A good METAL amp - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2009, 22:06   #16
ride-the-spiral

The Spiders are pretty much famous for being crap amps, as are the MGs. I also have the 100dfx and can vouch for that...
Plus if your looking for a good tone with a few pedals or whatever, you don't need a modelling amp to the effects for you.

I highly recommend stretching your budget. You'll be alot happier in the long run. Also be aware with tube amps that as you raise the volume on them they go into overdrive, so the tone you get at a low volume in your bedroom won't be the same as what you get at high volume.

You could get an attenuator with that, but that's an extra 300 euro.

Most people say that tube amps are better than solid states but it all comes down to the amp itself, there are many solid state amps that are better than tube amps for the same price. Avoid "Hybrid" amps too. They only have one valve in the preamp which doesn't affect the sound that much, so it's not going to sound that different to a solid state. Of course these are only "rules of thumb" so try whatever you want buy.

Last edited by ride-the-spiral; 13-10-2009 at 22:10.
Advertisement
13-10-2009, 23:39   #17
brendansmith

Dimebag was the ultimate shredder and he used a solidstate randall................................. so there.
14-10-2009, 01:23   #18
CianRyan

He switched to Krank Tube amps before he died.
14-10-2009, 01:28   #19
brendansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CianRyan View Post
He switched to Krank Tube amps before he died.
Yes but not on his best work.
14-10-2009, 20:46   #20
Demeyes

If you are serious about getting a good metal tone then you'll probably have to spend a bit more than 500, even going 2nd hand. I'd suggest that if you plan in playing in a band then you'll probably want to go for a head and cab setup, which will be outside your budget.
There is the Bugera stuff which are cheap tube amps that are less expensive clones of some other companies amp models. These will get you a great metal tone but there has been talk of some reliability issues with them in the past, but these have apparently been rectified. You could even get something within your budget if you go this route.
You can pick up some nice tube combo's too but most are aimed more towards the classic rock end of things. Laney and Peavey do some nice cheaper tube combos that will probably get you a workable metal tone if you run a pedal in front. Pedalwise I'd recommend something along the lines of an OD or booster as opposed to a distortion pedal like the ones you have. The trick is to push your amp into a more distorted state instead of just using the clean channel and getting all your tone from the pedal.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2009, 19:15   #21
Nahguavkire

Engl Powerball/ Fireball... Game over, it's the best metal amp by far...
19-10-2009, 15:28   #22
subzero12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahguavkire View Post
ive owned them both and there good amps but honestly they cant beat a 6505+ or a framus cobra with a maxon ts808 infront of them.
19-10-2009, 18:40   #23
Thornography

Send a message via MSN to Thornography
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahguavkire View Post
Iv been looking at these and there defiantly top of my list to look out for.

But I still think there not metal enough.
19-10-2009, 18:50   #24
Dangerous Man

I have the ENGL Screamer 50. ENGL does metal, believe me. The bass player from my old band showed up at my house one day with an ESP with EMG pups. For me, a horrible guitar but when he put it through the ENGL on the 'Heavy Lead' channel I was nearly sent through the window. Blazing distortion with practically endless sustain. I'm not a metal player - more of a rock guy but if I wanted metal I know my amp could deliver. In spades.
I'd love to have the fireball head / cab arrangement actually. Sweet.
Advertisement
19-10-2009, 19:06   #25
Thornography

Send a message via MSN to Thornography
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Man View Post
I have the ENGL Screamer 50. ENGL does metal, believe me. The bass player from my old band showed up at my house one day with an ESP with EMG pups. For me, a horrible guitar but when he put it through the ENGL on the 'Heavy Lead' channel I was nearly sent through the window. Blazing distortion with practically endless sustain. I'm not a metal player - more of a rock guy but if I wanted metal I know my amp could deliver. In spades.
I'd love to have the fireball head / cab arrangement actually. Sweet.
X-music doesnt seem to do them

does anyone know where does? and how much ?
19-10-2009, 19:11   #26
Dangerous Man

Here ya go: I got mine from these guys too (also bought the Z5 footswitch a brilliant, but pricey accessory.)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/engl_scream...7430e00df1da2f
20-10-2009, 02:06   #27
Karl Hungus
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornography View Post
But I still think there not metal enough.
Hah!

Honestly, it just doesn't get more Metal than Engl. I'd still say try second hand, you should be able to get a Thunder 50, or maybe Screamer 50. If you're unconvinced that Engl isn't metal enough, take a peek a this:

20-10-2009, 02:37   #28
Dangerous Man

Damn... that'll make your eyes water for sure. That kind of music is the reason I don't like metal but by God do I admire players who can do THAT! Amazing playing.
Thanks from:
20-10-2009, 10:17   #29
Paolo_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Hah!

Honestly, it just doesn't get more Metal than Engl. I'd still say try second hand, you should be able to get a Thunder 50, or maybe Screamer 50. If you're unconvinced that Engl isn't metal enough, take a peek a this:

Demz some metal tonz alright.
Not a big fan of this style of music but the tone is perfect.
Lots of clear punchy mids, not too much low and not too much gain, which seem to be the common "mistakes" metallers make.
ENGLs have the perfect sound for what appears to be called "teh brootz", I think that's what the modern kids call the Lamb Of God etc. sound.
Oh God, I'm so old and out of it

Last edited by Paolo_M; 20-10-2009 at 10:38.
Thanks from:
20-10-2009, 12:37   #30
stestevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo_M View Post
You'd probably pick up a 5150 combo second for a bit more if you could stretch your budget, though personally I'd change out the speakers.
Most valve combos are not really suited to full on metal but the 5150 doesn't have the valves suspended in the speaker chamber and sounds great as long as you watch where the gain control is set, 7 is even too much on the red channel.

Something like the Orange Tiny Terror does pretty convincing metal tones when boosted by the right pedal. You'd pick up the head version and a decent 2 X 12 second hand for that money either.

For 2 x 12 twelve you'll be wanting closed backed, oversized if possible and loaded with something like a V30 or GK100 for metal. Getting this right is super important for convincing metal sounds.

The ENGL Screamer might be too far beyond your budget.

Personally I wouldn't touch the DSL/TSL Marshalls with a 10 foot barge pole, and I doubt you'd pick up a JCM series for that cash + they'd need heavy boosting anyway (but sound f*kin great with a clean boost for metal, if you do feel like splashing the cash!!)

Maybe some of the lads have more suggestions.
I have a tiny terror and you can get some savage tone out of it for all styles

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion