Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

14-11-2010, 22:22   #796
chinguetti

I'ld visit the physio for piece of mind. And to do in your spare time, a good book or perhaps time for a bit of cooking
Advertisement
14-11-2010, 23:03   #797
littlebug
Closed Account

Sorry to hear about your foot meno
When I had my funny toe thing going on last year my GP gave me a letter in which he may have exaggerated my pain and sent me off into A&E telling me to tell them how much pain I was in ... instant x ray and result before I left the hospital. I had to go back a week later to get it x rayed again (due to stress fractures taking time to show up). They even called me in a 3rd time. All it cost was the GP charge and gave me peace of mind within a week that there was no stress fracture.
Thanks from:
15-11-2010, 09:48   #798
kennyb3

I'd go to the physio too, no point sitting around for a week wondering what it is or isnt. Plus any decent physio will speed up the recovery process significantly.

A break now is no bad thing anyway, will keep you running injury free next year. Everybody should have a few weeks off season imho to keep them fresh and make them realise they miss running.
Thanks from:
15-11-2010, 10:18   #799
jcsmum

Really sorry to hear about your injury, hope you get better real soon.
Thanks from:
15-11-2010, 15:38   #800
pgmcpq

Sorry to hear this meno, but hopefully the rest will take care of it an you'll come back buzzing, I'm beginning to regret not taking a longer break post Dublin.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2010, 16:30   #801
tunguska

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoscemo View Post
I have been mulling over the advice given. I am really not sure it is a break now, it could easily be a tendon issue as well. I have decided to save my money for the meantime and just take a break from running. Plan at the moment is to give the foot a rest until monday week, so 9 days off

I really do need to get training properly after that though as I have a lot of events coming up. I have been icing the foot and rolling it over golf balls for the last 2 days and it does feel a bit better. I might visit the physio next week If I am still feeling pain midweek.

Don't know what I'll do with myself next week. I might have to go back to the gym (haven't been since february) just to keep myself sane!!
Im injured at the moment myself and what I do is get on the bike and head up the mountains do some hill intervals. Very tough training trust me. I know its not sports specific but it'll keep the heart and lungs ticking over nicely until you can run again. Also the stationary bike in the gym can be very good if you're creative enough.
Thanks from:
15-11-2010, 16:34   #802
menoscemo

Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....
15-11-2010, 17:03   #803
jackyback

Quote:
Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....
Hopefully it is nothing too serious but best to get it checked out. I am going to do Waterford BTW so hope to see you down there, will see how the next few training runs go you never know might head out with you to target the 1.32 - 1.34 half. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!
16-11-2010, 19:39   #804
menoscemo

Crisis averted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb3 View Post
Have a look at peroneal tendon injury on google. had it myself last year as did seanynova, was thinking stress fracture myself when i got it. 2 - 3 weeks was all it took to get right
Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday
Advertisement
16-11-2010, 20:39   #805
kennyb3

Quote:
Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday
Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.
16-11-2010, 21:01   #806
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb3 View Post
Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.
I've been running it over golf balls and icing it since saturday. It was already probably mostly recovered as a result when I went to the physio today.
Thanks from:
18-11-2010, 19:32   #807
menoscemo

Wednesday 17th
Gym: First time I have been there since February
20 minutes cross trainer.
Rower: 2k warm up, 5x500m sprints w 1 min recover, 2k warm down.
20 minutes on the bike:

Various weights including a failed attempt at 3x 21 pressups.

Positives:I notice I can maintain a much higher effort level on the cardio machines than I used to. I kept a 250 watt average on the cross trainer (160 step/min at level 13) while barely breaking a sweat. 9 months ago 20 minutes at 200 watts was a struggle.

Negatives: I have got seriously weak. Even in the leg push machine I am well down on what I used to do. I used to be able for 50 straight pressups as well. My chest muscles are killing me today, I'll proabbly need a few more days off before attempting to complete 3 x 21 pressups again. Why oh why didn't I just start the pressup challenge at 3 x10 o 3 x 15 (instead of 3 x 20) and just build up . Hopefully this pressup challenge will keep me motivated on improving strength. It's also about time I bought a bar and a bench to do some proper weights, I have been talking about it for months. I have only a month left on my gym membership and won't be renewing.

I am also 3kg up in weight since the marathon . I suspected as much but didn't bother checking. I should have known that what you eat whie doing 50 miles a week should not be the same as what you eat when doin 10-15miles a week. So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight)

Thursday 18th
5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...
18-11-2010, 21:25   #808
Aimman

Quote:
So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight)

Thursday 18th
5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...
Good call on finishing the ice cream tonight. When I got into the car after the run, I phoned in my last voucher for the Indian Takeaway, feasted on more chillies then you could shake a fire extinguisher at!

I'm back on track with the weight management and training, seeing as we are going to be pacing buddies in Cork.
19-11-2010, 00:02   #809
sarsfieldsrock

Good to hear the injury isn't too serious. A stress fracture would have seen you off for 6 weeks and it would have been difficult to preparer properly for Conn then.
Keep eating the ice cream though. That should see me all right on race day!
Thanks from:
19-11-2010, 10:40   #810
jcsmum

Great, you're back out running again.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed