Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Watty has a good post about it in this thread: http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055630274

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In summary , it should be less worse than 3g at its worst but it is still Midband :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The press release sounds like a load of balls. I just heard on the radio that this is 15 times faster than current broadband speeds available in Ireland. With UPC giving 20Mbps, does this mean this new product is 300Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I listened to the piece on the radio about it, no mention of speeds or price, surely these are the first two things you talk about :confused:

Other than 15 times faster, there was no mention of what this will do.

The usual guff about Irish people choosing mobile broadband came up too. People here don't choose mobile midband, there is often no choice.

The award for most annoying website ever has to go to Imagine with their marketing gimp spouting nonsense, with absolutely no technical information available. Just check it out... or not (recommended).

• Advertisement

Dreadful website that , very hard to see what is on offer where you live ...and Imagine resell DSL which is their single most widely available product .

By the time you navigate as far as the business end you could well have given up .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can someone explain why a Wimax-based service is being treated as midband?? Less rhetoric, more facts please. And all that I know about the service is from what the RTE.ie article said, and that is that it's using WiMax technology.

I read watty's post in another thread (an accurate post from what I can see) but to say that it's a rollout of mobile WiMax is nothing more than a guess on the evidence I have, including what Watty said in that post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61287677&postcount=3

Well, Imagine are calling it mobile Wimax, so it fits the description that Watty gave. As such, it should stay here for now. If anyone can find actual information on this, please post it. Imagine's site is devoid of anything remotely informative or technical, which is rarely positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Its all Media hype if you ask me and just giving Imaine/Irish broadband free advertisement.
    I bet Watty is sitting out there on the side just itching to give his 2 cents on the subject!

It is a mobile wimax ripwave replacement and in the limited 3.5ghz spectrum available to Imagine it simply must be midband because them oul laws of physics apply.

Were we to be certain that they had 100mhz of spectrum at 2.6ghz we could be entitled to assume it might be other than Midband .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a mobile wimax ripwave replacement and in the limited 3.5ghz spectrum available to Imagine it simply must be midband because them oul laws of physics apply.

Were we to be certain that they had 100mhz of spectrum at 2.6ghz we could be entitled to assume it might be other than Midband .

Breeze operates at 3.5G but this is considered Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Imagine have said they'll be rolling it out with a 8mb speed to start with (could go to 17mb but they're not going that fast) They've said they'll eventually have the capacity to go up to 20mb, 40mb and even 100mb with Wimax. Intel and motorola are backing them.

From a press conference today via http://twitter.com/adrianweckler

Here we go on Wimax launch with Imagine. First spin already - "4G".

"It's not all about speed." Uh oh.

Okay, 8mbs is the speed. 17mbs possible, but 8mbs on offer

"We've obtained enough spectrum to deliver future Wimax speeds of 40, 60, 100mbs."

Dublin, Athlone, Wexford, Sligo first to be covered by Wimax. Live now.

Jim O'Hara, Intel boss (who's here): "this Wimax is vital to Irish smart economy. And only on Intel laptops."

Now Motorola boss presenting. Cliché alert! "Exciting day... power of the internet... broadband is electricity of 21st century..."

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

and how much of that amazing 8 mb would you actually get since id imagine its up to 8 mb and not 8 mg guaranteed for each customer.

and what are they comparing with their 15 times faster.
    with no technical information and just some prat spouting rubbish over and over , it looks like this is just a big old hype.

Our glorious leader was quoted on the radio saying this would make is the envy of Europe in the broad band field. i wonder what places in Europe's he was referring too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No one ''guarantees'' their broadband speed. It's always ''up tp''.

ah i know that, but 8 mbs would be fast if you got all 8mbs.
    not sure whats supposed to be so amazing about getting 8 mbs though, plenty of people offer similar services

Exactly as I thought, their press release was nothing but hype and fud. 15 times faster, me arse. Let's see, what's one 15th of 8Mbps? Hmm.... oh yeah, Imagine's own Ripwave service.

cant believe i got hooked by the hype so easily, i wanted to believe it was true, after hearing it in the car i ran in home to check and was instantly disappointed after realising there was no real information provided on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

meh give them a chance to arse it up before slamming them I say.

The Taoiseach is there I imagine because it involves Intel more than Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled about what exactly is being offered.

Is it definitely using 3.5Ghz? How much is it for the basic package? Is there any caps on the basic package? What's the max down/upload speeds?

I logged onto the imagine website and signed up, but this reminds me of the great deal that SMART marketed back in 2005/06. I signed up back then but nothing was ever delivered before the company went bust.

The location maps are here:
    http://www.imagine.ie/view-coverage-locations.html

in general i have found that anything that sounds great but on closer inspection tells you very little about itself is generally too good to be true.

But i am going to be hopelessly optimistic and hope I am wrong and it turns out great.

In the mean time ill just have to keep my self occupied with this new job i have seen where i can make thousands of dollars a day from my own home ............ cant wait

• Advertisement

nohopengn wrote: »
    How much is it for the basic package? Is there any caps on the basic package? What's the max down/upload speeds?

I can't see any information on any of that so far. Claims of it being faster and cheaper than "current broadband solutions" are very spurious at best, if not outright lies.
    I logged onto the imagine website and signed up, but this reminds me of the great deal that SMART marketed back in 2005/06. I signed up back then but nothing was ever delivered before the company went bust.

Smart never went bust.

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled about what exactly is being offered.

Is it definitely using 3.5Ghz? How much is it for the basic package? Is there any caps on the basic package? What's the max down/upload speeds?

The location maps are here:
    http://www.imagine.ie/view-coverage-locations.html

That is a terrible coverage map, you can't move it and top location is cut off (at least in Opera).

thebman wrote: »
    That is a terrible coverage map, you can't move it and top location is cut off (at least in Opera).

Same in Firefox. It may as well be an animated gif, for all the good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I was listening to the radio in the car today and heard the "press release". I kept shouting "its not broadband!"

Intel.........they would sell their granny for a quick €.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

jor el wrote: »
    Smart never went bust.

Definition of bust from freedictionary.com - 4. To cause to become bankrupt or short of money

In October 2006 SMART couldn't pay Eircom a €4million bill. Later that month the company was bought by a company controlled by Murtagh.

Given that they are the facts, not sure how you can say SMART never went bust??

Definition of bust from freedictionary.com - 4. To cause to become bankrupt or short of money

In October 2006 SMART couldn't pay Eircom a €4million bill. Later that month the company was bought by a company controlled by Murtagh.

Given that they are the facts, not sure how you can say SMART never went bust??

They were taken off the stock exchange, but they never went bankrupt, it never went into liquidation or receivership and no examiner was appointed. They never ceased trading, though they did stop their telephone only services. The company never went bust.

jor el wrote: »
    Same in Firefox. It may as well be an animated gif, for all the good it is.

yeah and that looks very much like a screenshot from Google maps.

Could be terms of use violation. I'd assume it is as its unlikely that Imagine needed to have ferry lines on their map.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Wasnt there a song called "IMAGINE" and I think it sums up this latest wheeze as well.

gb--

thebman wrote: »
    yeah and that looks very much like a screenshot from Google maps.

Could be terms of use violation. I'd assume it is as its unlikely that Imagine needed to have ferry lines on their map.

Search for Dublin on Google maps, and you get that exact same image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wimax might be grand for the cities but anyone living in the arse end of nowhere is fúcked.

"Deploying WiMAX in rural areas with limited or no internet backbone will be challenging as additional methods and hardware will be required to procure sufficient bandwidth from the nearest sources — the difficulty being in proportion to the distance between the end-user and the nearest sufficient internet backbone."

Advertisement