphere is class on a Friday evening!!! You should come up and sample it!!!

Paul4As wrote: »
    Mr Tombstone...Muffler is on our side I think here...he doesn't mean any harm!!! :)
    He very kindly ended a thread on this forum that was entering in to all sorts of paranoia with regards visitors (southerners in particular) to Belfast!!!
    I started this thread on the back of that...just to big-up my city!!! :cool:
    Pay no heed to him. He wont be back.

I know genuine Belfast people who think a lot and take pride in their city and rightfully so. Its just a pity that people like him lower the standards a nick on a discussion forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP- Excellent thread idea- as a Southerner, have been up there many times in the last 20 years but especially over the last 3/4 years.

11. Cullooden Hotel and their dinner & bedrooms

12. The big Christmas fair at city hall with all that food - Yum

13. Smiling staff in shops and restaurants.

14. Sterling- as long as it remains weak against Euro, may it never join the EU :D

15. Ulster folk park, but actually, it's the transport muesum that's just amazing.

16. Soda Bread for Breakfast- you just don't get it that often down here

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Pay no heed to him. He wont be back.

You banned him? Tad harsh. I can see where he was coming from, he just didn't express it very eloquently.

There are no social problems here that are any greater than parts of Dublin. Suffice to say that I've had to make rapid exits from parts of Ballymun, Finglas West etc on many more occasions than my southern gf has had to try evasive manoeuvres in NI.

Your comment would be the equivalent of me goin on the Dublin board with something along the lines of bejaysus begorrah sure yous are all grand after all...

You banned him? Tad harsh.
    Oh really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

17. Big city feel but small enough to walk around and have everything close by.

18. Parking in the city is relatively cheap still so you can bring the car into town for work/shopping without it costing the earth.

19. Having a couple of unis in close proximity means a good mixed crowd and lots of stuff to entertain you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

20.Architectural style of many of the buildings, especially Queens Uni

21. The pedestrianisation of many of the main shopping streets- it may have come out of a time where necessity required it to be that way ?, but it's a proven method of making a city more accessible and pleasant to it's citizens.

22. Views of the city from the 5th Storey of the Hilton hotel, at nighttime (or the Big Wheel )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

23. Belfast Castle and the view of the city from McArt's fort - or Napoleon's Nose, not to mention the view from the Horseshoe Bend as you come in from Aldergrove Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

I was born there and still love the place the only reason i moved was because i married an american women (no smart comments please:D)
    Thinking of moving back in a while

Advertisement