Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 03:47   #1
tallaght01
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,596
Studying medicine/dentistry/veterinary in Eastern Eurpope

I'll stick this thread up as a sticky. It seems a popular route for Irish people to take. So, I'll leave it here and see if anyone wants to chat about it. If not I'll unsticky it if it's not used.

So, if you are, or if you're planning on, studying med,dentistry and veterinary in one of the Eastern European unis, feel free to discuss it here.
tallaght01 is offline  
Advertisement
10-10-2009, 12:39   #2
mrmeindl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 305
I'm in Prague, 2nd year med, I know a few dentists out here too, If someone has any serious questions about studying here just go on ahead.

If the questions are along the lines of "my uncles cousins dog trainer friend said that Prague is ****" I wont waste the time replying.
mrmeindl is offline  
11-10-2009, 10:12   #3
tallaght01
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,596
What's the entrance process like?

Do you know any people who've finished their training and got onto training schemes in Ireland?

How do you find living there? Somewhere like prague must be pretty amazing to live in? What do you do for accommodation?
tallaght01 is offline  
13-10-2009, 12:46   #4
imported_guy
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeindl View Post
I'm in Prague, 2nd year med, I know a few dentists out here too, If someone has any serious questions about studying here just go on ahead.

If the questions are along the lines of "my uncles cousins dog trainer friend said that Prague is ****" I wont waste the time replying.
do we need to know their language for the clinicals? or can we transfer to somewhere like UCC UCD etc, or some carbien schools after the first 2 years?
imported_guy is offline  
20-10-2009, 16:40   #5
sam34
Moderator
 
sam34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,245
ok guys, we dont need jibes and sniping here.
i've deleted a few posts, please keep the thread on topic from now on.
sam34 is offline  
Advertisement
23-10-2009, 12:50   #6
mrmeindl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallaght01 View Post
What's the entrance process like?

Do you know any people who've finished their training and got onto training schemes in Ireland?

How do you find living there? Somewhere like prague must be pretty amazing to live in? What do you do for accommodation?

Entrance process for most of the facultys is mostly the same; Entrance exam at A level standard in Physics, Biology and Chemistry, sometimes there's an interview I believe, I didn't have one. They also look at your LC results, I dont think they really care. I repeated once back home, didn't get in and I was not interested in repeating again. Its (relatively) easy to get in but its sure as hell not easy to stay in. Attrition rate is very high, eg 64 in first year in 07-08 there's less than 30 in 3rd year now.

There are 2 lads who did their GP training in the UK; one is doing the locum thing at the moment, not sure about the other. One lad graduated last year from the 1st Fac and is in FY1 in Scotland at the mo because of nepotism bull**** he couldn’t get a place for his internship back home. Hopefully I’ll manage to get an internship in Ireland, don’t really fancy spending 2 years in the UK.
Prague itself is a deadly city; it’s a completely different experience to studying at home in Dublin. Most of the people in my faculty are Scandinavians so you get to know people all over the world and you end up with some pretty cool places to visit during the summer if you can. Nightclubs don’t close till around 6 on average, and drink is dirt cheap. Being that we don’t go out as much as our counterparts in the motherland because of the amount of tests/exams we have.
We(all the paddys at least) rent apartments, rent is pretty similar to what a student back home will pay but the apartment will be a hell of a lot nicer than the student houses i’ve crashed in back home. I pay roughly €80-90 per week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_guy View Post
do we need to know their language for the clinicals? or can we transfer to somewhere like UCC UCD etc, or some carbien schools after the first 2 years?
You need to have sufficient czech by third year to be able to ask the patients questions. You have 2 czech classes a week in 1st thru 3rd year. I'm not aware of anyone who's transferred back to Ireland, there is a the odd transfer between the different facultys. People who fail tend to go transfer somewhere easier eg Poland.

Aren't the carribean schools the joke places where the degree is only accepted in Zimbabwe?
mrmeindl is offline  
25-10-2009, 12:38   #7
Anthony16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeindl View Post
Entrance process for most of the facultys is mostly the same; Entrance exam at A level standard in Physics, Biology and Chemistry, sometimes there's an interview I believe, I didn't have one. They also look at your LC results, I dont think they really care. I repeated once back home, didn't get in and I was not interested in repeating again. Its (relatively) easy to get in but its sure as hell not easy to stay in. Attrition rate is very high, eg 64 in first year in 07-08 there's less than 30 in 3rd year now.

There are 2 lads who did their GP training in the UK; one is doing the locum thing at the moment, not sure about the other. One lad graduated last year from the 1st Fac and is in FY1 in Scotland at the mo because of nepotism bull**** he couldn’t get a place for his internship back home. Hopefully I’ll manage to get an internship in Ireland, don’t really fancy spending 2 years in the UK.
Prague itself is a deadly city; it’s a completely different experience to studying at home in Dublin. Most of the people in my faculty are Scandinavians so you get to know people all over the world and you end up with some pretty cool places to visit during the summer if you can. Nightclubs don’t close till around 6 on average, and drink is dirt cheap. Being that we don’t go out as much as our counterparts in the motherland because of the amount of tests/exams we have.
We(all the paddys at least) rent apartments, rent is pretty similar to what a student back home will pay but the apartment will be a hell of a lot nicer than the student houses i’ve crashed in back home. I pay roughly €80-90 per week.




You need to have sufficient czech by third year to be able to ask the patients questions. You have 2 czech classes a week in 1st thru 3rd year. I'm not aware of anyone who's transferred back to Ireland, there is a the odd transfer between the different facultys. People who fail tend to go transfer somewhere easier eg Poland.

Aren't the carribean schools the joke places where the degree is only accepted in Zimbabwe?
How many paddys are in your faculty?
Anthony16 is offline  
26-10-2009, 20:54   #8
mrmeindl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony16 View Post
How many paddys are in your faculty?

9 and we have 1 or 2 people who come from Ireland but aren't Irish. There's roughly another 12 between the other 2 Fac's and dentists.
mrmeindl is offline  
28-10-2009, 18:53   #9
Anthony16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeindl View Post
9 and we have 1 or 2 people who come from Ireland but aren't Irish. There's roughly another 12 between the other 2 Fac's and dentists.
And is the degree accepted in the US?Do you know of anyone who is doing residency there having completed medicine in prague?I ask this as irealise that if i do medicine in eastern europe i most likely wont be able to return to ireland or the uk
Anthony16 is offline  
Advertisement
03-11-2009, 18:49   #10
src
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony16 View Post
And is the degree accepted in the US?Do you know of anyone who is doing residency there having completed medicine in prague?I ask this as irealise that if i do medicine in eastern europe i most likely wont be able to return to ireland or the uk
I know that medical degrees from Hungary are accepted in Ireland, in the UK and in the US as well.

Also, as far as I know, Norway now does not train medical doctors in Norway, but they send the students to Hungarian Medical Schools. (to Budapest and Debrecen)

Last edited by src; 03-11-2009 at 18:53.
src is offline  
03-11-2009, 18:55   #11
Anthony16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
I know that medical degrees from Hungary are accepted in Ireland, in the UK and in the US as well.

Also, as far as I know, Norway now does not train medical doctors in Norway, but they send the students to Hungarian Medical Schools. (to Budapest and Debrecen)
Where did you find this info?Are you in a foreign medical school?Thanks
Anthony16 is offline  
04-11-2009, 16:34   #12
Sitric
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 215
There are four medical schools in Norway: Oslo, Bergen, Tromso and Trondheim. There may be one in Stavanger too but i'm not sure.
Sitric is offline  
04-11-2009, 21:49   #13
mrmeindl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony16 View Post
And is the degree accepted in the US?
Yes. You still have to do usmle's and the step 1&2, the same applies if you come from an irish college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony16 View Post
Do you know of anyone who is doing residency there having completed medicine in prague?
Yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony16 View Post
I ask this as irealise that if i do medicine in eastern europe i most likely wont be able to return to ireland or the uk
I'm definitely coming home after, as are most of the paddys here. Its news to me that I wont be able to work in Ireland. I'm prepared to bring people to court for the sake of fairness if I'm not able to secure an internship in Ireland.
mrmeindl is offline  
04-11-2009, 21:53   #14
mrmeindl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
I know that medical degrees from Hungary are accepted in Ireland, in the UK and in the US as well.
They'd be accepted to the same level as any other degree from an EU country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Also, as far as I know, Norway now does not train medical doctors in Norway,
100% incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
but they send the students
Wrong again. Norway does not "send" students abroad to study the students simply apply to whatever college that is recognised and they get the same amount of government support as their colleagues studying in Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
to Hungarian Medical Schools. (to Budapest and Debrecen)
There's a lot in Prague, Hradec Kralove, Brno, Plzen, and Poland too.
mrmeindl is offline  
04-11-2009, 22:01   #15
Pete4779
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeindl View Post
I'm definitely coming home after, as are most of the paddys here. Its news to me that I wont be able to work in Ireland. I'm prepared to bring people to court for the sake of fairness if I'm not able to secure an internship in Ireland.
You will be able to work in Ireland but finding a job may be another issue.

http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/registr...ternship.asp#2

It's pretty straightforward from above to register for Intern on the new Trainee Specialist register. That is *only* valid for Internship. As you can see, they have different procedures from Irish medical schools and EU/EEA schools. There are far more graduates from the five schools than places. If you are planning on returning to Ireland I would recommend doing observerships, etc., here as much as possible.

As such, there is no "right" to internship and so you will be suing no-one . Basically, you will be competing for spots against local graduates who will have relevant local experience. This makes it similar to the US and why people in Carribean schools do electives, etc., in the US to improve their CV.

If you get fully registered in another EU state however, you could then look to transfer that to Ireland if you get a place on a speciality training scheme. The new Medical Practitioners Act has made things much more ....comprehensive....(!) then before, and registration will be much more regulated, and for what purpose, etc., .

Last edited by Pete4779; 04-11-2009 at 22:05.
Pete4779 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet